Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Forester Touring
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2020 Forester Touring acouple weeks ago. After spending the last couple of weeks learning how all of the safety features work, I have finally turned to the infotainment system, and downloaded the MySubaru app and the Subaru STARLINK app. Today I tried using the MySubaru app (while I was sitting in it) to lock the doors, just to see how it worked. But it gave me the error below:
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Electric blue
(As an aside, I am an editor by trade, so seeing Forrester misspelled on What I assume is an official Subaru app makes me a little crazy.)

So I called the number, explain what had happened and gave the nice lady on the other end of the call the error code. And she told me that I would need to schedule a service appointment to have it looked at. And I said, "I bought the car a couple of weeks ago, and it's only 1-year-old, so will there be any cost for this?" And of course she couldn't answer that question. So I guess I will call my dealership next week and see what they say.

But after doing a lot of research tonight online, I'm getting a bit nervous that maybe I have somewhat of a lemon. It seems that about 50% of people that have the MySubaru app and STARLINK, experience regular problems.

The car is awesome even without the apps. I can listen to what I want to listen to and Android Auto is something I'm very familiar with, so I can use that, but I feel like having a top-of-the-line model that is supposed to include the ability to remote start the car and set the climate control (which also seems to be a problematic feature for many owner) isn't getting me off on a good foot with this car.isn't getting me off on a good foot with this car.

The only thing I can compare it to is my CR-V that I owned for 18 years, and it was rarely in the shop for anything at all. Granted it had basically no technology in it, so far fewer things to go wrong.

As I'm finding that issues with STARLINK and MySubaru seem rather widespread, I'm getting a little concerned.

Anyone running to this before? Was there a simple fix? Because everything I've read has led me to believe that it simply cannot be fixed without an entirely new unit being put in

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,521 Posts
You appear to be rendering judgment before the trial has even started. I have a 19 Touring, and the MySubaru App has always worked when I tried it, although I rarely use it.

Why not go by the dealer, as requested by the representative in your call, and then see what you find out? There’s plenty of time to panic later on, if you find your issues can’t be resolved. Remember, the folks that owned the car prior to you may have had the App set up as well, and I’m guessing you wouldn’t want the previous owner accessing your vehicle thru the App. It’s possible it’s as simple as establishing you as the bonafide owner.

Comparing a late model car with a 18+ year old vehicle really isn’t justifiable in any real sense … there just isn’t any true comparison, regardless of manufacturer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
23 Posts
definitely take it up with the dealer. In my part of the world they are very helpful, and will usually try to help first, and discuss the cost second if those first steps don't work. I wonder if it isn't still linked to the previous owner, and wiping the account clean might alleviate the problem. I have run into a couple issues linking our 2016 Touring to us, as it seems the previous owner also used My Subaru.

Don't freak out, this is all par of making the car truly yours. It will be worth the work, I think.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
248 Posts
@Jenny Scruggs It's not the vehicle and you're definitely not alone. It's an IT issue with SOA. I had the same thing happen with the mySubaru app with my '17 and I'm not a Starlink subscriber. I use the app because it's less time consuming to look up my service records that way and it's easier to get to the coupons when it comes time to pay at the service counter. Called SOA customer service and they had everything fully restored within a couple of days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree take it up with the dealer. I have activated mysubaru app thru the email they sent me. They did advise me to not register on my own, instead wait for that specific email. Works great!

·
Premium Member
2020 Forester Touring
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much, y'all. I will call the dealership next week, and go there. I think I started to panic because I've just paid $35K in cash for a car that seems to have some known issues. But my panic is definitely premature. Appreciate y'all talking some sense into me.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring AWD
33 Posts
I had a 2019 Forester and now a 2020 and they both have incredible issues with the infotainment deck, Starlink, etc. I posted elsewhere here because I found after the dealer and corporate denied knowing of these issues but that there are prior class action settlements since the 2018 deck changes, as well as pending litigation. I definitely just want a working car, not a lawsuit, but just letting you know there is quite a bit known about this. I was informed by corporate and my dealership that there should be a huge update that may fix a lot of it that was supposed to be in mid-August 2021, but has been postponed until at least September. Fingers crossed. Feel free to DM me if I can be of any additional help since I have been dealing with this for a few years now.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,521 Posts
I have had a 19 Touring with NAV, purchased new, , and have the most recent software updates loaded.

In my case, I’ve experienced zero problems.

So, while not disputing your claims, they aren’t totally universal.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring AWD
33 Posts
I have had a 19 Touring with NAV, purchased new, , and have the most recent software updates loaded.

In my case, I’ve experienced zero problems.

So, while not disputing your claims, they aren’t totally universal.
I agree! My husband got a new Crosstrek at the same time I got my Forester Touring and has no issues, although he doesn’t have all the same features
(although the same HK/Samsung deck). You are very lucky if you don’t have any of these problems! I am sincerely envious. It was only in researching online if I was an isolated case of these things that I found so many other similar complaints. It does seem to be hit or miss, though. Subaru has been awesome handling things, and very nice to work with. They do seem to be aware now that these are some known issues, thus the pending “big update“ according to them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts