Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport 'Skar'
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Fine New Guy here; been a member forever, never posted. Picked up a 2020 Forester Sport yesterday.

Just was out checking what I need to do to run wiring for a HAM radio (15 amp draw max, not doing that off the acc'y port. I noticed the terminals have what looks like hot glue over all the studs, bolts, threads, etc.

Is this just an anti-corrrosion coverage, or is this an anti-tamper marking? I have the vehicle leased, and every warranty they could sell me (I like my dealer, I had the money, so fsck it - let them knock me in the ditch. Less to worry about).

If I crack open a bolt, it's going to knock off the glue / sealant. Before I hose up a warranty or bring up lease-end problems, can y'all tell me the purpose of the hot glue / sealant on the terminals and bolts?

(Ideally I'd like to remove the terminals and put big audio terminals on there to run 8-gauge wire to the back for a powered, removable sub, but that's next year. )

Thanks,
Will England

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Do you have a picture?

There are a variety of products out there manufacturers, mechanics and DIYers use to protect terminals from corrosion. ......greases, sprays, coatings, etc. Some can form more of a shell on those surfaces rather than a greasy-like barrier.

On my wife's 2020 Forester, they used a thin layer of what looks like a translucent grease similar to Vaseline on the terminals and connectors but I'd imagine it may not necessarily be the same for all cars in all regions, etc. That could be especially true iff this is one of those items on the dealers pre-delivery checklist as the products they use could vary.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport 'Skar'
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll get a photo in the daylight tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts