Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
2020 Toyota 4-runner Trail
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My transmission is being fully replaced under warranty at a dealership. It sounded like a loud whirring or flapping that disappeared above 40km/h, but was loud at low speeds, especially when coming to a stop. Sound was wheel-speed-dependent, not RPM-dependent. Noise was present in D, N, and R. Noise was not heard at a standstill. Loudest at 10km/h. On the hoist in D, sound was obviously from CVT box, not any specific wheel. The sound reminded me of when we used to attach a baseball card to our bike as kids, so that it flapped in the rear spokes as we rode. I had no perceivable loss of power—just the sound. Subaru does not attempt to rebuild the CVT. They just remove it and replace the entire unit. Makes me wonder about the reliability of these CVTs, especially after the big warranty extension recall on the older CVTs. Not thrilled with this 2020 Forester Limited so far.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,004 Posts
There is no reliability issue on the CVT. You had a bad one, that's all. The warranty extension was for early models in the SJ series (2014-2018) and not a recall. It's been extended more as a "good will' gesture and may (or may not be) related to some failures due to limited (no) maintenance on the CVT as it was believed to be (at the time) maintenance free.

And yes, they just replace the entire unit - it's cheaper and (if you read another thread on CVTs) often is better to go this route so that you know it was properly redone and not just somebody poking around and maybe not knowing exactly what they're doing.

PS - it wasn't that big of an extension. It went to 10 years/100,000 miles from 5 years 60 (or was it 7/70?)

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I had a 2017 XT, and I received a "Notice of Recall" informing me of the CVT warranty extension on that car. Here in Canada, it was legally handled as a recall. I'd argue that getting a "bad one" should not be a thing, but seems to be commonplace, based on internet postings.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,004 Posts
Here in the US - it was not a recall - but a TSB and a notification was mailed.

And while getting a bad one should not be a thing, I'd dare say it's not really commonplace nor unheard of. Every car maker has issues - some big, some small - and sometimes you just get the target and others didn't.

Even if you only took the members of sf.org that have had an issue with their CVT (not caused by lack of maintenance) and compared that to the number of owners out here and then compared that to the numbers of CVTs in Subarus vs the number with failures and compared that to another major CVT user (such as Nissan), you'd find that it's a small percentage that have the issue.

Look, I'm not saying it's a great thing that you had an inssue with the transmission. But it happens. Life goes on.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look for my 2020 Forester Limited in Magnetite Grey with 8,000kms and a brand new tranny on leasebusters. Test drove a 4runner today—time to move on to actual reliability. If I wanted to drive a car that broke down, I'd get an old Range Rover and a matching parts car—and travel in style.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,004 Posts
Totally different vehicle and totally different set of issues.

Good luck.

PS - Toyotas break down too.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
In other news, water is wet. You seem like A) you're paid to defend Subaru and B) you need the last word.

PS 4runners are bulletproof. (not literally, keyboard warrior)

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,004 Posts
Nope and nope. I've just had enough cars in my lifetime to know that NOBODY makes a perfect vehicle any more and - frankly - have never made a perfect car. Even Toyotas get recalled. So do Hondas and Fords and Porsche and Mercedes and Volvo and ....

Buh-bye.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,218 Posts
Well since you joined 17 hours ago. And have decided in that period of time to buy a vehicle that's 1100 pounds heavier and 50% more expensive. It gives me pause to suggest you just dropped ion from the Toyota board. Well enjoy your less capable AWD.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope and nope. I've just had enough cars in my lifetime to know that NOBODY makes a perfect vehicle any more and - frankly - have never made a perfect car. Even Toyotas get recalled. So do Hondas and Fords and Porsche and Mercedes and Volvo and ....

Buh-bye.

I've owned a few cars, some from your elaborate list of makes. It's interesting—I never had a recall on any of them, and none of them ever broke down. In stark contrast, I've had 3 recalls on my 2017 Forester XT and a cooked transmission on my 2020 Forester within the first 10,000 kms. I see a pattern here.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well since you joined 17 hours ago. And have decided in that period of time to buy a vehicle that's 1100 pounds heavier and 50% more expensive. It gives me pause to suggest you just dropped ion from the Toyota board. Well enjoy your less capable AWD.

You get what you pay for. This is my 3rd and last Forester. If anyone has a valid opinion on Foresters, it's me. It's funny how this forum is more of a fanclub than actual facts. The 4runner will be my first Toyota, and I will certainly join that forum!

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,884 Posts
The 4Runner is a great vehicle but to get full-time 4WD and climate control, you need to buy their (ugly gaudy trimmed) Limited model. Otherwise, you are downgraded to part-time 4WD and manual air conditioning.

I like 4Runners a lot, but they drive like trucks which is great if you want to drive a truck. In my view of the global warming issues, this is not the time to buy a gas guzzler like the 4Runner unless you have very good reason to own one. If you carry rear seat passengers, they will be fairly miserable compared to the Forester in terms of legroom, and older folks will have to climb up into the 4Runner. Load height is at chest level. But a great vehicle for escaping a zombie holocaust. If you want an even uglier V8 version of the 4Runner that uses more gas, there is also the Lexus GX460 with its inexpiable side-swinging tailgate.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,004 Posts
While I don't need the last word -

You've been lucky in all of your other cars. EVERY MANUFACTURER has had a recall of one type or another. While a recall in Canada is different from a recall in the US - it still happens.

And no, you don't always get what you pay for ... extra price does not mean extra reliability. Period. NOBODY makes a car that does not have a problem.

I've had my 2014 Forester (non turbo) for over 7 years... 2 recalls - a brake light switch and rear coil springs. Did I get a notification about the extended warranty on the CVT, yep. Doesn't mean it's problematic. It's just what it is.

I can tell you exactly the problems I've had on my Forester (none of them CVT related, btw) and I could list dozens of problems I've had with higher priced and lower priced vehicles in my past. I've had some with no issues and others with recurring issues. I don't hide the repairs or the issues I've had and I don't gloss them over.

So have fun in your 4Runner and hope that you never have an issue.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 4Runner is a great vehicle but to get full-time 4WD and climate control, you need to buy their (ugly gaudy trimmed) Limited model. Otherwise, you are downgraded to part-time 4WD and manual air conditioning.

I like 4Runners a lot, but they drive like trucks which is great if you want to drive a truck. In my view of the global warming issues, this is not the time to buy a gas guzzler like the 4Runner unless you have very good reason to own one. If you carry rear seat passengers, they will be fairly miserable compared to the Forester in terms of legroom, and older folks will have to climb up into the 4Runner. Load height is at chest level. But a great vehicle for escaping a zombie holocaust. If you want an even uglier V8 version of the 4Runner that uses more gas, there is also the Lexus GX460 with its inexpiable side-swinging tailgate.
Thanks ever so much for this potpourri of subjective commentary.
Fuel: Forester is also a very thirsty vehicle
Towing capacity: Forester = LOL
Full-time AWD: Completely unnecessary unless you're Colin McRae
Looks: If you think Subarus are the height of beauty, I can recommend a good optometrist

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will say, my 2007 Forester XT 2.5 (5-sp manual) was a very good car. Fasssst. Very ugly—inside and out. But fast and tight. I loved that car. I humiliated a lot of Mercs and Bimmers in that car. It now lives in the mountains in British Columbia with my brother. It's at around 300,000kms. That is a great car. If I could buy that car today, new, I would.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
91 Posts
Looks: If you think Subarus are the height of beauty, I can recommend a good optometrist
Hmmm. Do you know what is the definition of an "internet troll"? To come and go from the group within 24 hrs makes me think you are a Toyota salesman tired of losing customers to Subaru. Care to compare the safety rating of Toyota to Subaru? If you're not a troll, please post a pix of your repair ticket from the authorized Subaru repair place. Thanks.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited by Moderator)
Pam, thanks so much for explaining internet trolling to me. I don't care if you believe me. Sorry, I just don't. I will get the repair receipt when I pick up the car in 7+ days. Attached is a photo of the key to the embarrassing loaner they gave me for the week. It smells like takeout and looks like a poor man's midlife crisis. When I drove BMWs they would give you a loaner that was nicer than your car. I guess that logic is wasted on Subaru owners.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,884 Posts
I told you that I like the 4Runner and I will reiterate that. Subarus ain't pretty and I like the looks of the SR5 and TRD 4Runner models, which have part-time 4WD and no climate control...and vinyl or cloth seats. The looks of the 4R Limited are ugly with a crapload of chrome and hokey luxury-looking wheels but that's what you have to buy if you want climate control, full time AWD, and leather.

Our 2017 Forester gets 32 mpg on the freeway and the 4Runner real world is gonna be a long shot to break 22 mpg. To compare the fuel economy of these 2 vehicles is nonsense. If you tow or bash rocks, the 4Runner is the correct vehicle. Full time AWD is what I love as a lifetime Michigander, where roads often go dry->wet->icy->snowy-> dry. Part-time 4WD is useful for trails, dirt roads, and 100% snow/ice/sand driving. You seem to be uninformed about the advantages of AWD for real drivers who drive on roads with varying conditions.

We are on our 2nd Forester but over many years I owned an FJ40 Land Cruiser, a couple 426 Hemi cars (and other muscle cars), a couple Corvettes, and a '91 BMW 318is that has been in my garage since 1994. And full-size pickups and vans for a 36-year stretch. I agree that the BMW dealer gave me some killer loaner cars when I was getting the bimmer serviced. You better believe I paid for them indirectly though :)

Troll on; I just saw my opthalmologist this week and I'm corrected to 20/20 in both eyes, admittedly with a cataract lens in the right eye.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,004 Posts
Oh so now the loaner is bad too? Like they have control over it? Methinks you doth protest too much.

And so you compare the loaner from a BMW dealer to a loaner from a Subaru dealer ... does the term apples and banana have any meaning to you? BMW cates to a completely different market than Subaru. And that BMW will NEVER be able to do what a Subaru can offroad or during inclement weather.

Go have fun in your Toyota. Or your overpriced German taxicab.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,004 Posts
As for AWD not being necessary unless you're a rally driver - you are very mistaken. If AWD was just for rally entries, do you think that Audi and BMW and Mercedes and Porsche and Lamborghini and so many other manufacturers would be offering it on so many of their models and products?

AWD can help in inclement weather (just as @YoGeorge mentions) but is also very handy in dry weather for cornering without whipping the back end around the front (unless you're a pro-drifter that wishes that to happen). Intelligent AWD allows the car to fluidly apply power to the wheels that can best use the power. Acura had a great system (called SH-AWD) that they offered but was dumbed down to a simpler system because the buyers of their MDX and RDX SUVs wanted more mall crawler ride without the fancy tech. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.