Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic 4sp
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am currently running 2010 Forester but plan to upgrade to 2020 sport or premium. On this one I always run all seasons. But I wonder if I can run all terains winter rated all the time?
My issue is that I do not go off road. My driving is city and highway. Can AT wear well in this useage?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,213 Posts
Short answer is yes. With respect to wear, depends on the tire.

I love copper at3. They are quiet, wear well and look great.

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
915 Posts
I get where you are coming from, but Come on don’t face palm. Be nice haha.
Lol. Do manufacturers make a tire for posers? One that looks like a gnarly off-road tire but is really engineered for gas mileage?

Hey, to each their own. People seem to love 'bull bars' and roof baskets with a spare wheel in them even though the vehicle is only used for commuting. Others slap canards and silly wings on their pizza delivery vehicle. No big deal. Variety is the spice, after all.

To actually answer the OP, yes you can run what you want. Tires that are a lot bigger than stock do stress the drivetrain more, but as long as you stay at a reasonable size and you're not driving like a tool, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,213 Posts
Like I said I get where you’re coming from. Others just aren’t educated.

I run at3 on mine even though I’m not off road often. But they look way better and get me just as good mileage as stock...plus they are quiet at speed

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
915 Posts
Differences of opinion are absolutely fine. I may think it silly, but if it works for you, rock on.

I wish my snow tires were quieter. Some AT tires are ridiculously loud and give awful mileage. Glad the Coopers are a good balance.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,213 Posts
Ya I swear by the coopers. Great tire. You have to upgrade as the duellers are trash.

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
915 Posts
Yeah, Subaru is really good at choosing bad OEM tires. Sometimes I wonder just how cheap they buy them to justify using such lousy tires.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok let me redeam myself , 🙃, maybe.
My plan is the same as it been with my current drive. I ride the stocks untill they are done, but then I need the new, I wonder if I can go with ATs.
My logic is that they are better in snow and rain. I am in NJ so rain and snow is always a possibility. I do not plan to get bigger tires , as close to stock size as can get. Don't know the size yet as my plan to buy new car around November. So what side tires will depend on what I will end up getting.
Don't really care about the looks, even though a nicer look could not hurt.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,213 Posts
For what you are saying...the Cooper at3 sound good.

Many others will be overkill loud and bad mileage

·
Registered
2016 Foz CVT
915 Posts
If the goals are better than stock in snow and rain, almost any tire would be an improvement, lol.

Dedicated winter tires are always better, but if you want one set year-round, a good all-season would serve you well. Though, Hoshie is strongly endorsing the AT3! And his location is in Canada, so he must know how they perform in snow.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
52 Posts
Frequent tire rotations can be your friend. On my old Toyota 4x4’s and GMC Z71, I was usually able to get 40k miles out of AT’s easily. Usually rotating ever 3k to 5k miles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for all of this useful information.
I still have quet some time till I can use any of it , before me , but it always good to have information at hand when you finally need it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I am currently running 2010 Forester but plan to upgrade to 2020 sport or premium. On this one I always run all seasons. But I wonder if I can run all terains winter rated all the time?
My issue is that I do not go off road. My driving is city and highway. Can AT wear well in this useage?
I would keep your 2010 and NOT opt for the newest garbage out there. My disappointment with Subaru began with 2019 models.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would keep your 2010 and NOT opt for the newest garbage out there. My disappointment with Subaru began with 2019 models. ATs will wear more and decrease your fuel mileage, and you’ll notice a little less acceleration, braking, and handling around corners. I ran three different sets of ATs on mine. Two different Yokohama’s (Geolandar ATs) and my favorite were Continental terraincontact-absolute best.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I don't think it is a viable option for me.
I put on 500 miles a day. I am currently getting to 160k. And start showing its age. My repairs are getting more often and expansive.
I am not DYI kind, and have no reputable mechanic nearby. I go to my dealer, which I do trust but it still expensive.
With my driving I need a reliable car.
I don't know what your beef is, but I have shop around and so far Subaru comes up on top above all others.
I will take a test drive when the time comes, but I drive the 2019 model earlier this year and like it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts