Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped the glovebox for the first time on my 20' to replace the cabin filter. The part (duct?) with the green border surrounding that channels the air towards the filter wasn't and doesn't go all the way down. That doesn't look at all like what I've seen in videos of people replacing their cabin filters. What am I missing?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
32 Posts
I have to agree with you. I just looked at my 2019 and the green rubber is all the way down. And I can't push it up to where yours is. I'd pull the glovebox and show it to the service manager.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,063 Posts
@WackyDriver, what you're seeing is the inside/outside air diverter in a half open position.

If you start your car, turn the temperature to high, and press the MaxAC button, you can watch the diverter cycle up and down. In the down position, the green seal shown in your picture will drop further down to form a seal.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
32 Posts
@WackyDriver, what you're seeing is the inside/outside air diverter in a half open position.

If you start your car, turn the temperature to high, and press the MaxAC button, you can watch the diverter cycle up and down. In the down position, the green seal shown in your picture will drop further down to form a seal.
Thanks. I just learnt something new.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
30 Posts
@IceSilverXT i just went through all of this as well. That part only attaches at one point, not both. Not sure why there are two holes when only one is used. I spent way too much time looking for a second attachment point and then had a friend with an SJ forester check his. Just one attachment point.
I also made the mistake of disengaging the flap to close it all the way (wrong) and then it was a pain to get the flap back in the right position. I’m still not sure it’s right but things work well. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@IceSilverXT i just went through all of this as well. That part only attaches at one point, not both. Not sure why there are two holes when only one is used. I spent way too much time looking for a second attachment point and then had a friend with an SJ forester check his. Just one attachment point.
I also made the mistake of disengaging the flap to close it all the way (wrong) and then it was a pain to get the flap back in the right position. I’m still not sure it’s right but things work well. Lesson learned.
THANK YOU ! Do you think mine is loose from being removed too many times ? Meaning the hole in the piston that snaps into the clips is wallowed out ?
Thanks again for the response .

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
30 Posts
@IceSilverXT Mine was also a bit loose so I took a flathead screwdriver and put it in the “slot” of the first photo you posted and turned it to make the gap wider so that it doesn’t easily pop out. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2005 Forester EJ251, 2011 Forester FB25
157 Posts
I just purchased a 2011 SH Forester and will replace the glovebox lid as it is very scratched. However, had the same thoughts as you about the piston device. On looking closer someone has broken the slotted mounting stub that is part of moulded plastic facia panel. Does anyone have any thoughts about how to fix it/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts