Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone have the measurement from the top of the rear seat (not reclined) to the closed rear gate?

My new Forester will be here on the 25th and I'm trying to buy a couple new kennels for the back.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,912 Posts
Get a brochure for your car and it has exact measurements there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a brochure for your car and it has exact measurements there.
Thanks for the reply!

I've looked at the brochure backwards and forwards...I can't find it there. The only place that's been close is Cars101.com but they only have Foresters up to '18 cataloged.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,912 Posts
Really? The back of the brochure usually has the vehicle specs and those have cargo area specs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? The back of the brochure usually has the vehicle specs and those have cargo area specs.
Ya they're all about listing the volume of the space rather than actual measurements. If you look at other resources you'll find from rear gate to the rear seat along the floor, but not gate to top of rear seat.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,912 Posts
Oh, I see. Well, I have the previous model and from I can tell, they are all but identical. If you want, I can measure mine out and share it with you.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
728 Posts
Does anyone have the measurement from the top of the rear seat (not reclined) to the closed rear gate?
As you said, the dimension you need isn't documented. Suggest you obtain candidate kennel dimensions and go to the dealer with tape measure in hand. Below are rough dimensions from my 2019 (same dimensions as 2020) to get you in the ballpark.

For a 2019 Limited, where the rear seats do not recline.
  • 30" - Horizontal distance from top of rear seat back to the protruding plastic below the rear window. Maybe 31" if you really squeeze things and don't have the rear seat back protectors.
  • The window slopes inward, so your allowable kennel length will be less than 30" if your kennel is taller than 27" or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As you said, the dimension you need isn't documented. Suggest you obtain candidate kennel dimensions and go to the dealer with tape measure in hand. Below are rough dimensions from my 2019 (same dimensions as 2020) to get you in the ballpark.

For a 2019 Limited, where the rear seats do not recline.
  • 30" - Horizontal distance from top of rear seat back to the protruding plastic below the rear window. Maybe 31" if you really squeeze things and don't have the rear seat back protectors.
  • The window slopes inward, so your allowable kennel length will be less than 30" if your kennel is taller than 27" or so.
You guys are awesome; I like this community!

You're right Boureesub, I measured it and got 31" at the very most and a bit less when you get to the sides because of the shape of the gate.

I wasn't sure when I could get down to the dealership but it worked out for me today.

Thanks again everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts