Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Premium
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

2020 Forester premium with about 1800 miles. Hasn’t had its first oil change yet. Noticing an odd grinding or whooshing (??) noise that occurs about every other second or so at idle after the car has been driven for a bit. Please see the link to a video below (you might have to turn the sound up). Figured I would post here before going to the dealer.
Let me know if the link doesn’t work and thank you!

mike

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
4,031 Posts
off to the dealer with you... whatever it is - they should be able to find it... be sure to bring the recording on your phone or whatever so you can play it for them if the noise is NOT there when you arrive. Stop by, when the noise is happening - and then make an appointment if they can not take you right then and provide a loaner or whatever.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@FozzieBalou Yeah it's an odd one. This is my 3rd Subaru (I owned a 2014 and 2018 Crosstrek prior to my 2020 Forester) and I know these boxer engines tend to be noisy but I've never heard anything like this. Especially concerning with less than 2000 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any answers. But damn does that look new and shiny!
Car has been mostly excellent in the 6 weeks that I've owned it. This issue does not affect the car's drivability either. No power loss, slipping "gears", etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update- made an appointment to bring it to the dealer on 6/22 as this was the first available appointment. I'll update everyone with what they find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update time!

I finally had the chance to bring my Forester to the dealer this morning. Apparently, that noise was triggered by an internal fault within the AC compressor, per my service advisor. They are replacing the compressor under warranty. The part had to be ordered and I should have the Forester back on Friday.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
12 Posts
Update time!

I finally had the chance to bring my Forester to the dealer this morning. Apparently, that noise was triggered by an internal fault within the AC compressor, per my service advisor. They are replacing the compressor under warranty. The part had to be ordered and I should have the Forester back on Friday.
Did it fix the noise? I have the exact same sound on my 20 Forester touring.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Also interested if the repair took care of it.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
91 Posts
Was it only making the noise when the a/c was on? Or did it make that "whooshing" noise all the time? Can you hear it while sitting inside the vehicle? Or only when you lift the hood? Not hearing the noise on my 2020 ... but want to be on the look out. Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
12 Posts
Only made the noise when the A/C was off. Could only hear in the car when parked, idling after it warmed up, and with the radio off. When outside could hear it very well when idling. That's when I noticed it.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
5 Posts
Oh my goodness. I am sooo thankful for your post and the video. My 2020 forester with less than 500 miles is doing the EXACT SAME THING. I'm making an appointment! Did they run some sort of computer diagnostic test that determined this?

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.