Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Limited 2020 Subaru Forester Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The car was finally ready to be picked up. It drove fine on the way home. The ECM and Battery were replaced. 16 days to do a 2 hour job is poor service.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring, 2016 Legacy 2.5L Limited, 2003 Forester Automatic
5 Posts
We have a 7 month old Subaru Forester with 5,000 miles sitting at Island Subaru for 13 days so far with computer problems the dealer cannot fix. On April 11th all kinds of warning lights went on and the car was not drivable. What are my rights? I contacted Subaru of America several times. I am disappointed with how Subaru has handled this.
There is a very serious chip shortage. Subaru, Ford F150 factories had to halt production because of it. Could it be your dealer doesn't know how to proceed because the part is backordered?
I work in the computer industry. We configure and install over 600 new computers a month. Two weeks ago we called for the delivery of our next allotment and were told we are getting 1/4 of our usual stock and not to expect any sizable deliveries until July.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Forester Touring CVT
22 Posts
The car was finally ready to be picked up. It drove fine on the way home. The ECM and Battery were replaced. 16 days to do a 2 hour job is poor service.
There is a very serious chip shortage. Subaru, Ford F150 factories had to halt production because of it. Could it be your dealer doesn't know how to proceed because the part is backordered?
I work in the computer industry. We configure and install over 600 new computers a month. Two weeks ago we called for the delivery of our next allotment and were told we are getting 1/4 of our usual stock and not to expect any sizable deliveries until July.
Good luck.
Beat me to it. In all likelihood the worldwide chip shortage is the reason it took 16 days.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,223 Posts
One additional point… Dealerships don’t have Carte Blanche decision making capability in warranty work. It often is guided and regulated by the manufacturer, depending on what the component(s) in question might be. Often, there are no simple clear-cut, obvious solutions to problems. One of the worst ways to resolve issues is to simply start wholesale “parts throwing” at a problem, not having a clear reason as to why parts are being replaced.

A great example is a CVT replacement. Dealerships can’t arbitrarily decide to just start wholesale swapping out components.

So, it’s possible the dealership had its hands tied until a manufacturer service tech was able to review the issue and the resulting actions were determined by the manufacturer‘s decision maker.

·
Registered
15 Toyota Avalon hybrid; 02 Honda Odyssey
48 Posts
And lemon laws generally don't care if it's bad product, faulty tech advice from manufacturer engineers, lazy/incompeent staff at dealership (Subaru's chosen agent to fulfill warranty responsibilities) or other excuses from the selling side. Thank God, because dealerships are masters of the runaround, lame excuses and finger pointing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, they gave us a loaner.
So, if you have a free loan of a comparable vehicle, the inconvenience to you is really...very little. SoA is eating the cost of their delay, and you are not without appropriate wheels. I think NY's lemon law can be invoked after 3 or 4 tries to repair the same problem (that interferes with usability) or a certain total number of days.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Limited 2020 Subaru Forester Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Beat me to it. In all likelihood the worldwide chip shortage is the reason it took 16 days.
that is not the reason. Island Subaru could not figure out what was wrong with the vehicle. It took Subaru’s field service engineer to come and tell them how to fix it. Very strange. This is our 5th Subaru we have owned or leased thru the years. we have always liked their products a lot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It took Subaru’s field service engineer to come and tell them how to fix it. Very strange.
I'm not looking to pick your words apart, but I'll wager that the FSE had to come out to figure out what was wrong because established diagnostic procedures did not lead to a conclusion/solution. They needed a "known good" expert to look at it. I'll wager any number of techs at Island know how to swap the ECU.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts