Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester alloy/pkg Ice Silver
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, new member here. I wanted a protective side molding for my new '20 that was functional and rugged (and black, like everything else). Having done a few over the years, I knew my best bet was universal/aftermarket. These were just over $60 delivered, and came as two seven foot pieces with finished ends (cut the waste from the middle). The size is 1-7/8" wide and 1/4" thick rubber. (The layout process with the 2" Easy Mask tape is the most critical step. The tape's easy to adjust and re-stick to your liking). Cabe
DSCF0122.JPG DSCF0123.JPG DSCF0125.JPG DSCF0126.JPG DSCF0127.JPG DSCF0130.JPG DSCF0132.JPG

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
192 Posts
Did your car come with no tint at all? I thought they come tinted at the factory.

@jkeener71 isn't this something you wanted to do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tinted all around, but no privacy tinting.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
214 Posts
That looks very nice!! Well done - straight. I like the color scheme, matching the moldings with the black trim around the wheel arches and rocker panels. They also look a little thicker and more capable of absorbing the shock of a swinging door than the thinner Subaru ones.

@saturn706 The base models (at least in 2019 like ours) do not have the rear privacy glass, just lightly tinted glass all around. I spent out $160 for good quality ceramic tinting at a local shop (rear passenger doors and all back windows around the cargo area) , but it was worth it. The car is parked outside in our driveway, so that keeps honest people honest.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Base - Magnetite Gray Metallic
174 Posts
@jkeener71 isn't this something you wanted to do?
Well, I might, but remember I have Magnetite Gray Metallic, I am still kicking around what color to do and if I even do it. Thanks for pointing out this one tho for refernece. Those OEM side body moldings aren't cheap either lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I might, but remember I have Magnetite Gray Metallic, I am still kicking around what color to do and if I even do it. Thanks for pointing out this one tho for refernece. Those OEM side body moldings aren't cheap either lol.
I saw some pics of your color options. My problem with the factory moldings is their shape. There are enough curvy body lines already, and to try to fit a spear-shaped molding into the mix leaves much room for error. They also seem too short to provide adequate protection.
Another option is to order painted moldings on eBay, which are usually straight top and bottom with finished ends. Your body color or satin black would look good. C

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Base - Magnetite Gray Metallic
174 Posts
I saw some pics of your color options. My problem with the factory moldings is their shape. There are enough curvy body lines already, and to try to fit a spear-shaped molding into the mix leaves much room for error. They also seem too short to provide adequate protection.
Another option is to order painted moldings on eBay, which are usually straight top and bottom with finished ends. Your body color or satin black would look good. C
Well it is good to have options, that is just the thing for me, I always try to be frugal (smart shopper) when I buy stuff, and some of that OEM stuff don't come cheap. I am still not sure if I end up with side body moldings or not, but I do have a few frugal additions coming. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts