Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Forrester Touring with leather seats. I just wanted to give a heads up concerning the leather. I like cargo pants. Always have. Extra pockets and you can keep your wallet and cash in the side pockets. Because I didn't secure the snaps on my back pockets, I scratched my leather seat (pic). Of course, I'm angry at myself. I think I'll have to get cargo pants with velcro on them. Be warned that these seat can mar easily with any kind if hard substance you may have in your back pocket!
Brown Vehicle Comfort Car Automotive design

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I see that my thread has been moved to what the Moderators "DEEM" correct. Why? Yes, this is the interior, but it's also a warning to anyone with a Subaru leather interior, hence the reason for the General forum.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
649 Posts
This happened to me on my 2018 Outback. The pleather Subaru uses on those side bolsters is very thin. Probably have to see a upholstery shop.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,004 Posts
I love the smell of leather in our cars BUT I always put a terrycloth cover on the seats, as made by my wife. She made them for me when I had my 2015 Outback Ltd........it sucks to have to do this BUT I don't want to watch my seats get worn prematurely.......Subaru leather is notoriously thin and weak. The pleather on the bolsters is even more fragile.

Worse yet are the other fabric options that look good for a while but inevitably start the fray where the driver gets in...it's too bad that we have to modify the way we get into our cars so as to be even more "gentle" to the material.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,384 Posts
It's less a fault of the leather seat covers and - as you mention - more due to your current apparel choices and not securing the closures. Leather can be a very durable (or fragile) surface for seating (and more!) based upon the quality of the original hides and how they were prepared (dyed, dried, tanned, finished); some are tanned for a softer feel (which can lead to more surface damage) and some are tanned for a more durable surface (for better/longer wear protection).

And the seats have always been a blend of leather panels and vinyl panels. The general rule of thumb is that if it is a seat panel that would/could touch skin, it's leather, if it is a panel that doesn't touch skin (in regular use) is vinyl. I used to work for a leather interior company (and, ironically, they were the supplier of ALL leather interiors for ALL North American Subaru models back in the 90s and early 2Ks) and know a bit about leather quality and processes and sewing.

PS - I wear anything from shorts to sweats to cargos to Levi's to __ and haven't had any issues with my leather interior. The only issue I've had is the vinyl panel on the outside of the driver's front seat cracking and showing the cloth backing to the vinyl material where the seat regularly flexes as I get in or out of the car.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited
19 Posts
That stinks. Thanks for the heads up. Have you tried a leather conditioner etc to minimize the visual?

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 CVT base model
391 Posts
I have shorts and boardshorts with velcro and the nylon hook portion has fuzzed up the side bolster where I slide in and out. (Fabric seats). Neoprene seat covers now protect the seat but those are now fuzzed up as well.
Your leather sounds as if it is not as durable as it could be? Nice to look at and a shame to cover it for preservation.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
174 Posts
Have you though about trying a re-dye kit? Black is one of the easier colors to match, here’s a link to my first attempt, still looks great today as it did the first day I repaired it, was under $40 for all the supplies as well. Worked on the vinyl sides of the seat and the leather portions equally well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts