Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

What MPG are you getting on your 2020 Subaru Forester (Combined MPG = 55% city + 45% highway)?

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester premium
176 Posts
I think im getting around 23 city one time i got 21 but had some very hilly driving in there...and highway around 32-34 mixed has been 23-25 ish I have never gotten below 21. Oh and for those getting the poor mialge what did they say when you took it back and talked to the dealership about it ?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,383 Posts
Please remember that the MPG claims are based upon the EPA testing programs and is often notoriously off-base.

Used to be that the testing for highway mileage was based on the concepts of flat, rural roads (think state highways in Kansas) and not higher speed interstates (65+ mph posted limits). Now they have more testing, but it still doesn't quite compute to real world driving....

Take a look here - Detailed Test Information - and this is what the tests are like.

Note that even the high-speed test (supposed to simulate freeway driving) only has an average "trip" MPG of 48.4 MPH, just .1 MPH higher than the highway speed test (limited to 60 MPH top speed).

So it's not really Subaru's fault - it's more a fault of the test and lab specifications.

·
2009 2.5L MT
7 Posts
2020 Subaru Forester Touring, a little under 2,000 miles of driving, primarily on the highway, we're seeing highway MPG of ~27.5 MPG and city MPG of ~23 MPG for a whopping EPA equivalent combined MPG of 25 MPG. We bought the car anticipating a couple hundred thousand miles out of her and when you translate the MPG problem across those miles, it feels like we've been cheated out of well over a thousand gallons of gasoline or in real terms: $3,862 (math links at the bottom). I'm a little surprised by the magnitude of this problem -- I'm confident some of this could just be attributed to my driving style, but I'm searching for clearer reasons for this kind of incredible difference.

And a part of me wonders if Subaru has simply lied about these numbers. Here's why: Subaru Admits it Manipulated Fuel Economy and Emissions Data in Japan

My math on gas mileage: Fuel Cost Calculator vs Fuel Cost Calculator (short links go to Fuel Cost Calculator with the variables I used to calculate cost)

Are any of you seeing this kind of problem as well?
Subaru's are famous for being very tight when new mine started at 11ltr per 100km once run in dropped to as little as 6ltrs per 100km additionally depends on the octane of the fuel you are using mine preforms best on 98 octane rated petrol and is 2.5ltr engine now done 320,000kms regular serviced

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
89 Posts
Coming up on 11k miles my average mpg is 29.something. I drove to Colorado from Kansas and in a headwind the whole way I still got 26.

I treated the engine very gentle until after the first oil change. Unsure if that affects anything.

Side note, I've kept B trip data since I bought the Forester and I'm up to 8 hours of auto stop, and about 2.5 gallons iirc.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
98 Posts
I've owned 17 new cars. Every one got 1-4 mpg higher after 5-10,000 miles with the exception of my 2015 Jeep Wrangler and 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4-door), those never improved. Your mileage is fine and few cars make the EPA ratings. If you want much better mileage you will need a Hybrid (not a Subaru) or a sedan.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Sport
6 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about miles per gallon with so little mileage on the car. My previous 2 vehicles (both Jeeps) didn't show improvement in this area (as well as pep) until 10 to 15 thousand miles on the odometer. And right off the bat, our Forester is getting better mileage than our 2018 Compass ever got....

61 - 67 of 67 Posts