Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and I asked this question in my introduction post but was told to ask again over here. So I just bought a 2020 Forester Sport 225 55 18R. I want to upgrade the tires with out adding a lift. I am looking at the Falken Wildpeak A/T in 235 55 18R. My main concern is how they will affect all the sensors and safety features that came with the vehicle. Will changing the size of the tire affect the eyesight, all wheel drive / x mode features, and other sensors the vehicle came with? Would you all recommend going up slightly in size or just get the A/T tire in the stock 225 55 18R?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport
15 Posts
I bought the same model Forester you did and was at odds of lifting and getting bigger wheels but I just liked the look of the 18" alloys that came with the Sport. The Falken Wildpeak A/Ts was a set that I was looking at followed by the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 both in 225/55R18. Even though the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 were more expensive I opted to purchase these since they had better reviews and better ratings than the Falkens. I am glad I did. These dramatically have changed the way my Forester handles not only on dry roadways but in wet and snowy conditions. I even drove through a dirt parking lot covered in nearly foot of snow without an issue. In the ever changing day to day Colorado weather conditions I believe I have made the right choice.

Side note I'm still thinking of lifting it 2" but keeping my existing wheels.

Since this is my first post I guess I can't post a link to what I got.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring Jasper Green
63 Posts
You can also try 60 profile tires in the 225 width as some here have done. I'm thinking of doing that when I get tired of the stock falkens. My theory is that will have less negative effect on mileage due to relatively less rolling resistance than the 235 but I have no proof of that.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am embarrassed to say this but I didn't realize one of the posts on here about the exact tires I am looking at was actually 9 pages long. I was only looking at the first page. Sounds like most people that went with the 235/55r18 wildpeaks have not had any problems except maybe a little rubbing on the plastic wheel wells. I just put an order in for them at my local Townfair and I am having them installed tomorrow. They give you 30 days to test drive them so if any issues do come up I can return them for free and go with the OEM 225 tires.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
239 Posts
Subbed, looking to hear back from you after you have put some miles on it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
62 Posts
We've had Falken Wildpeak AT 235/55/18 on our 2019 Touring for about 6 months now. Love the look and the ride, not too heavy, still getting just over 27 mpg.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I just went over 1000 miles on the new tires after this latest trip up north. All highway and back roads driving, no city or off-road yet. Even with the 1.5% increase in tire size the car still reads at over 28mpg, meaning I’m actually doing better than that even with the larger/heavier tires. I don’t drive it like an idiot but I’m also not a grandma.
I have not noticed any change in handling or acceleration. It could just be me being overly sensitive but it does feel like it takes a bit more force to decelerate to a stop. I haven’t been in a snow storm yet but plenty or wet, icy, slick roads and so far they have been perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts