Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

What MPG are you getting on your 2020 Subaru Forester (Combined MPG = 55% city + 45% highway)?

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,279 Posts
Hi @DragonSubie7 - if you take a look at what I said (below), you'll see that we're pretty much in agreement -
  1. Subaru does not figure the MPG figures. That comes from the EPA and other such agencies.. Subaru may give "estimated" MPGinformation, but the actual figures promoted on the Monroney sticker on the window and used in advertising comes from the EPA. The way that the EPA tests to generate those number has changed a bit over the years, but it is still not anything even REMOTELY similar to real world driving.
    • The car is put in a room on rollers and "driven". There are changes to the drive - it's piloted by a driver - that is supposed to mimic real world driving, but each test still only averages about 48 MPH for the entire "test".
    • Other times, the manufacturer CAN provide MPG numbers that the EPA will accept as valid, but often when new engines and such are figured, they will test a vehicle at the EPA.
I realize that the horse may be dying here, but the point is that the SOURCE for the mpg numbers come from the manufacturer, not the EPA, in the vast majority of cases.
Nearly always these are based on isolated examples.
When Subaru gives the EPA the mpg number and then the EPA puts that number on the sticker, where did the number come from? The EPA?
Using that logic, if I quote your post then I'm the source for your information, which I'm not.
It's the source, not the distributor of information that is pertinent to where information is "coming from".
As to the rest of your well written original post, I agree with you.

The EPA typically gets involved when there are disputes as to the veracity (typically significant overstatement) of the manufacturer's mileage figures that were provided.

For the OP's concern, as I and others now have stated, the numbers are for comparison, rather than actual expected values, and this is clearly stated on the EPA sticker. That being said, while I doubt there is any legal matter to be resolved, the OP is free to file a complaint with the EPA regarding the stated figures.
The problem with that going anywhere is that there are others on this same site that report figures in line with the sticker's estimate.
So who is right?
The sticker - Numbers are for comparison, and your actual mileage can vary.

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
89 Posts
By hand calcs at fill ups, my worst tank in 1600 miles has been 29.2mpg. it's usually 30.x.

Adaptive cruise is nice for traffic but it will cost you mileage. Any time you touch the brakes you're dragging down your mpg. Learn to look down the road and coast the cruise or use the paddle shifters to slow down instead of the brake.

Reactions: DragonSubie7

·
Registered
2019 Forester
183 Posts
I get 35 or so on highway and mid-20's in city depending on where I drive and how. Short 1 mile trips to grocery very low and across town in city in mid-20's

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,383 Posts
Did you know there's a Maintenance feature in the dash computer that you can program to notify you of the next service?
There was a maintenance schedule setting screen on the central MFD on the previous generation (SJ) Foresters. Not sure about the new SK (2019 and newer)

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Forester CVT
26 Posts
Your engine (or for that matter, any other manufacturer's) isn't tuned for maximum mileage efficiency, but for lowest emissions. Between CARB standards and whatever gasohol chemistry is sold in your market, your mileage per gallon will vary significantly depending on region and season. If you're going to compare apples to apples, don't compare your summertime California driving experience to that of someone driving in the Southeast.

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
89 Posts
Fuel efficiency and emissions go hand in hand though.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
28 Posts

9K miles in 4 months and averaging 30.4. A good amount of it is commuting to work but we do a decent amount of camping and exploring which drags it down a bit. I also have A/T tires but I don’t think that makes much of a difference.

For me it was a compromise between a 4Runner/Wrangler and decent fuel economy.

edit: The on board calculator is always ~2 MPG high on mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought my wife a 2020 Forester on 30 January 2020. That was almost 9 months ago.
It now has 543 miles on, but we started at 93, so we actually put 450 miles on it.
I tell my friends it gets about 50 miles a month.

The stats on our car are of no help to this thread. My wife shows 24.4 MPG over the past 130 miles.
But, most of her trips don't even get the motor up to operating temp.
I did check a 18 mile trip with the dash. It got 37.6 going, and 34.7 coming. That's not too bad.

Looking at 47 inputs, things are all over the map. But hey, it's a Poll thread.
When I looked at the Poll sideways, it made a very nice Bell Curve.
That curve seems to center between 26 and 32 MPG for mixed driving.
Given a 3,521 lb curb weight and boxy shape, I'd say that's pretty good.

My 1959 German version VW Bug weighed 1,600 lbs with 29 HP. It still only averaged about 30 MPG.

When the COVID lets up, or they have a vaccine, I'll take it for a long trip.
We're in our mid 70s, and the wife has Congestive Heart Failure. We don't get out a lot since the COVID.

In the next couple years, I expect to replace my 2012 Ford Escape with another Subi. 😁

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,628 Posts
Lets see...the OP posted 2 months ago complaining about mileage and has not been back since. Methinks me smells a rat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just finished my 4th tank and just over 900 miles (about 70% city - but no "rush hour" stop & go) since 07/04 & I have calculated the average mileage to be 21.81 mpg.

Even when I do make a freeway run, the dash display only indicates a mileage of 25 ~ 27 mpg. for that brief time, then it rapidly drops again. I know this is "counter-intuitive, but I found it "helped", when I remembered to put it into "S" mode at every start up.

Overall, I love the car, but I'm very disappointed in the mileage I'm seeing.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
1 Posts
1300 miles, Fuelly average MPG of 20.7. Primarily city driving. Really really hoping that this improves over the next several thousand miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2020 Subaru Forester Touring, a little under 2,000 miles of driving, primarily on the highway, we're seeing highway MPG of ~27.5 MPG and city MPG of ~23 MPG for a whopping EPA equivalent combined MPG of 25 MPG. We bought the car anticipating a couple hundred thousand miles out of her and when you translate the MPG problem across those miles, it feels like we've been cheated out of well over a thousand gallons of gasoline or in real terms: $3,862 (math links at the bottom). I'm a little surprised by the magnitude of this problem -- I'm confident some of this could just be attributed to my driving style, but I'm searching for clearer reasons for this kind of incredible difference.

And a part of me wonders if Subaru has simply lied about these numbers. Here's why: Subaru Admits it Manipulated Fuel Economy and Emissions Data in Japan

My math on gas mileage: Fuel Cost Calculator vs Fuel Cost Calculator (short links go to Fuel Cost Calculator with the variables I used to calculate cost)

Are any of you seeing this kind of problem as well?
I am in perfect agreement with you, I feel they may have lied also because I read the same article. I have a 2019 and I’m only getting 19 mpg at the most and that is my overall driving for two years on this current vehicle. I got 25 to 26 miles per gallon average on my 2017 Forrester. The only reason I changed is because of my lease ending, so naturally I got the newest model 2019. I feel that these new revamps are probably lacking. I met someone in a Costco parking lot who was parked right near me, and who leased his 2019 same dealership, a few months after I did and he was having the same poor mileage issue. I was going to keep this vehicle but now I lose my equity from the lease because rising gas prices will make it unaffordable for me to drive this vehicle. If not Subaru, will find another brand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, all are optimistic, some more than others.

In my case, I did the calculations from our Fuelly site and the actual, honest to goodness tally for the trip was 31.3 MPG, a difference of 1.6 MPG (or about 5% optimistic). Not as bad as some I've seen.

BTW - my 2 best tanks on that trip were right at 38 MPG (actual).
I just joined couple hours ago, and I find this very entertaining, the screen diagnostic is definitely entertainment purposes, I’ve been commenting around this forum, I only get 19 at the most on my 2019, I check it every single thankful, and my Forrester, I will not keep this one more yeaI just joined couple hours ago, and I find this very entertaining, the screen diagnostic is definitely entertainment purposes, I’ve been commenting around this forum, I only get 19 at the most on my 2019 Forester, I check it every single tankful , I will not keep this one once I fulfill the one remaining year on my lease and I definitely wanted to. Now I’ve lost my equity. I don’t think I trust Subaru mpg estimates anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dash display is for entertainment purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary.
Mileage isn't going to change much more than a couple of mpg's (or at all in many cases) after the proverbial "break in" period.
Mostly, it's how you drive. With your (OP's) speed limited to 55, the mileage seems quite low..
Still aerodynamics (or lack of same) still affect the Foz. It's rather tall and boxy which makes it more subject to wind induced drag.
Tires can have a fairly large effect if underinflated, and aggressive tread tires or oversized will also make a difference.
A roof rack is good for a significant drop in economy, especially when occupied.
I think the dashboard is for entertainment purposes also. I have driven both Forester 2017 premium and now have Forester 2019 premium, big difference in average mileage at least 6 to 7 miles per gallon less on my new model. Both models are all wheel drive, I don’t think there is a significant difference between 2017 and 2019 weight wise. My driving habits have never changed., I think 19 miles per gallon average is horrible, and with the rising prices of gas to God knows what, I won’t be able to keep this vehicle, definitely not at 19 MPG, when my lease ends next year. And I also read that article as another member on this forum mentions, with Subaru lying in Japan about mileage estimates. The dashboard diagnostics is wrong, I do my own check every single tankful, And did most other tankfuls of all my former vehicles including the 2017 Forrester which gave me much better mileage.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
......dude. You don't need to quote a bunch of past posts individually to make the same point. Just summarize your thoughts in one reply. .....we get it.

My wife's Forester isn't doing much better than what she got in her '08 either. About 22-23 avg mpg now with a few more thousand on the odo. To be honest though, that's about what I was expecting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Costco gas is the best... ;) Well said @FozzieBalou

I've noticed when I use "S" mode on the highway, the RPM's like to stay around 400-500 higher. This would add up over time and a tank.
Costco gas is top-tier gasoline, I always use it every single fill for both my former Forester premium 2017 and my current Forrester 2019 premium. My gas mileage on my Forrester 2019 is never more than 19 mpg, it is dismal. Both vehicles very similar my previous 2017 usually got about 25 or 26 mpg all around driving for three years. Not this new one which I am now driving almost 2 full years.
......dude. You don't need to quote a bunch of past posts individually to make the same point. Just summarize your thoughts in one reply. .....we get it.

My wife's Forester isn't doing much better than what she got in her '08 either. About 22-23 avg mpg now with a few more thousand on the odo. To be honest though, that's about what I was expecting.
got it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's fantastic! Has your gas mileage improved over time? Maybe I'm just jumping the gun here -- your gas mileage is precisely what I'd be expecting. And I'm talking about driving this car on near level roads right now out here in California.
I don’t trust the dash display, you should do your own trip odometer check.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts