Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all! I just picked up a 2020 forester limited 225/60-17. I would like to put a beefy all terrain tire on but I’m not sure how much bigger of a tire I could go before I run into trouble with rubbing on the plastic. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,868 Posts
Welcome to the forums...

There are great resources here on the forums... Just need to use the advance option within the forum search bar.

A lot of people have had great success with Copper Discover AT3, Falken Wildpeaks, BFG KO2, etc...

Feel free to give @Discount Tire a PM, or check out their Vendor Forum for specials and info...

C.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport
21 Posts
I really like the look of the Falken Wildpeak A/T but the lead time to get them in was too long so I went with the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015. I don't regret my decision. They do great in the snow and so far they've been great on every trail I've been on, rocky, gravel, dirt, and mud. I don't have clean pics of my Subie because, well.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
2 Posts
Hey y’all! I just picked up a 2020 forester limited 225/60-17. I would like to put a beefy all terrain tire on but I’m not sure how much bigger of a tire I could go before I run into trouble with rubbing on the plastic. Any input is appreciated, thanks!
The Dealership put the Falken Wildpeaks on my 2020 forester sport on the factory 18" rims. They have been performing wonderfully! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
551 Posts
You can easily go 1/2" larger in diameter without a lift. With a lift about 1" max. You can use some online calcs to find the right fit.

If you don't add a lift kit and are cost conscious, then finding 18" tires is the best option. If you can afford, plan on a lift kit and/or plan to go offroad now or later then you should consider 17" wheels. This will allow you to mount a tire with larger sidewalls for better off road and rock crawling performance.

I like to use this tire size calc: Tire Size Calculator

I love the look, quiet ride and off road performance of the BFG KO2 tires. Mounted on 17" Drag wheels. recently picked up a matching used wheel from DT Direct for the spare too, so now I have a matching set of 5 wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really like the look of the Falken Wildpeak A/T but the lead time to get them in was too long so I went with the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015. I don't regret my decision. They do great in the snow and so far they've been great on every trail I've been on, rocky, gravel, dirt, and mud. I don't have clean pics of my Subie because, well.

View attachment 533241
Hello there.

View attachment 533241
Hi there. Those look great. If I may ask. What size wheel and tire did you settle on?

I'm wondering if 17" Subie rims and 225/65 R17's. Would fit ok without rubbing. That'll give about a half inch more in height.

·
Administrator
14,087 Posts
G'day & Welcome aboard @SubieShane

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here's a good setup to reference. This is a '20 with 2" LP lift and Firestone AT2 235/65/17. Total clearance gain is almost 3" Points for you to consider....

• These tires @ 29.1" barely cleared with stock suspension....I mean barely.....but they did.
  • If I were running stock......a 225/65/17 would have been a better (28.5") choice.
  • Firestone AT2 in 3-5 lbs or more less per tire than many others. (I think minus 8lbs vs KO2)
  • AT2 is more aggressive in off road capability than say the G015 but lighter by a lot and very good in snow.
Here it is with the 235's with the lift. 225's without the lift would be very similar.

side view 3.jpg
snow 1000 px.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's a good setup to reference. This is a '20 with 2" LP lift and Firestone AT2 235/65/17. Total clearance gain is almost 3" Points for you to consider....

• These tires @ 29.1" barely cleared with stock suspension....I mean barely.....but they did.
  • If I were running stock......a 225/65/17 would have been a better (28.5") choice.
  • Firestone AT2 in 3-5 lbs or more less per tire than many others. (I think minus 8lbs vs KO2)
  • AT2 is more aggressive in off road capability than say the G015 but lighter by a lot and very good in snow.
Here it is with the 235's with the lift. 225's without the lift would be very similar.

View attachment 536616 View attachment 536617
Thank you for the info and the reference. I greatly appreciate it!! Awesome insight. Thank you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ya know......I was hoping to do a long term MPG test with it but the dang stuff melted too quick. I can say that handling at freeway speeds was seriously affected. There must be a lot of other drivers that were enthused about my testing this as many drivers would go by waving one finger out their windows........ya know like "dude you're #1" I mean uhhh......I guess that's what they meant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the wildpeaks ever on sale anywhere?
Idk if Wildpeaks specifically ever go on sale. But I've seen "Specials" for "Buy 3 get the 4th Free" type of thing. Again, I've never looked into it to see which tires are included in those kinds of promotions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts