Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

What MPG are you getting on your 2020 Subaru Forester (Combined MPG = 55% city + 45% highway)?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2015 forester, 6 speeds and a quart of oil
149 Posts
Please consider you may need to calculate mileage the old-fashioned way instead of relying upon the mileage function of the car. My car always over-reports the mileage by 1 to 1.5 miles/gallon

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
101 Posts
I have a spreadsheet and have kept track of every fuel up. Car was driving 7k miles and only used Costco gas (except on 2 instances).
Avg mpg was 24.4. Total fuel cost was $583 with an average price per gallon at $1.89. 10 miles on the freeway one-way for the most part, but I would say it is about a mix of 50/50 mix driving overall. I did notice that winter blend does drop MPG by about 10% but that is expected.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester premium
176 Posts
26-29 here..took a 3 hour trip back home PA to NY state(not the city im born and raised in NY for 21 years i lived there never got within 3 hours of the city) and got over rolling hills/highway 35MPG city when home was getting 24.7

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
40 Posts
Started mine with 24-25mpg around 500-1500miles. I'm not at 5,000miles and I'm getting 26-27mpg. Driving style and distance hasn't changed. One day while driving on a long boring highway at night, I pull out the of the gas station and gunned it to 60mph. I left it on cruise control at 60 for almost 20,30mins. My on screen average was 34mpg. Is it possible to achieve 30+ on highway? It sure is but how realistic is it all depends on many different variables.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,383 Posts
One other thing to consider - in regards to the original post and the posted MPG figures for the Forester -
  1. Subaru does not figure the MPG figures. That comes from the EPA and other such agencies.. Subaru may give "estimated" MPG information, but the actual figures promoted on the Monroney sticker on the window and used in advertising comes from the EPA. The way that the EPA tests to generate those number has changed a bit over the years, but it is still not anything even REMOTELY similar to real world driving.
    • The car is put in a room on rollers and "driven". There are changes to the drive - it's piloted by a driver - that is supposed to mimic real world driving, but each test still only averages about 48 MPH for the entire "test".
    • Other times, the manufacturer CAN provide MPG numbers that the EPA will accept as valid, but often when new engines and such are figured, they will test a vehicle at the EPA.
  2. As mentioned, the shape of the Forester is a big factor in the MPG - a box is only "so" aerodynamic. The faster you try to go, the more the air pushes back and the harder the engine has to work. Add roof rack bars, baskets and store stuff up there, and you're making the box even harder to push through the air.
  3. Also as mentioned, the weight of additional equipment will also be a detriment to MPG. The argument about AWD equipment adding weight only holds so much, however, because it's only valid when comparing AWD vs non-AWD comparisons. But where the AWD equipment really may sap the MPG is the "drag" of the additional driveline components. But this is also true for any of the engine driven accessories (your power steering, air conditioning, etc). Just as these bits of equipment can 'absorb' horsepower, they also drain MPG by making the engine work harder.
  4. There are also the environmental details to consider - things like barometric pressure, wind, elevations, and the like. Each and any of these can increase or decrease your MPG.
    • I live near Palm Springs and the road westward towards the coast (the I-10 interstate) is a low grade climb out of the valley and is often a bit of a wind tunnel, wind blowing west to east. So driving out of the valley will always consume a huge amount of gas due to the change in elevation and the head wind. I've found that if I drive to LA, I'll see a mid/low 20s range for the trip MPG but if I fill up before returning, I'll see a low 30s MPG for the return trip - even though I have some big grades to go UP when returning home.
The point of all of this above is that there are a lot of variables to your mileage per gallon and - as they always say - your mileage may vary. It's all about science and math and physics.

Know that your Forester is one of the most economical small SUVs on the road today when comparing with others. Mind you, it can be beaten in the MPG by any diesel models or hybrid models, but on a gas to gas comparison, the Foz wins. And you can increase your mileage by driving differently.

The "I" setting on the steering wheel will change the way that the CVT operates. It's the "intelligent" mode where the CVT will tend to "shift" to a higher ratio quicker for better mileage. The "S" mode (sport) is for higher shift points for performance and better acceleration.

Chances are that the Foz (and really every other car, truck, SUV out there) will never meet or beat the estimated MPG numbers that are advertised and promoted all over the place. That estimated MPG is generally a "best guess" and is not generally considering real world factors you'll encounter in your daily drives.

I drive a 2014 2.5 Limited without the "S - I" modes (those were on the XT). I note that if I keep my revs under 3K and don't race the motor, I get better mileage. When I regularly go over 3000 RPM, I see my MPG slip. As mentioned, I live in the deserts of So Cal and so the AC is running all the time at least 4 months out of the year. And as my commute is about 50 feet (work from home), my driving is pretty much just around town - going shopping, running errands, going to Poke-stops when playing PokemonGo. I see about 300 miles per fill, but I don't go all the way to empty, either, usually filling up on 11 to 13 gallons of gas.

Speaking of gas - one other consideration is the quality of the gas - some seem to be better for running the engine and getting better MPG.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Costco gas is the best... ;) Well said @FozzieBalou

I've noticed when I use "S" mode on the highway, the RPM's like to stay around 400-500 higher. This would add up over time and a tank.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester premium
176 Posts
Started mine with 24-25mpg around 500-1500miles. I'm not at 5,000miles and I'm getting 26-27mpg. Driving style and distance hasn't changed. One day while driving on a long boring highway at night, I pull out the of the gas station and gunned it to 60mph. I left it on cruise control at 60 for almost 20,30mins. My on screen average was 34mpg. Is it possible to achieve 30+ on highway? It sure is but how realistic is it all depends on many different variables.
100% is we live in the hills of PA not Rocky Mountains not flat lots of up and down... then when i go on trips back to Western NY state its flat+ smaller hills...when I go down to Harrisburg/Hershey PA its mostly flat

On the hills I get around 26-27 in town 25 On highway with s0me hills 33-34MPG and on the flay highway 35-36 this is at 70ish MPH

what I was getting at is unless youre in the mountains, or you have a lead foot...if youre on the highway you SHOULD EASILY manage 33 MPG

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium and 2021 Impreza
414 Posts
100% is we live in the hills of PA not Rocky Mountains not flat lots of up and down... then when i go on trips back to Western NY state its flat+ smaller hills...when I go down to Harrisburg/Hershey PA its mostly flat

On the hills I get around 26-27 in town 25 On highway with s0me hills 33-34MPG and on the flay highway 35-36 this is at 70ish MPH

what I was getting at is unless youre in the mountains, or you have a lead foot...if youre on the highway you SHOULD EASILY manage 33 MPG
I am pleased with my mpg but I accelerate a bit slower etc but will go 75 in a 55 mph zone on the interstate and keep to 5mph over in town driving...I am avg 33.9 on the car screen, I average 33.0 by hand calculation. For AWD and not a small car i think its pretty good.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,279 Posts
One other thing to consider - in regards to the original post and the posted MPG figures for the Forester -
  1. Subaru does not figure the MPG figures. That comes from the EPA and other such agencies.. Subaru may give "estimated" MPG information, but the actual figures promoted on the Monroney sticker on the window and used in advertising comes from the EPA. The way that the EPA tests to generate those number has changed a bit over the years, but it is still not anything even REMOTELY similar to real world driving
Nope.
The Feds website doesn't agree with you:
Official US Govt source for fuel economy
Most (80% to 85%) of EPA ratings are provided to the EPA by the car's manufacturer.
Another important snippet:
:"
Which Vehicles Are Tested
Manufacturers do not test every new vehicle offered for sale. They are only required to test one representative vehicle—typically a preproduction prototype—for each combination of loaded vehicle weight class, transmission class, and basic engine. "

That information is then forwarded to the EPA and the manufacturer's number is generally the one put on the official sticker.
The most significant point about the MPG rating is that it's for COMPARISON PURPOSES ONLY and is not intended to be an actual result due to the large potential variations in multivariate factors.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
91 Posts
We've filled up our 2020 Forester Touring six(6) times since getting it early this spring. 26.9 MPG average according to Fuelly iOS app, which we've been using for years. We've yet to take an expressway-only trip for an entire tank. I expect the MPG will improve on a trip without start and stops of city driving.

Our 2015 Subaru Forester Limited (now our granddaugher's car) averaged 27.1 after 255 fill-ups, tracking since day 1 on Fuelly.

So they're about the same. A cross between highway and city for most tanks on both cars.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,383 Posts
Hi @DragonSubie7 - if you take a look at what I said (below), you'll see that we're pretty much in agreement -
  1. Subaru does not figure the MPG figures. That comes from the EPA and other such agencies.. Subaru may give "estimated" MPG information, but the actual figures promoted on the Monroney sticker on the window and used in advertising comes from the EPA. The way that the EPA tests to generate those number has changed a bit over the years, but it is still not anything even REMOTELY similar to real world driving.
    • The car is put in a room on rollers and "driven". There are changes to the drive - it's piloted by a driver - that is supposed to mimic real world driving, but each test still only averages about 48 MPH for the entire "test".
    • Other times, the manufacturer CAN provide MPG numbers that the EPA will accept as valid, but often when new engines and such are figured, they will test a vehicle at the EPA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
if youre on the highway you SHOULD EASILY manage 33 MPG
Honestly, I have a hard time believing this. For any extended period of time in my forester, I'm unable to get anywhere near this except for moments where the car can move with it's own momentum. I wonder if the trim of the forester makes a substantial difference here -- what version of the Forester are you using?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,383 Posts
Other than some additional weight (probably just a few hundred between lower and upper trims) the trim level wouldn't make much difference - maybe a just a percentage point or two.

Speed will have more impact on the mileage than trim level.

One other thing - the article reference from Motor Trend (below) is dated 2018. If it was reported in 2018, then they're not still fudging the numbers 2 years later.

And a part of me wonders if Subaru has simply lied about these numbers. Here's why: Subaru Admits it Manipulated Fuel Economy and Emissions Data in Japan

The type of driving you do has more impact on MPG, what equipment you have running at any given time (AC? saps MPG).... And again, estimates are just that - estimates.

·
Registered
406 Posts
At a little under 2,000 miles of driving, primarily on the highway, we're seeing highway MPG of ~27.5 MPG and city MPG of ~23 MPG for a whopping EPA equivalent combined MPG of 25 MPG. We bought the car anticipating a couple hundred thousand miles out of her and when you translate the MPG problem across those miles, it feels like we've been cheated out of well over a thousand gallons of gasoline or in real terms: $3,862 (math links at the bottom). I'm a little surprised by the magnitude of this problem -- I'm confident some of this could just be attributed to my driving style, but I'm searching for clearer reasons for this kind of incredible difference.

And a part of me wonders if Subaru has simply lied about these numbers. Here's why: Subaru Admits it Manipulated Fuel Economy and Emissions Data in Japan

My math on gas mileage: Fuel Cost Calculator vs Fuel Cost Calculator (short links go to Fuel Cost Calculator with the variables I used to calculate cost)

Are any of you seeing this kind of problem as well?
So since stated MPG is just for comparing one vehicle to another and not any indication of real life MPG- I have to ask how were you cheated? Sue the EPA. It's their test standards so your issue is with them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Nope.
The Feds website doesn't agree with you:
Official US Govt source for fuel economy
Most (80% to 85%) of EPA ratings are provided to the EPA by the car's manufacturer.
Another important snippet:
:"
Which Vehicles Are Tested
Manufacturers do not test every new vehicle offered for sale. They are only required to test one representative vehicle—typically a preproduction prototype—for each combination of loaded vehicle weight class, transmission class, and basic engine. "

That information is then forwarded to the EPA and the manufacturer's number is generally the one put on the official sticker.
The most significant point about the MPG rating is that it's for COMPARISON PURPOSES ONLY and is not intended to be an actual result due to the large potential variations in multivariate factors.
Keep in mind the numbers given are based on the EPA's test standards. Can a company cheat, yes, but then they'll get in trouble.

The test is one of the reasons diesels used tend to do well above the sticker MPG. At least that was before all the new emmsions over the last 10+ years

·
Registered
2019 Forester, 2012 STi, 2008 Forester (Sold)
123 Posts
Honestly, I have a hard time believing this. For any extended period of time in my forester, I'm unable to get anywhere near this except for moments where the car can move with it's own momentum. I wonder if the trim of the forester makes a substantial difference here -- what version of the Forester are you using?
Believe it. I'd say either something wrong with your car or your driving style. Here is my log for our family trip to the East coast from the Toronto area last Summer. Four of us in the car, fully loaded for two weeks. It's in metric but for your convenience, the best tank of 6.7 L/100km equates to 35.1 MPG (US). The worst tank of 7.5 had a lot of city driving and higher speed highway driving and equates to 31.4 MPG (US). The average is 7.1 which is 33.1 MPG (US). The trim level is "Convenience" which I don't believe is offered in the USA but is between Base and Touring.

LocationKMsLiters L/100KMs Store
Eastern ON
745​
56​
7.5ONRoute
Levis QC
750​
53​
7.1Shell
Chandler QC
800​
53.4​
6.7Petro-Canada
Oxford NB
786​
54​
6.9Ultramar
Bras D'Or NS
782​
55.4​
7.1Esso
Stratford PE
748​
54.4​
7.3Petro-Canada
Moffitt QC
770​
54.4​
7.1Irving
St Helene QC
735​
53.7​
7.3Petro-Canada

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
101 Posts
I'm with you on this - even after filling up at Costco and a 2 mile drive from Costco through the hills, I get about 29. For your reference, I never said you should get 33 mpg on the freeway.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts