Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Limited 2020 Subaru Forester Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 7 month old Subaru Forester with 5,000 miles sitting at Island Subaru for 13 days so far with computer problems the dealer cannot fix. On April 11th all kinds of warning lights went on and the car was not drivable. What are my rights? I contacted Subaru of America several times. I am disappointed with how Subaru has handled this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Every state is slightly different but for the most part is similar to "within the first 12 month, if they attempt 4 repairs for the same problem or it is in the shop for 30 days" then you can do the lemon lar process. There should be a manual with instructions that came at delivery with the owners manual. Usually you just complete the form to begin the lemon law process and send a copy to Subaru and copy the dealer service manager. Subaru will then issue a complete refund, less an adjustment for miles driven OR, they will replace your vehicle with the exact same. The process is very simple. Sometimes they will negotiate "just one more repair attempt" but that is up to you. If you qualify according to your state regulations you can follow either path.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,502 Posts
... problems the dealer cannot fix.
I think more info is needed on this. What have they tried thus far? Have they actually told you that it's not fixable, or have they just not found the solution yet and are still working on it?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,741 Posts
You may want to complain to SOA Customer Support and maybe they'll lean on the dealer to get things moving. 800-782-2783.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,225 Posts
Just curious... is the dealer where the car currently is sitting also the selling dealership?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sneefy, post: 7699117, member: 296458"]
I think more info is needed on this. What have they tried thus far? Have they actually told you that it's not fixable, or have they just not found the solution yet and are still working on it?
The car has been sitting at the dealership for 2 weeks. The dealer said they are waiting from Subaru how to proceed to fix the issue. I called the Subaru customer service number a few times. They told me they will give an update April 28th. This is poor service. This is my family’s 5th Subaru product. It might end up being our last one.

The dealer does not know how to fix the issue. They are waiting for direction from Subaru on how to proceed. This is frustrating

Just curious... is the dealer where the car currently is sitting also the selling dealership?
No. We purchased the car in New Jersey. The car is sitting at Staten Island Subaru.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,289 Posts
You've been provided a free loaner that's an acceptable equivalent, right? One that will only cost you the price of gas?

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,502 Posts
The car has been sitting at the dealership for 2 weeks.
So, the real issue is it isn't being fixed according to your desired timeline?

Sounds like it's in progress, just not fast enough for you. That doesn't necessarily mean it's unfixable, just that the dealership needs direction from SOA. 2 weeks isn't that long. I suggest you be patient for now rather than leaping to 'what are my rights'.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@rollingstones62 I feel your pain. SOA's response to my 2019 lemon was incredibly poor and frustrating. My case dragged on for months, well after my state's lemon law kicked in. Hopefully your car gets fixed soon but if not, consider this: on the day your state's lemon law kicks in, contact SOA and give them 24 hours to tell you how they will remedy the situation. If you don't hear anything after 24 hours, file a complaint with your Attorney General.

Here’s links to my posts: https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/exchanging-a-new-problem-car-lemon-law-solved.789841/#post-7467985

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/all-dash-lights-on-and-the-shifter-stuck.790057/#post-7466667

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, the real issue is it isn't being fixed according to your desired timeline?

Sounds like it's in progress, just not fast enough for you. That doesn't necessarily mean it's unfixable, just that the dealership needs direction from SOA. 2 weeks isn't that long. I suggest you be patient for now rather than leaping to 'what are my rights'.
I have never heard of a computer issue on a new car taking over 2 weeks to fix. I will provide updates as I receive them. Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,502 Posts
@rollingstones62 What you have heard about is anecdotal, therefore largely irrelevant.

It could be that the issue is an expensive fix or the part is backordered, thus they wait on SOA. This is why I asked earlier for more info on what they have tried thus far so we can get some idea of what the issue actually is. Have they told you anything beyond a generic 'computer' issue? Because that's not exactly being transparent. Which component?

BTW, this is not your 2014, right? I suggest updating your profile. If this is 7 months old, I assume it's a late 2020 or early 2021 model year?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@sneefy The dealer has not provided specific details. In fact they only return my calls after I leave several messages. By the way we traded in the 2014 Forester for a 2020 limited which has been very good so far. The problem is our 2nd forester. It’s a 2020 Sport we only own for 7 months.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,502 Posts
Well, if it were me, I'd ask them for specifics. It's your car, you have a right to know. Again, 2 weeks isn't that long. Not that uncommon, nor is needing to wait on a manufacturer to approve a major repair. If it were an easy or cheap fix, and the parts were available, it'd probably be done by now. So maybe walk in and ask them what is going on and ask them to be detailed in their answer.

To me, it's not the time. It's the lack of information that would irk me. I'm happy to drive their loaner as long as I need, but I'd need to be kept in the loop.

If it does turn into a lemon law thing, for sure take advantage of that. Until then, just let them try and fix it.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,289 Posts
I enjoy driving loaners. My concern would focus on a permanent and effective fix of a problem I was confident was well-understood and thoroughly addressed. Secondarily, that my car was safely stored at the dealership and protected from casual damage and weather events like hail.

Granted all that, driving somebody else's new car while mine accumulates zero mileage i, to me, all bonus.

But I understand that someone else's concerns might be different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The dealer could not figure out what was wrong With the Forester. Subaru of America sent a field service engineer to Island Subaru today. They said the ECM had to be replaced. The dealer said the car will be repaired tomorrow. 17 days to figure out ECM had to be replaced. Mind boggling. Subaru also told me the battery had to be replaced. They told me there is a battery shortage. No dealers in Staten Island or Brooklyn had batteries. they had to get a battery from a Bronx dealer.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Fyi..... You may have missed it but @Kevin mentioned in your original thread to let the staff know if there was an update so they could reopen your discussion on this topic. It would probably be best considering all of the context to your problem is in there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts