Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so heated right now!!! NO PUN INTENDED. I bought a certified pre-owned 2020 Forester Sport on Tuesday from Rye Subaru. It only had 7000 miles and was a loaner car. Today is Thursday and the a/c completely stopped working. What's worse, I already had an appointment with service tomorrow because they have to install the front logo (the one it had was cracked) yet they told me I'd need a separate appt for the A/C and there was nothing available until Tuesday so now I have to drive my new Forester in a New York heatwave for 5 days. There's something really wrong with this picture and I don't know where to turn but I am devastated. How could a certified pre-owned car from a reptutable dealership have a faulty A/C? There's something really wrong with this picture. Am I in the hole for 33K? Honestly, I feel like returning the dam car and being done with Subaru. I had a Toyota before this and had zero issues. I will add that in March I bought a Crosstrek and the A/C on it had issues as well. I found the car small and very underwhelming so I traded it in for what I thought would be a bigger better car. Can someone please advise me what to do? i called the dealership and left a message for my rep who was out today. His superior said there was really nothing they could do as there was no opening in service until Tuesday. I feel very slighted.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,357 Posts
No one wants to purchase a vehicle, new or used, and immediately have problems, so I understand your frustration.

However, due to the pandemic, lots of dealerships are seeing staffing issues, in all manufacturer brands. Think how you would feel if you had made an appointment and waited for a week, only to get bumped by someone else.

While your car is new to you, it’s still a used vehicle. And again, in any vehicle, new or used, things sometimes break suddenly, without warning. Lots of things work just fine, until all of a sudden they don’t.

I can’t speak to how your dealership treated you in this case… possibly they could have handled it better, or maybe not…

My suggestion… withhold your judgment for a while, before condemning the vehicle and the brand… every vehicle is going to suffer a failure at some point.

However, if you don’t feel comfortable doing that, then return the vehicle and simply move on…

Good luck in whatever you choose to do…

·
Administrator
17,275 Posts
^ What Freddie said
G'day & Welcome @niecie2k Very unfortunate experience for sure; but many of us have had a bad motoring / service experience at some point. (I once purchased a brand new Range Rover that had a punctured spare tyre - guess when I found out!)

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@FelineFreddie
I really appreciate your taking the time to write. I wouldn't even know how to begin the return process or if it's even possible. I'm sure it wouldn't be easy being that I traded one in for this. I will try to calm down though and do feel better reading your reply. :0)

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(I once purchased a brand new Range Rover that had a punctured spare tyre - guess when I found out!)
Oh gosh that must have stunk for sure. My car only had 7000 miles on it so i considered it new but moreover, when a dealership tells you that the vehicle is certified pre-owned and had a xxxx point inspection - one would think the A/C would be part of that inspection. :0). I feel misled and lied to on top of extremely disappointed. I just pray this isn't a sign of things to come with this car. I owned a Toyota Corolla and drove it to the ground. No issues - ever. At 112,000 miles it would have gone 112,000 more however the inside was falling apart and it wasn't safe to drive that way so I traded it in for what I thought was also a very dependable brand. I hope I wasn't wrong.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Well, while the car only has 7k miles, it still isn't a brand new vehicle so I wouldn't instantly hang this all on Subaru. As a loaner, who knows how it was treated up to this point. Perhaps there is a leak or something else caused by some other influence.

In either case, as a 2020 CPO I would imagine you have at least part of the 3/36 warranty left, right? It should be covered under that. If this is a faulty component at the heart of the issue, they'll replace it and you should be good to go.

One thing I think the dealer should have done was offer a loaner to you for those 5 days given the recent purchase and since it used to be theirs. At least give you some kind of deal through a local car rental agency as an option.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
21 Posts
I'm sorry you are having this problem with a new car! We just bought a 2020 Premium and also had trouble with the AC. We have an appointment tomorrow for a 'check up'. My guess is that they won't be able to fix whatever they find, unless it's very simple, and it will require another appointment. The dealer is an hour and a half away unfortunately. BUT this isn't a big enough issue to make us rethink our purchase. Annoying, potentially dangerous (I'll explain), but something we think is eminently fixable, and something we can work with in the meantime. You'll have to decide if its the same for you. I would most definitely ask your dealer for a loaner and leave the new Forester with them to fix since your AC isn't working at all!!
Why potentially dangerous? We were in the desert, returning from a short vacation, and it was 120F out (yes ONE HUNDRED TWENTY). The AC kept turning off every time we idled. Red lights, traffic, etc. Then it would resume as soon as we accelerated. This is a BIG problem when it's that hot out but it was our choice to keep driving towards home and not stop and call for help. However on the way home we became aware of what might have been a very serious issue- half of the freeway was at a standstill. And that half stayed at a standstill for a LONG time due to an accident blocking their lanes. (which were separated from the other lanes by a low wall) Anyone might have found themselves in serious trouble at those temps but we kept thinking about how dangerous it might have been if our aged parents had been caught in that situation with no AC! Hind sight. We won't be taking the Forester on any long trips (except to the dealer) until we get the AC fixed and it's never that hot where we actually live so not really a problem for us!
I hope you get yours resolved quickly and satisfactorily!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
@MtnLife
If I'm not mistaken, your 2020 was a CPO as well with relatively low miles?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Sorry, got that. Was asking about Mtn's case with his A/C problem. IIRC his 2020 was a CPO as well. I was just curious.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,574 Posts
NO PUN INTENDED.
LOL Yeah, pretty sure it was. 😉

Issues with a (nearly) new car are frustrating but not that unusual. Sometimes things are defective. If you think about how complex modern cars are, it's pretty impressive that they are as reliable as they are. There's nothing wrong with this picture. 'Devastated' is a bit extreme. If this is what devastates you in your automotive history, you've been lucky. Don't sweat it. They'll replace it for free. Then drive on.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@sneefy
Thank you. If you put it into context though. I'm a single mom who saved forever to buy a new car and when I finally was able to do it, it was a pretty big deal for me. Everything is relative I guess. I appreciate all these comments. Definitely made me feel better. :eek:)

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why potentially dangerous? We were in the desert, returning from a short vacation, and it was 120F out (yes ONE HUNDRED TWENTY). The AC kept turning off every time we idled. Red lights, traffic, etc. Then it would resume as soon as we accelerated. This is a BIG problem when it's that hot out but it was our choice to keep driving towards home and not stop and call for help. However on the way home we became aware of what might have been a very serious issue- half of the freeway was at a standstill.
Wow! Potentially dangerous is right! I had to wring my clothes out from how sweaty I was when I got home!

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
798 Posts
Just adding that the A/C was working when you got it. So it seems likely that on the CPO process that the A/C was working. The person going thru the checklist ensured that all the modes were working, that it was blowing cool when asked for cool, blowing cold when asked for cold. Just because it was working then, doesn’t mean it will work forever. But the warranty is there to ensure it will work for a reasonable length of time or it will be fixed. Its disappointing that it went out, disappointing that the dealer doesn’t have a free A/C tech until Tuesday. You really don’t want the guy who changes the emblem on the body to work on the A/C. It would have been nice if they had offered a loaner or a rental but again, I don’t know what was available or how they protect their profit margin. It is a business, and the car is drivable (although it’s hot) and paying for a rental until they can get you in i don’t think is a common practice. Things happen, if the A/C wasn’t working upon delivery then it would say a lot about the (lack) of the CPO inspection, but it was. Just hope it’s an easy fix like a relay and not a part which needs to be ordered.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@hogtownrocketsled
Yes, you are right and Subaru actually DOES give loaner cars. It's why I ended up trading my Crosstrek in. They took it to do 3 recalls and check some items on it that weren't up to par (the A/C being one of them ironically enough), and I fell in LOVE with the Forester! Thank you for the comment. All of the comments have made me feel much better. :eek:)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts