Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2020 - Adding a Powered Sub to Stock Head Unit?

('19+) 
4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Yarameme 
#1 ·
As a lot of you seem to have a lot of knowledge on this subject I’m hoping you can answer this for me (in simple terms). Just bought a 2020 forester without the HK system. I am looking at adding a powered sub. I would like to tap into the rear speaker outputs to run the high to the sub. I have looked everywhere and cannot find a diagram outlining wire colors for the new cars. So now for the questions.

1.) will I run into this same starlink problems people are reporting by using the rear speakers instead of the front? (No speaker amp here so I’m not adding extra back into the system)

2.) I popped the grauments on the rear doors and it seems as if there are 3 speaker wires going to each speaker. These are the exact same color on both sides. Obviously I only need the+&- so any clue as to which of these would be them and how to tell them apart at the back of the head unit? Each door contained 7 wires yellow, green, black, and red were all around 16-18 gauge wires and (I’m assuming the speaker wires) each door contained purple, pink, and grey That were all around 22 gauge.

#5 ·
Here is the pin out for all 2017-current Impreza, 2018-current crosstrek and 2019-current forester.
Don’t look for line level out, too much work and you may damage your harness.
Since you are using speaker/high level to feed your amp or powered sub, there will be no issue with starlink. Only concern I would have is the rear speakers may not have enough low frequency output. So, front speaker is usually preferred.
I built my own harness to run speaker signals from head unit to 2015 hk amp and back to oem speaker wires in case I need to put everything back to oem for warranty purpose in my 2020 forester sport.

#6 ·
Here is the pin out for all 2017-current Impreza, 2018-current crosstrek and 2019-current forester.
I built my own harness to run speaker signals from head unit to 2015 hk amp and back to oem speaker wires in case I need to put everything back to oem for warranty purpose in my 2020 forester sport.
So did you tap into the 23 pin connector or the 10 pin connector for your front speakers to the amp?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.