Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I mistakenly bought some 31mm festoon LED's to replace the map lights in the front of the car, but it appears these are a light type that I have zero idea how to replace, nor do I know if I can even take it off without taking off the whole assembly.

(fortunately the dome light in the back uses 31mm festoons, so the ones I bought didn't get wasted. HOWEVER THEY ARE BBRRRIIIIIIIGGHTTT. I'll need to replace them since it is far too bright.

Looks like a little white circuit board with a single LED soldered into it.

For a bit of clarity, i absolutely hate cool white light, so I was wanting to replace them with something warmer.

·
Registered
2019 Forester 2.5i-S
43 Posts
I did exactly the same thing then discovered as you did, a foreign bulb unknown to me.

I doubt if there are any aftermarket replacements, I have not seen any on Aliexpress.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
43 Posts
You would need to removed the entire board and reflow a new emitter onto it. Difficult without the right tools for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
59 Posts
Well that sucks. Subaru is pretty much forcing you to purchase the entire circuit board from them when the LED light fails. Granted LED's last far longer that an incandescent lamp, but still, proprietary BS IMO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Eliminating the socket in favor of a board is becoming coming with 120 Volt AC lighting also. Many LED ceiling lights, task lights, and desk lamps are built that way also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well rats, that's a bit of a bummer. Thanks for all the responses! The cool white light bugs me, but luckily I don't have to drive the car often.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts