Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2019 - Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 235/60-18 - No Lift

('19+) 
38K views 74 replies 21 participants last post by  QMaze 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, starting a new thread similar to another members but different tire. Tires arrived and they are a beast, they look huge off the car. Should be installed either this Saturday or next. I will weigh them tomorrow.

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
Just an update after getting the tires installed today, I am going out tonight to get some good pics but I'll throw up some mobile snaps after it was done. First impressions, do you remember that moment you went and picked up your new Subaru and it was sitting in the showroom, well seeing my car roll out of the bay, I was floored, the feeling can't be described, it was just SICK! The transformation in my opinion is so worth it, the tires alone have taken any softness away from the car and thrown a ton of testosterone at it, definitely toughened it up. Subaru if you are listening create an offroad trim and add these tires, it's a different vehicle.

Getting into the vehicle it did feel taller, might have been a psychological thing, first impressions driving, very smooth tires. I deliberately drove through the city streets, windows down, no music and you could hear the tires more than stock but within a couple of kms, that kind of went away. More of a rigid feel, and the tires being LT I think are more sensitive to lines, bumps so a little stiff but railway tracks are handled far better over the Falkens. The Falkens are great smooth tires but I prefer the feeling of the road better and these fit the bill.

I'm running 36 psi and I'm going to do a chalk test tomorrow to get the correct tire pressure but they felt nice, handled great, no rubbing that I could tell, will do an inspection. Overall very happy with these tires, love the ruggedness look and feel.

I'll post some quick pics but will add more tomorrow. My next item will be installing a Rallitek spring upgrade kit, I find the factory springs are just to compliant, I don't like bouncing when driving over speed bumps.

#31 ·
So today twice I noticed a heard a rub when turning right when going up or down on an incline, very slight. So I thought well i hadn't heard anything till I added those front mudflaps. Low and behold no marks but i did notice a slight rub mark the inside right fender well plastic front portion when the tire was turned all the way right and the right conditions. This only occurred today which weird but there was a small rub mark, ill grab a pic to show. Suspension upgrade might come sooner than expected.

#32 ·
Hi QMaze, I was thinking about putting those tires on, Yokohama Geolandars A/T G015s. I have a 2019 forester touring that i'm lifting with the LP Aventure kit. I'm keeping my stock 18" rims. I'm trying to decide between the stock size, 225/55R18 Yokohamas and the size you have, 235/60/18s. Originally i was going to get the BFGoodrich A/T K02s, 255/55/18s but somebody that has them with the same lift kit i'm putting on said they do rub inside the wheel well when the steering is fully locked to one side. I don't want that worry so I'm now going with the Yoks, just have to decide on size. Bummers if the larger one will rub also. What lift kit are you putting on and do you think that will solve the rubbing issue or will the area where it's rubbing not really be affected by the lift?
My other big issue is a spare! I really want a full-size spare. I'm pretty sure i can take out the foam insert that goes with the temporary spare and put a full-size spare in but i'm assuming that's for the stock full size spare. Does anyone know if a larger tire would fit? Is anyone able to measure the diameter of the space for a spare w/o the foam insert? Also the depth? I am away from my car for a month but want to order some tires ahead of time.
Thanks, V

#33 ·
Hello, the kit I will eventually go with are the Rallitek springs and they give approx. an inch of lift but I'm not doing the springs until Bilstein comes out with B6's for the 2019's. The slight rub I'm expereincing is not a constant things, it seems to happen when i leave a level road, turn right only and go into my driveway which is steep transition but the funny was I never heard it till I added the Weathertech mudflaps and I've checked those and not a rub. The rub I noticed was on the plastic inner fenderwall and if you look at the inner well it;s not smooth, it has raised sections that give it rigidity, it rubbed there about an ich and half rub mark. If it continues I'm simply going to use a heat gun and push that raised area in. However the suspension lift period would take care of it, I'm not going with the LP lift as I don't like the look of the exhaust hanging 2" lower, other than that its as complete of a kit you can get.

#34 ·
So I installed the rear Weathertech mudflaps, again perfect fitment. They took quite a bit more work than the fronts, in fact pay attention to the hardware, there are longer clips for the inner most attachment, it also has its own screw that are different other than that they fit and look amazing. Well worth the money, IMO.

#36 ·
jrharvey, why would you switch from your 235/60r18s? Is there more of an advantage to the wider tire? I was told for sand and mud wider is better but in snow narrower is better.

Also, has anyone tried putting a full-size spare in the spare tire well? Is there any room to spare at all so one of these larger tires could fit? I'm kind of more concerned about having a spare that is the same size as the tires i have on the car.
I know running different sized tires will do damage so i'd just as soon have a spare that can get me to a tire shop (if it can't be repaired on site), without doing to damage my transmission. A tire shop could be a hundred miles away...

#38 · (Edited)
Id really like to see some tests on whether or not wider tires hurt or improve in certain conditions. If you look around you rarely ever see some of the best off road vehicles with skinny tires. Often times they are between the 265 and 285 or greater range. Im new to this off road thing so Im not going to pretend like I know what Im talking about but I do know coming from a street car wider tires provide better traction for road, rain and light snow. I saw a significant advantage of going from 225 to 255 on my VW GTI but thats a street car and not an off road vehicle.

I can say that wieght is definately an issue. Thats why I thought the Geolanders 255/55r18 was a good choice. Its only 34lbs. Im running 235/60r18 hankooks and those are also 34lbs so it wouldnt be a difference in weight. Some users are running K02s 255s and those are 45lbs which is just a bit too heavy in my opinion although they look and propably perform amazing.

I dont think a full size spare of that size is going to fit in the spare wheel well. Id find a spot on the roof rack or something.

#37 ·
Did some tire pressure chalk testing this afternoon, it looks like i have them pretty close at warm pressures. Empty vehicle.

Front - 37PSI
Rears - 35PSI

I think I am going to drop the rear to 34PSI and recheck. The only weakness I have seen on this new forester is the mediocre suspension, Subaru should have done something a it more special to badge this as a sport model, suspension is far too compliant. Replacement struts and springs should take care of that weak area.

#40 · (Edited)
I honestly can't say, I'm sure the heavier tires do take a hit on mileage but with the sizing being off I really can't go by my previous estimations. According to the app Fuelly which I record all my fuel fillups, I filled up on September 16, 2 days after the install and at that time was averaging 8.1L/100 km. Today I topped up my gas and it said I beat my last mileage at 8.0L / 100kms. My overall best has been 7.3L / 100km. So I guess in US that would equate to approx. 30mpg overall, not sure if that is decent or not or if it gets better, I only have 3000kms. This is all city driving, mainly under 60kph.

#45 ·
I just want to mention more with my gas mileage as not to confuse members, I am deliberately driving slower when taking off trying to still achieve good numbers but without a doubt these heavier tires will affect the mileage no matter what. I don;t want others to think there wont be a difference, there has to be. And I do get a quick rub when turning full right with suspension under compression, ever so slight and im aware but nevertherless not 100% rub free, stock.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.