Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2020 Forester Premium
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to install my OEM Aero Crossbar kit and can't find any instructions on where they should be placed on 2020 Forester Premium rails. I've got the crossbar instructions, but there's no mention of placement. Any suggestions?

· Registered
2021 Forester Touring - silver
76 Posts
I'm getting ready to install my OEM Aero Crossbar kit and can't find any instructions on where they should be placed on 2020 Forester Premium rails. I've got the crossbar instructions, but there's no mention of placement. Any suggestions?
I placed mine (BougeRV, not oem) in the best spot to fit what they were going to carry. You can always move them.

· Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,986 Posts
The factory crossbars are "mostly" adjustable... there are 2 bolts on the bottom of one side allowing some width modification if needed.

On my 2014, the front is just at the trailing edge of the sunroof and the rear is about 10" in front of the antenna.

· Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
913 Posts
One of the Forester's more thoughtful features is that the sunroof is slide-only. You can put the bars wherever you need them.

My old Buick Rendezvous had the tilt and slide sunroof that GM used seemingly forever. The roof rails had pins in them to prevent the front crossbar from going too far forward. There was a special tool to remove the pins if you needed to spread the load out like a normal roof rack. You just had to remember not to open the roof!

· Registered
2,285 Posts
As @KYKernel mentioned, you place them to suit what it is you're going to carry on them. In my case, I adjusted the ones on my wife's 2020 to fit our extended Yakima roof basket from her old Forester.

· Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,516 Posts
There is no mention of placement because you can put them anywhere you like.
Where they end up is only "wrong" if what you want to carry doesn't work... Like a basket that won't sit on bars because they are too far apart.

· Registered
2020 Forester, 2021 Crosstrek
1,932 Posts
As stated, it depends on what you're carrying.

I just mounted my crossbars on my 2020 this weekend and found that the length adjustments will not allow them to be at what I would have assumed woudl be the forward and rearward limit. They are a bit inboard. I monted as far fore and aft as the adjustments would allow since I'm just strapping a ladder on top and want the most footprint I could get.

For my canoe, though, I have Yakima load stops that I place right next to the thwarts to help keep it from sliding fore or aft. In that case, I brought the rear cross bar inboard a bit both to brace a thwart and to center the load more so the canoe overhung the rear less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts