Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving in our ‘20 Forester Touring, we were wondering if auto braking would work IF…. let’s say you were already braking, but not enough to avoid a collision… would Eyesight take over?
just wondering.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
22 Posts
Yes....Have had situation where the vehicle thinks you are not braking sufficiently and will activate. Will also do it in heavy traffic and a car cuts you off. Really takes some getting used to but suppose the extra protection is worth it but occasionally annoying. Guess how I know this-LOL. Would have to look it up unless someone can chime in at which speed it is not active.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
305 Posts
Automatic braking works at all speeds. On several occasions when pulling into a parking spot with a hedge in front of me doing maybe 2 mph—wham hard braking. It works.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,219 Posts
Yes, by disabling Eyesight. Instructions and details are in the owners manual for your vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
642 Posts
Yes, by disabling Eyesight. Instructions and details are in the owners manual for your vehicle.
but separate from EyeSight, I suspect Subarus (and lots of other cars) have automatic panic braking, which has nothing to do with sensing obstructions ahead, but just applies maximum braking force when it detects that you have applied the brakes very suddenly. The idea for this comes from experiments showing that a certain percentage of the smallest weakest drivers are not physically able to apply maximum deceleration force to the brake pedal, so the car does it for you. My 2006 and 2010 Mazdas definitely did this - without any "automatic emergency braking" systems being present. Such systems stop applying that extra force the instant you let up on the brake pedal. I invoked it, without needing or wanting it, maybe once or twice in my 200,000 miles of Mazda ownership. That's too much detail possibly -- my point is, this separate kind of brake interaction system cannot be turned off whether EyeSight is on or off, I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,219 Posts
That’s very different than automatic braking… ie, the vehicle applying brakes with NO input from or involvement of the driver.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,219 Posts
Seeing as it appears the vast majority of new car owners never bother to even crack open, much less read the documentation that comes with their new vehicle, I’m in total agreement with you.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
902 Posts
The idea for this comes from experiments showing that a certain percentage of the smallest weakest drivers are not physically able to apply maximum deceleration force to the brake pedal,
I don't think it's about being 'small/weak' but because many won't even attempt to apply enough brake force to trigger ABS in the direst of circumstances, or ease off braking in reaction to the noise and vibration of ABS. It's more about psychology than physical strength.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,219 Posts
At the SC BMW Performance Center, anyone picking their new vehicle up gets a day on the course (I’ve done it multiple times, and the track is loads of fun). And, the best part is you get to drive a track vehicle similar to your own, and not worry about any damage done by rawhiding it.

The instructors specifically train every driver on the correct way to use ABS brakes. IMO, that technique should be mandatory for everyone taking delivery of a new vehicle, at every dealership.

Any safety feature is worthless if the operator either isn’t aware of it, or doesn’t understand how to employ it correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts