Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5i-S (Touring)
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a post about these Tesla type head-units fitted to a Forester on Facebook.

I am not convinced that they would be Plug n Play on a 2019 2020 Touring model.

Has anyone installed one?

If so, do all the inbuilt OEM feature's still work?

Interested to know your thoughts on these.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
77 Posts
The answer to your question is yes and no. You can probably plug this in and it'll work. But it may take some effort to get your steering wheel keys or radio to work and other auxiliaries. And remember anything built into the Subaru Stock head unit is gone. So you're running everything off the android head unit and android apps. I have a Seicane android head unit in my 2011. For me it was an upgrade from an analog radio. I use it primarily with android auto or carplay and even then all I do is use Google Maps and Spotify so I never really push the HU much as my phone is doing most of the heavy lifting processing wise. I don't use the built in Nav and GPS its garbage.
I spent A LOT of time reading wiring diagrams and cruising forums to get my steering wheel keys, back up camera, and radio amplifier all wired correctly and working. So get ready for that journey if you wanna try this.

Here is Seicane's "Tesla" headunit for the Outback. Aftermarket 9.7 inch Android 9.1 Radio for 2010-2014 Subaru Outback GPS Navigation HD Touchscreen Stereo Bluetooth USB MP4 music Mirror Link SWC 4G WIFI

Cheaper and at least they give you some more detailed specs on what kind of machine it is. I don't trust Aliexpress. I wonder if you just removed the facia if the mounting holes on the head unit would line up for the Forester.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
833 Posts
Well, there are a number of sellers on Aliexpress selling Seicane units, and a number selling older units from previous years for dirt cheap. I too installed one in my 2011. I have not done the wiring change necessary to get my steering wheel controls to work on it. Thought I would, and hint to Syphers47 it would great to see instructions. I think mine is more complicated because it came with an upgraded Pioneer system and it has a sony steering wheel interface hardwired in place. But still, it's so easy to reach the unit with my right hand, that it would be difficult to train myself to use my left to toggle through the steering wheel controls.
For me, the built in tuner and amplifier in the Seicane produce better sound than the Pioneer Avic did, and the GPS system with IGO is fantastic on the large screen. With the AGAMA car launcher I installed (available on Google apps) it looks like a factory system. Also works fine in all weather conditions from -30 C to 34 C. You lose the CD player but I have my music on USB or my phone, and I was able to install an extra USB in the glove box that works to charge my phone. For $129 Canadian including delivery I think its one of the best deals I have ever gotten in my lifetime. The installed backup camera also works great with it and the large screen has great resolution and clarity. Even comes with a screensaver installed that limits fingerprints.

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5i-S (Touring)
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bumping this post in the hope that somebody has already researched replacing their 2020 head unit with an android one?

There seems to be a few sellers of the android ones, so people must be buying them?

My main concern is loosing any of the built in features of the Touring (with Navi)?

There are no issues about steering wheel controls, rear camera, radio etc. It's the unknown stuff that concerns me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts