Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Anyone done this install? Looks awkward.

These guys say you don't need the car on a lift for the install, but looks like you need to get all the way back to rear diff to access exhaust hanger. I'm thinking ramps will be neccessary. Surely car can't be on the ground.

Not into cutting the bumper cover, so not into the ecohitch.

Needs to be class 3. I use my trailer for firewood.

Any tips/advice welcome.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,877 Posts
Class III means 6000 lbs. So it is not required as your vehicle is not rated to tow that much weight. However if your objective to have 2" receiver for accessories then it's a good hitch.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Class III means 6000 lbs. So it is not required as your vehicle is not rated to tow that much weight. However if your objective to have 2" receiver for accessories then it's a good hitch.

I tow 2000-3000lbs short distances (firewood). I tow 1 cord at a time. I don't trust a class 1 receiver. I do like the 2" receiver, yes.

Yes, I realize official capacity for 2020 forester is 1,500lbs. Short haul, at non-highway speeds, affords me more weight.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,877 Posts
I have towed 3300 lbs with my class II over a distance of 1700 miles! Good luck.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,877 Posts
Yah, that is why I am hanging onto my 2001. It's got 220,000 miles and keeps on ticking!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh gosh another person from British Columbia!!! I am an expat from Vancouver!
Nelson BC here. I think I'm going to forget the hitch. CVTs and towing seem to be at odds with each other. I might just grab a $2K beater pickup on kijiji and use that for hauling resources. The towing capacity on these new Foresters is so very low.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,877 Posts
Nelson, BC, love that part of the province. Last time was mid to early 70s in Cranbrook, etc..

Yah trailers are at least 400/500 lbs empty that tow capacity don't give you much cargo capacity after that. And that 1500 lbs is with trailer brakes! The frame of the vehicle will take the weight, but as you pointed out, the CVT will not!

Take care!

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited
9 Posts
Hello all,

Anyone done this install? Looks awkward.

These guys say you don't need the car on a lift for the install, but looks like you need to get all the way back to rear diff to access exhaust hanger. I'm thinking ramps will be neccessary. Surely car can't be on the ground.

Not into cutting the bumper cover, so not into the ecohitch.

Needs to be class 3. I use my trailer for firewood.

Any tips/advice welcome.

Hi Bobby Brits, I had that exact Curt 2" receiver installed on my 2020 Forester. I watched the video and decided it was worth the $75 U-Haul (in America) charges to install it. The U-Haul I went to hand drive up ramps that were about a foot off the ground. With out the car being raised, I can't imagine maneuvering around the Muffler once you have to drop it to for the heat shield. Sorry I didn't try it myself to tell you more. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2020 Subaru Forester Touring and I installed the C13409 purchased from etrailer. (they price match) and they matched Summit Racings low price and came out ever lower $128 delivered. Installed it myself and raised the rear on jack stands. Etrailer has detailed instructional video on the entire installation and you'll need basic handtools, torque wrench if torqueing to 110 lb pounds and a conical drill but to enlarge the hole for the bolt and bolt plate to fit through the cars frame. Pretty simple install and definitely get help lifting the 40lb hitch to secure the mount to the vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts