Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2019 White Forester, Replaced a 2009 Forester
17 Posts
Hi, I am currently running 2010 Forester but plan to upgrade to 2020 sport or premium. On this one I always run all seasons. But I wonder if I can run all terains winter rated all the time?
My issue is that I do not go off road. My driving is city and highway. Can AT wear well in this useage?
So, why not buy something that is almost A/Ts but are actually M&S. Michelin Cross Climate+ just recently came to the US in sizes to fit Subs. Check out the chemistry, the compound will still be flexible in cold weather. And they look good, to me. Consumer Reports and TireRack customers like them and so do I. My 2019 Premium came with Bridegestone OEMs. Man, those Bridgestones are good only on dry pavement and no where else. Since I live at 4000 ft in the Sierra Nevada's I wanted something that would run well on dry pavement, wet, snow and some ice. That the Cross Climates do. This is one of the tires you get on a rental in Germany when you specify winter tires. I put exactly 83 miles on the Bridgestones; the distance from the Subaru agency and my tire store. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
164 Posts
You obviously have your heart set on some AT-type tires ...and you don't have to justify your reasons to anyone for your choice.

Just realize for most of the year you are going to be running on the pavement ...and AT-style tires are a compromise ...not so good in the dirt and not the best ticket for pure street running. With respect to driving in the rain? Street tires are going to be better by far than AT's. And how much snow do you really get up there in Jersey?

I replaced the original Yokohama Geolanders on my '11 with a new set ...never saw any issues with the stock tires ...I like Yokohama tires ...and I like how the Geolanders ride and handle ...which for me is on the pavement. I grew up in the Northeast driving a rear wheel drive '71 Dodge Demon ...no, not the 340 Demon ...the very pedestrian 225 six ...I did just fine on snow because I knew how to drive in it ...so I suspect I'd have no worries running the Geolanders with an AWD vehicle in the snows of my homeland.

But in the end, it's your choice ...go for the AT's ...you know you want them.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
410 Posts
Hi, I am currently running 2010 Forester but plan to upgrade to 2020 sport or premium. On this one I always run all seasons. But I wonder if I can run all terains winter rated all the time?
My issue is that I do not go off road. My driving is city and highway. Can AT wear well in this useage?
Sure you can and sure they can. You may notice some changes - either more noise less MPGs, etc., etc. - but it's all your choice.

To keep extra wear to a minimum on the vehicle - stay as close to stock size as possible. I'm on the Continental Terrain-Contact AT... I do 80% on-road, 20% on ... well, not always off-road (rock crawling or whatever) but live in the deserts of So Cal so there are a lot of places to get a bit off-road... sometimes a road will just stop being a road and becomes a dirt path.

But again - keep as close to stock size as able. This may cost a bit more as our stock tires are not readily available in AT sizes.

·
Registered
2017 FXT CVT
45 Posts
I've posted this before but I'm very happy with my Nokian Rotiiva AT's. They are an AT with MS rating. I ran them all summer with extended trips to the desert. Sizes are a bit tight for pre-2019 models (I've made them work without any issues). They might be an easier fit for a 2019-2020. Quiet, good mileage, stable at all speeds, seem to be wearing well. We have a history with Nokian snow tires (Hakkapeliita R2's) and have been very pleased. The Rotiiva's are the first Nokian tires we've run year round. So far, so great.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
27 Posts
All the light AT tyre brands do the job. Best go with 225/65r17 as you get a a higher tyre wall which fills the wheel well and improves the look of the car. They are all an improvement on original rubbish that Subaru insist on fitting as OEM.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
27 Posts
Ok let me redeam myself , 🙃, maybe.
My plan is the same as it been with my current drive. I ride the stocks untill they are done, but then I need the new, I wonder if I can go with ATs.
My logic is that they are better in snow and rain. I am in NJ so rain and snow is always a possibility. I do not plan to get bigger tires , as close to stock size as can get. Don't know the size yet as my plan to buy new car around November. So what side tires will depend on what I will end up getting.
Don't really care about the looks, even though a nicer look could not hurt.
I had the dealer swop the OEM 18 inch on the tourer for 17 inch wheels and after 10000km swopped the crap 225/60r17 Duellers for 22/65r17 Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus.. I was looking at replacing the stock. 7x 17 48 wheels with 8x17 x40 Black Rhino Boxers. The only problem with that being 8 inch is Max width for the Pirelli which means a lower wall height which in turn means a harsher ride. Optimum wheel width for a tyre designed for 6 inch to 8 inch rim width is 7 inches. Looks or performance? Forme performance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, I do. I live in the Southern California mountains and we get lots of snow and ice in the winter. I also use them for some off-roading in Hesperia. They might wear down a little faster than normal but I hate all season tires. BTW, these tires are pretty cheap and they work awesome. No use paying for Bridge Blizzaks which are about 50% more.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
674 Posts
Yokohama Geolander G015 At's are really smooth riding and do very well in snow, running them year round on mine.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
106 Posts
Yeah, Subaru is really good at choosing bad OEM tires. Sometimes I wonder just how cheap they buy them to justify using such lousy tires.
I have no complaints with the stock Falkens. Sure they're not the best of tires, but they're nowhere near as bad as the BS RE92 that were stock on many Subies years ago. Or the GY RSA I had on my old 2000 Grand Am GT.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5XT Auto
42 Posts
I'm also looking for a set of AT's year round on my '13 FXT and wondered about the city/highway mileage. My needs differ a little bit from what you described as I do get up into the snow almost every weekend in the winter and occasionally get offroad the rest of the year.

Did a bunch of research and spoke with my local tire shop that I've been going to for nearly a decade. I've decided on the Falken Wildpeak AT Trail. It's not the most intense AT tire, which would tax the gas mileage too much for me but from what I've heard and researched it sounds like a solid tire for my needs. Just waiting on my current ones to wear down to put on the Falkens.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
7 Posts
You can run them anytime, but remember snow and AT tires are a softer compound and wear quicker than regular all seasons. If you are ok with buying a full set of tires a little more often then normal, then yes. If money is no issue you can run them.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
28 Posts
Thought I'd add my two cents in on this. I run General Grabber AT2 on my 05 X. Sure, they might not be the meatiest, thickest sidewall all terrain you can buy, but by the sounds of your case, that won't matter anyway. They are fairly cheap, and look just about as aggressive as BFG KO2 all terrains. I've been running on my set year round, for almost two years, and about 50 000kms, and wow am I impressed with the treadwear. I'm sure they still have over half of their tread left. I do rotate them every second oil change to keep the tread wear equal. Most of my driving is a 60km commute almost everyday on the highway, with about 10 km of gravel driving on top of that. So, I am usually driving on blacktop. I do take it on some trails to get to mountain biking and fishing spots, and have taken it through some decent mudholes, and have no complaints about the off-road performance. I suppose I don't really have anything to compare to as this has been my first vehicle that wasn't FWD and stupid low, so I have no off-road experience in the past whatsoever. When it comes to winter driving, I always air mine down significantly (usually about 25psi). I would say they don't have near the grip of a winter tire, but they do the job well as long as you are driving according to conditions, which you should always be doing in winter driving anyway. They have never put me in a dangerous or uncomfortable situation, and I live is a snowy part of Canada. As per fuel economy, I think that I probably have to gas up a little more frequently, but it's nothing horrific that would make Greta Thunberg throw rocks at you. Road noise is also something that I did notice slightly. If you can get over a little hum from your tires, or turn up your stereo another couple notches, you'll be just fine. Hope this maybe helps! Good luck!

·
Administrator
13,886 Posts
My son runs General Grabbers on their 2012 S and are happy with them. They live in a rural area with dirt roads and risk of snow & ice. They (usually) commute daily for about 70-75 mins each way.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Automatic 4sp
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks guys for all your contributions.
I think I got the idea on what to do.

Just to reiterate, my drive is 99% pavement, even more , highway commute.
I drive about 88 miles per day just to and from work, 2 highways.
In 10 years, I never found a descen
All seasons that do good in snow as well as dry condition.
Most do ok, but not to my liking.

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,652 Posts
So, why not buy something that is almost A/Ts but are actually M&S. Michelin Cross Climate+ just recently came to the US in sizes to fit Subs. Check out the chemistry, the compound will still be flexible in cold weather. And they look good, to me. Consumer Reports and TireRack customers like them and so do I. My 2019 Premium came with Bridegestone OEMs. Man, those Bridgestones are good only on dry pavement and no where else. Since I live at 4000 ft in the Sierra Nevada's I wanted something that would run well on dry pavement, wet, snow and some ice. That the Cross Climates do. This is one of the tires you get on a rental in Germany when you specify winter tires. I put exactly 83 miles on the Bridgestones; the distance from the Subaru agency and my tire store. Good luck on your decision.
Thanks guys for all your contributions.
I think I got the idea on what to do.

Just to reiterate, my drive is 99% pavement, even more , highway commute.
I drive about 88 miles per day just to and from work, 2 highways.
In 10 years, I never found a descen
All seasons that do good in snow as well as dry condition.
Most do ok, but not to my liking.
Look into the CrossClimate+ that @MGaissert mentioned. It's an all weather tire with the 3PMSF symbol. Tire Rack consumer snow reviews are:

• 9.4 Light Snow Traction
  • 8.9 Deep Snow Traction
  • 8.7 Ice Traction

21 - 35 of 35 Posts