Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) I will never do another hitch install on my own again. This is the third car (prius and crosstrek prior) that I've DIY the hitch. I kept getting stuck and frustrated with this one even though there was no drilling required. The exhaust removal and reinstall was a pain!

2) If you plan on having a hitch bike rack, expect the rear auto brake and sensors to not work.

3) Kuat racks sit super close to the exhaust. I turned the front wheel holder facing the other way so it wasn't butting up against and potentially melting from the exhaust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I feel you bro. Installed mine its a concealed class III drawtite hitch. The most painful in my experience was installing it by myself. Using substantial amount of WD40 before removing the bolts for muffler to flange connection and hangers makes it easy when removing and putting it back. I just haven’t found a spare edge guard for the cut out to make it looks nicer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got the same hitch from Draw-Tite and thought the install was quite simple on my vehicle. Cutting and filing the muffler heat-shield was the only time consuming part for me since I didn't want to do a hack job of it.

For heat management when my Yakima HoldUp EVO rack is in use, I install a downturn exhaust tip and utilize a Kuat Hi-Lo extension.

·
Registered
102 Posts
For anyone doing the install yourself. I would suggest an exhaust hanger removal tool and a pair of tin snips.

OH and a second helper to lift the hitch and install.

·
Registered
11 Posts
what torque did you guys put on those bolts? Lost the manual but i find online it says 110 ft-lb of torque and thats a lot i can feel either the bolt or the frame of the car is going to snap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts