Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 metallic gray sport
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does everyone get the verbatim scheduled service at 12,000? Is it required for warranty?
Is it overkill like many manufacturer suggested maintenance?

Thanks....purchased in Sept. and miles are piling up.

·
Administrator
15,982 Posts
It is required for warranty be it distance or time based over here. At least you get 12K miles over there; we get just 12.5K kilometres (7.8K miles) which is a blatant rip-off! Timing belts used to be at 100K kilometers / 60K miles yet another rip-off; even now at 125K kilometres (I think) still a rip-off.

·
Registered
2020 metallic gray sport
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Waste of $25.....dealer hit me up with the cabin air filter, and I wasn’t expecting that...$50 total.

I‘ll do the engine filter myself...another $50. They both seem simple now.

Air filter was filthy, which was surprising for highway driving.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport/2018 Crosstrek Prem
216 Posts
Waste of $25.....dealer hit me up with the cabin air filter, and I wasn’t expecting that...$50 total.

Air filter was filthy, which was surprising for highway driving.
Sorry to hear you got ripped off. Cabin air filter is easy to check yourself...

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,486 Posts
Rip off. Rotate tires every 8 to 10 K miles

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Premium
28 Posts
I just completed my 2020 Forester 6K/12mo scheduled maintenance. Was caught off guard on check/inspect rear differential fluid? I believe it's to be checked every 12k miles (don't have maint. schedule in front of me).

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,045 Posts
I suspect checking the rear diff fluid happens about as frequently as so-called examinations of spark plugs or O2 sensors, namely it does not happen. I am of the school that you should change the oil at least every six months and ideally every 3000 miles for long-term engine health.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
962 Posts
Quite often, dealership service department fluid inspections translate into looking to see if there are visible fluid leaks, and nothing more, with the assumption that no visible leak translates into the fluid level being acceptable.

As for spark plug/sensor checks, those probably translate into verifying the engine has them installed... nothing more. If you’re going to inspect them, you might as well replace them at the same time, from a “cost of labor/effort” perspective .

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,063 Posts
At least you get 12K miles over there; we get just 12.5K kilometres (7.8K miles) which is a blatant rip-off! Timing belts used to be at 100K kilometers / 60K miles yet another rip-off; even now at 125K kilometres (I think) still a rip-off.
My theory - Somebody screwed up the metric conversion, and Subaru is too embarrassed to admit it.

"Hey, what's our number?"

"100"

"Got it."

But back to the basic question - The answer is that getting it done preserves the warranty. Good insurance.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,080 Posts
@2020sportbuyer
A point not yet mentioned. To keep your warranty valid, NONE of the maintenance need be performed by the dealer, and that is by statute in the USA.
Much of what they overcharge you for can be done simply yourself, or less expensive elsewhere.
e.g. If you buy tires at Discount Tire, tire rotations are free.
A dealer must be employed for most (all?) free warranty work, but other than that, you can chose anyone, including yourself, to maintain your car.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
777 Posts

A simple education, think of all the money you'll be saving over the next 40 yrs. Half full side of the glass :cool:

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
856 Posts
I remember the 'good' 'ol days of 1,000 mile service intervals.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,045 Posts
I love how some people assume that Subaru messed up by having shorter service intervals in metric countries. What if the error is the reverse and they messed up with the longer intervals in the US?
Would you rather buy a used Forester in 10 years with 120,000 miles on it that had 10 oil changes in its lifetime, or one that had at least 20?
Long service intervals, may appear to save money on maintenance, but may well have the effect of meaning larger engine repair bills in the future. I think the same can be said for CVT transmission fluid changes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts