Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im shopping for crossbars for my 2020 and I've never needed them before so I don't know a whole lot. I just want to install the crossbars and leave them.
Are the Subaru Aero crossbars the way to go or is there a better option? Better to me would be same or higher quality and cost less.
I plan on eventually putting a cargo basket on top. The basket I'm considering is the Rola Vortex.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
117 Posts
Better to me would be same or higher quality and cost less.
That situation just does not exist, high quality equals more time and money.
In manufacturing the customer always wants high quality, low cost and quick turn around.
I tell them to pick two, you can never have all three.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
150 Posts
The crossbars you need are directly related to what you want to carry up top. For a small cargo basket, the factory bars may be sufficient - and may be the cheapest option and easiest to install.

I carry a rooftop tent and other toys (snowboards, paddle boards), so I put a set of Yakima bars on top.
I would suggest educating yourself on the options. eTrailer has good resources.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,167 Posts
@SubiJim -
Some things to keep in mind (or not - Your choice)
Crossbars add to the aerodynamic inefficiency of what is already a less than aerodynamic vehicle.
The OEM bars are not too bad as they have a very slim wing profile. There are some others where that is not the case.
In addition to a reduction in mileage, which gets more significant with an increase of speed, a basket on top will create noise, and if you do a lot of highway driving, you may come to find that annoying. There are folks on the forum who asked similar questions to yours and had their "cool looking" basket for sale shortly after.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
181 Posts
@SubiJim -
Crossbars add to the aerodynamic inefficiency of what is already a less than aerodynamic vehicle.
The OEM bars are not too bad as they have a very slim wing profile. There are some others where that is not the case.
In addition to a reduction in mileage, which gets more significant with an increase of speed, a basket on top will create noise, and if you do a lot of highway driving, you may come to find that annoying. There are folks on the forum who asked similar questions to yours and had their "cool looking" basket for sale shortly after.
LOL. I agree. That's why you should get a crossbar that is easy and convenient to install and remove. Only install them when you are actually using them not to just look at them and waste fuel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL. I agree. That's why you should get a crossbar that is easy and convenient to install and remove. Only install them when you are actually using them not to just look at them and waste fuel.
@SubiJim -

Thank you for the feedback. For me, the "cool looking" cargo basket only needs to be installed when it's being used. I suppose I could remove the crossbars when not needed too. The reason I inquire about the Aero crossbars is because I like the slim profile. Even if I leave the crossbars attached, I'm not terribly concerned about gas mileage because my daily work commute is 4.2 miles round trip. The biggest downside is anyone with a T30 Torx driver can remove them.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,167 Posts
@SubiJim - The Aerobars impact to mileage and noise is negligible. It's a wing shape for that reason. The square bars... Not so much.
I never removed my Aerobars after first installing them and I never noticed a difference in mileage or noise.
Removal does take a bit of time, so I would think you'd have to park in a really seedy neighborhood for someone to steal them...
If that is a concern, there are torx security screws which require a special driver to remove, which would add some additional protection.
Another alternative is to round out the screw stars with a drill so that you need an easy out to remove them.
Any bar without an aerodynamic shape will create more drag and noise, but the biggest impact will be the basket or anything that causes a significant amount of additional drag.
Again, this is all speed related.. If your driving is all on city streets even a basket's effect will be minimal.
At highway speeds the magnitude of the drag force is proportional to the square of the speed, and that's the mileage killer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts