Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring (Blue EXT/ Black INT)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This is a pro-active request, and if this has been covered elsewhere, please provide the link to me.

With the many Forester battery issues, I'm thinking of installing a higher capacity battery in my 2020 Forester Touring, and would like to get some recommendations on the same. And did you get the battery installed by a local mechanic, or at your dealership? Just curious as to how this works.

My current/other car, is also a (less than 4 years) recent fully loaded higher model on a competitor and I replaced the battery at the dealership after ~3.5 years. The question being, if we install a non-OEM battery for a new vehicle from (say) AutoZone or a local mechanic shop, would this in any way void any warranty, and (if applicable) any extended maintenance warranty?

Thanks all!

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Specs should be on your battery.
Installing another battery isn not going to void anything.

Get a battery with the same post configuration and that will still fit the tray and underneathe the holddown.

More CCA and higher AH rating(y)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Specs should be on your battery.
Installing another battery isn not going to void anything.

Get a battery with the same post configuration and that will still fit the tray and underneathe the holddown.

More CCA and higher AH rating(y)
Thank you. Odyssey batteries seem to be good, but i can't find any ones that fit the 2020 models yet.

I will be getting my Forester next month, which is why I mentioned this as being pro-active :)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
730 Posts
@akc5247 , I think you are very much jumping the gun. A tiny minority of people have drained their battery, including me. I left my hatch open for over 12 hours and others have done similar things to deplete their batteries. Since then I've closely monitored both battery and charging system behavior in a variety of driving conditions and have found zero reason to replace a perfectly good battery that continues to do its job reliably. When the time comes, a few years down the road, I'll replace it with something a tiny bit larger because the extra cost at that point is negligible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@akc5247 , I think you are very much jumping the gun. A tiny minority of people have drained their battery, including me. I left my hatch open for over 12 hours and others have done similar things to deplete their batteries. Since then I've closely monitored both battery and charging system behavior in a variety of driving conditions and have found zero reason to replace a perfectly good battery that continues to do its job reliably. When the time comes, a few years down the road, I'll replace it with something a tiny bit larger because the extra cost at that point is negligible.
Appreciate the quick response. thank you @boureesub

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,281 Posts
Three ways you can reduce the drain on a car battery:

1. Replace all interior courtesy lights with LED bulbs. That way if you accidentally leave the tailgate ajar the drain on your battery will be less than with incandescent bulbs.
2. Don't use the "Automatic" headlight function which activates the "Welcome Lighting" feature that turns on low beam headlights before/after you enter/exit the car.
3. Adjust the length of time that interior lights (map, dome, cargo) remain on after closing the door to the shortest time interval option. This can done via the Multi-Function display.

Also, when replacing a battery just don't shop by Cold Cranking Amps (CCAs). Also consider Reserve Capacity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Three ways you can reduce the drain on a car battery:

1. Replace all interior courtesy lights with LED bulbs. That way if you accidentally leave the tailgate ajar the drain on your battery will be less than with incandescent bulbs.
2. Don't use the "Automatic" headlight function which activates the "Welcome Lighting" feature that turns on low beam headlights before/after you enter/exit the car.
3. Adjust the length of time that interior lights (map, dome, cargo) remain on after closing the door to the shortest time interval option. This can done via the Multi-Function display.

Also, when replacing a battery just don't shop by Cold Cranking Amps (CCAs). Also consider Reserve Capacity.
Thank you. I'll definitely remember to look up #2 and #3.

As for #1, Mine is the Touring, so LEDs are standard I believe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to clarify, this thread was not created as I am skeptical about the OEM battery (I am a little bit, tbh), but rather to have good information in hand (like above), to make an informed decision when the time comes.

Please keep posting any additional recommendations that would help new owners of the vehicle like myself.

I appreciate all the responses so far.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
447 Posts
For what it's worth ... I have a 2014 Forester and a 2019. The 2014 factory battery was a joke. It didn't last but about 2 years. I replaced with one that had a significantly better CCA rating and it has already outlived the factory battery. Sorry that I can't remember the "before" and "after" CCA ratings. But I will say, the 2019 factory battery has a higher CCA rating than the 2014. Is it enough bigger? Time will tell, but it certainly is a better spec'd battery than Subaru used to put in Foresters.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,281 Posts
The OEM battery in the 2014-2018 generation Foresters went from 390cca to 470cca in later years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts