Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7/17/2022. On Route 89southbound. Deer out of nowhere hit my Forester low on left & bounced up & off windshield. Got car to breakdown lane & within minutes the car was fully inflamed & exploded! I got out & got my dog out. Glasses, purse, & phone all burned. Car totaled. Still recovering. Not hurt but PTSD.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,213 Posts
Deer out of nowhere...
Well, the deer came out of the forest, not from "nowhere" and it didn't hit the Forester, the Forester hit the deer.

I live in deer (and elk!) country, and you have to watch out for them, because they don't watch out for you.

Do yourself a favor and put a deer whistle (or two) on your car.
It will save both the car and the deer next time.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,076 Posts
Check out a device known as the "XP3 Hornet" deer warning system. We used to live in NJ which was overrun with deer and later moved to NH where it wasn't as bad, now live in FL so no need BUT I depended on the Hornet for 25 years in NJ and found that it definitely helped!

The website is still up and running so just do a Google search for the product and judge yourself.

Glad that you survived..........

·
Registered
362 Posts
Check out a device known as the "XP3 Hornet" deer warning system. We used to live in NJ which was overrun with deer and later moved to NH where it wasn't as bad, now live in FL so no need BUT I depended on the Hornet for 25 years in NJ and found that it definitely helped!

The website is still up and running so just do a Google search for the product and judge yourself.

Glad that you survived..........
I'm not knocking the XP3 as I have never heard of it before. However, I do want to note that just because you have not hit a deer does not mean the unit works. Its tough to prove anything from a negative outcome. I looked at their website as I live in NH and travel around Northern New England a great deal and am always wary of Deer and Moose (Moose collisions result in driver death, but deer collisions generally only kill the car) I looked at the XP3 website and was singularly unimpressed by the claim of "latest military technology". $90 minimum plus brackets, etc. seems costly. Personally, I use those $ 3 plastic units that you can buy on eBay and stick on your bumper. I have not hit a deer, but it does not mean they work either.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,484 Posts
Glad you and your dog are OK, @state car .

it didn't hit the Forester, the Forester hit the deer.
I actually had a deer hit my minivan once. Stopped for a deer running across the road, and another deer ran into the side of the stopped van. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I honestly think deer are using my Forester as a mechanism for suicide. I've hit 5, three of which resulted in visits to the body shop. (No, I don't want to see my CarFax, thank you!) I have dashcam video, too. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,213 Posts
@OutbackJon

Do you have a deer whistle or similar device?
Maybe you should get one.. ;)

The jury seems to be out on effectiveness, but one thing that may make a difference is the speed you are driving...
At high interstate speeds, the deer might hear and react to the whistle, but not have enough time to avoid the car.

Anyway, I had a friend who bought a new van, was driving it a few weeks later and an elk bashed the beejebers into the side of it, so yes, sometimes it isn't the vehicle that hits the Cervidae family member..

In the case of the OP, it sounded otherwise.

One thing that can help in my experience, is using the fog lights at night.
They shine out some light to the sides and it helps to spot the critter considering a stroll across the roadway.
That won't stop the deer, but it has allowed me to slow down and miss.
I also use deer whistles.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,076 Posts
I'm not knocking the XP3 as I have never heard of it before. However, I do want to note that just because you have not hit a deer does not mean the unit works. Its tough to prove anything from a negative outcome. I looked at their website as I live in NH and travel around Northern New England a great deal and am always wary of Deer and Moose (Moose collisions result in driver death, but deer collisions generally only kill the car) I looked at the XP3 website and was singularly unimpressed by the claim of "latest military technology". $90 minimum plus brackets, etc. seems costly. Personally, I use those $ 3 plastic units that you can buy on eBay and stick on your bumper. I have not hit a deer, but it does not mean they work either.
Oh, I agree. I'm not a shill for the product by any means.......but, having lived in the area of NJ overrun by deer, every bit of preemptive care and defensive driving helps. The reason that I tend to believe that the Hornet DOES work is because as I regularly drove home on the road in question, on several occasions, deer came lunging out of the side of the road and sharply diverted from the road as soon as they were within 100 feet or so of my car as it approached. Proof? No, of course not BUT this happened so many times to me, in our time in Hunterdon City, NJ that I felt that the product was worth a mention. Also had a close call with a moose when we lived in NH, again, with the Hornet powered on. Coincidence? Maybe........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts