Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
2020 Fozzie Sport
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just hit 1 year of ownership of our 2020 Forester Sport this past August.
BEST MOD I've installed to date!
Bonnet Struts I installed over this past weekend are a close second, thanks China! 馃槀
Came with 2 free reflective 6 star logos I will install on our roof rack sometime later. View attachment 558058
Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle Car Tire

Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic庐 CVT
See here.

Registered
@tredsdert -- may I suggest a question mark after this thread's title, for less confusion?
ATF cooler is my best mod to-date. I live in the Chihuahuan Desert.

Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
I believe the best mod so far is his installation of struts to support the hood or bonnet when it is open.

Administrator
^ correct - Apologies for the confusion as I didn't realize the pic was not displaying in full size when I split the post from another thread. Pic fixed and title updated

Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic庐 CVT
Hood struts are nice, did a set on our Mustang ... but it's gonna be a tough haul for it being better than the "AutoStart/StopEliminator" that I installed.

Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
My "ancient" MY12 had them as standard..
I wonder.. was the delete on later models a cost saver?

Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
SJ had them standard as well. The prop on the SK actually has a benefit over the gas struts in that there is a second position that keeps the hood wide open, pretty much vertical.

Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
you can move the prop location on the SJs to a different spot to open the hood wider too. its a suabru feature on all their cars due to all the engine out work that needs to be done.

Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
@numskull50

How do you do that on the SJ since it came with gas struts from the factory? Do they quick release or something?

Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
look at where the hood connects to the struts. then look on the bottom on the hood there is another set of holes you can connect the struts too that will open the hood more for service. note you cant close the hood when the struts are in "service mode".

Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
look at where the hood connects to the struts. then look on the bottom on the hood there is another set of holes you can connect the struts too that will open the hood more for service. note you cant close the hood when the struts are in "service mode".
I'll have a look. Do you have to unbolt them to put them in that mode?

Registered
2021 Subaru Forester
&CrystalPistol, "AutoStart/StopEliminator" ? Prev. gen Foresters don't have a button for this?

I do miss the struts from my 2009

Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic庐 CVT
I wonder.. was the delete on later models a cost saver?
Our '03 used a prop rod.
&CrystalPistol, "AutoStart/StopEliminator" ? Prev. gen Foresters don't have a button for this?
Our '19 does, but it must be reset every time car is started. "AS/S" does it for me, until / if I change it.

Registered
2020 Forester
SJ had them standard as well. The prop on the SK actually has a benefit over the gas struts in that there is a second position that keeps the hood wide open, pretty much vertical.
No one told me about this position. Please provide a picture.

Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
No one told me about this position. Please provide a picture.
Link below. Or, you know, you could actually do a search for yourself. Just sayin.
Is it safe?
I doubt Subaru would have put it there if it were unsafe.
I wish I'd known about this sooner; I already painted an arrow where the hood prop goes!
Now you can paint another arrow.

(33) ('19+) - 2019 - Hood prop hole for big opening! | Subaru Forester Owners Forum

1 - 20 of 24 Posts