Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I honestly can't say, I'm sure the heavier tires do take a hit on mileage but with the sizing being off I really can't go by my previous estimations. According to the app Fuelly which I record all my fuel fillups, I filled up on September 16, 2 days after the install and at that time was averaging 8.1L/100 km. Today I topped up my gas and it said I beat my last mileage at 8.0L / 100kms. My overall best has been 7.3L / 100km. So I guess in US that would equate to approx. 30mpg overall, not sure if that is decent or not or if it gets better, I only have 3000kms.
For my Subaru it took more of an MPG hit with the roof basket than the tires

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
For my Subaru it took more of an MPG hit with the roof basket than the tires
Good to know, you can definitely feel the heavier tires rolling out but once your going no difference other than the vehicle feels way more stable, in my opinion. Gas mileage was a consideration overall with this purchase but its not my main concern, versatility is my main goal now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I honestly can't say, I'm sure the heavier tires do take a hit on mileage but with the sizing being off I really can't go by my previous estimations. According to the app Fuelly which I record all my fuel fillups, I filled up on September 16, 2 days after the install and at that time was averaging 8.1L/100 km. Today I topped up my gas and it said I beat my last mileage at 8.0L / 100kms. My overall best has been 7.3L / 100km. So I guess in US that would equate to approx. 30mpg overall, not sure if that is decent or not or if it gets better, I only have 3000kms. This is all city driving, mainly under 60kph.
View attachment 524181
Thanks for confirming the gas mileage which seems like not a noticeable difference. 235/60-18 G015 seems like a great choice for those who want some light off-road capability, decent snow traction, rugged look and not sacrificing everyday ride/noise/mileage. I didn’t know you could fit 235/60-18 without lift and I do agree that slightly bigger tire improve the overall look by quite big margin. And 235/60-18 tire is cheaper than 225/55-18 from Tirerack $170 vs. $192, not sure why but it’s all good. Now I have to decide between G015 vs. Vredestein Quatrac Pro...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just an update after getting the tires installed today, I am going out tonight to get some good pics but I'll throw up some mobile snaps after it was done. First impressions, do you remember that moment you went and picked up your new Subaru and it was sitting in the showroom, well seeing my car roll out of the bay, I was floored, the feeling can't be described, it was just SICK! The transformation in my opinion is so worth it, the tires alone have taken any softness away from the car and thrown a ton of testosterone at it, definitely toughened it up. Subaru if you are listening create an offroad trim and add these tires, it's a different vehicle.

Getting into the vehicle it did feel taller, might have been a psychological thing, first impressions driving, very smooth tires. I deliberately drove through the city streets, windows down, no music and you could hear the tires more than stock but within a couple of kms, that kind of went away. More of a rigid feel, and the tires being LT I think are more sensitive to lines, bumps so a little stiff but railway tracks are handled far better over the Falkens. The Falkens are great smooth tires but I prefer the feeling of the road better and these fit the bill.

I'm running 36 psi and I'm going to do a chalk test tomorrow to get the correct tire pressure but they felt nice, handled great, no rubbing that I could tell, will do an inspection. Overall very happy with these tires, love the ruggedness look and feel.

I'll post some quick pics but will add more tomorrow. My next item will be installing a Rallitek spring upgrade kit, I find the factory springs are just to compliant, I don't like bouncing when driving over speed bumps.

View attachment 523671

View attachment 523672
That looks so great! Just picked up my 2019 Sport and am looking for some tires to make it look a little tougher. Thank you for the pictures, posts and updates! Going to look for those weather tech mud flaps as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I just want to mention more with my gas mileage as not to confuse members, I am deliberately driving slower when taking off trying to still achieve good numbers but without a doubt these heavier tires will affect the mileage no matter what. I don;t want others to think there wont be a difference, there has to be. And I do get a quick rub when turning full right with suspension under compression, ever so slight and im aware but nevertherless not 100% rub free, stock.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wonder how the rubbing will be in a gravel "soft-roading" situation? The Geolanders are a great AT tire for out vehicles but I am thinking if folks are getting a rub on the street it might get worse off-road where the roads are not as smooth.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I wonder how the rubbing will be in a gravel "soft-roading" situation? The Geolanders are a great AT tire for out vehicles but I am thinking if folks are getting a rub on the street it might get worse off-road where the roads are not as smooth.
You are probably right, I am going with the Rallitek springs and hopefully a different strut if Bilsteins become available, the stock spring rate is way too soft, even bouncy to some extent.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yeah sorry about that,. It appears that you do have rubbing then.
Don't be sorry just wanted you to see what my findings have been. In Canada we cant get the OEM sizes for either the Geolandar or the Hankooks so had no choice. But I am getting the Rallitek springs so it should take care of the light rubbing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Don't be sorry just wanted you to see what my findings have been. In Canada we cant get the OEM sizes for either the Geolandar or the Hankooks so had no choice. But I am getting the Rallitek springs so it should take care of the light rubbing.
I see. So let me ask you this. If you could get the OEM sizes, would you hVe gotten those over the wider tires?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I see. So let me ask you this. If you could get the OEM sizes, would you hVe gotten those over the wider tires?
Probably not, I like the look of the bigger tires overall, I do feel it suits the vehicle more, now I do wish we could re-calibrate the speedometer because it is off 3-4 km/h.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So my dilemma is going to be the same... I like the look of the wider profile tires... For instance my BMW X5 has 275/40/20 on the fronts and 315/35/20 in the rears... as you can probably imagine, the rears are super wide like corvette wide and it gives the SUV a mean aggressive look from the rear. Going back to the Forester, I'm wondering though, the only time it would rub is when you are probably driving less than 5 mph to be able to lock the wheels side to side so at that speed there should be minimal damage? Also how often would you lock your wheels in order rub? day to day driving I never do with my current cars. I guess if I was on the trail and I would need to maneuver then I can see locking my steering wheels left and right.

I don't want to lift my forester any higher than it is because I don't want to compromise the handling or the eyesight safety features but I want the wider profile tires ….

41 - 56 of 56 Posts