Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just announced today... looks like some people are going to get a shiny new power rear gate control module.

This isn't a safety recall, it's a recall "in the interest of customer satisfaction"

Subaru will be contacting you if you are affected (letter in the mail)... If your Forester is within the production date range (check the tag on the inside of the door, it should have the month and year the car was manufactured), the best way to see if yours falls under the product campaign, and then to see if you can get on the list to have this done earlier is to call subaru and have them check the VIN. The online recall lookup databases won't be up to date for a while.

Subarunet Announcement

To: All Subaru Retailers
Date: January 5, 2021

New Subaru Service Program Campaign:

WRJ20 – Power Rear Gate ECU Replacement

In the interest of customer satisfaction, Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is initiating a service program to replace the power rear gate electronic control unit (ECU) in certain 2019 model year Forester vehicles.

REASON FOR THIS SERVICE PROGRAM
The power rear gate on the vehicles included in this service program may not function properly.
Affected Vehicles

The number of U.S. vehicles included in this service campaign is 58,467.

Not all vehicles listed below are included in this recall. Coverage for all affected vehicles must be confirmed by using the Vehicle Coverage Inquiry function on subarunet.com. This information is now available.

Model Year: 2019 Carline: Forester Production date range: July 4, 2018 – April 11, 2019

Description of the Repair
Subaru retailers will replace the power rear gate electronic control unit (ECU) in the affected vehicles at no charge to the customers.

Retailer Responsibility
Any vehicles listed in any recall or campaign that are in retailer stock must be:
• Immediately identified
• Tagged or otherwise marked to prevent their delivery or use prior to repair
• Repaired in accordance with the repair procedures outlined in the Bulletin

Retailers are to promptly perform the applicable service procedures, to correct all affected vehicles in their inventory (new, used, demo & SSLP). Additionally, whenever a vehicle subject to this service campaign is taken into inventory or in for service, necessary steps should be taken to ensure the repair has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

Owner Notification
Owner notification letters will be mailed in January 2021. Retailers will be notified when owner notification begins.

Service and Claim Instructions

Please refer to the WRJ-20 Service Program Bulletin on STIS for detailed information.

I know from prior Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) that the new power rear gate control modules that were put into production with VIN LH477261 address the following concerns:

These changes in the module include:
  • limited number of customer concerns regarding the rear gate not opening when operating the gate mounted switch, dashboard switch, or the rear gate button on the key fob.
  • In addition to ensuring proper PRG system operation, the new logic also optimizes the PRG communication function. The change will prevent excessive dark draw which may over time, cause a low battery condition.
Interesting that this product campaign currently only includes the 2019 foresters, those earlier TSBs also include certain models of the Ascent. (maybe they'll get included later, who knows).

Sorry, I don't have a copy of the WRJ-20R Service Campaign Bulletin which would have better details. It was released on Jan 05, 2021 (as WRJ-20) and updated today Jan 06, 2021 (now WRJ-20R) (EDIT: WRJ-20R is now attached)

Change History:

Feb 13, 2021 - attached WRJ-20 product campaign bulletin, attached copy of recall letter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Sport
11 Posts
I went in for my 24K service and tech told me that there was recall for my 2019 Forester Sport. Explained all the details about the recall and it was for Power lift gate ECU. I had few occasions where the lift gate did not open and made beeping sound. Had to do power lift gate reset few times every time it happened (6-7 times in 2 years) Service was done in 1/18/2021

·
Registered
2019 Forester
15 Posts
About time.

This will be my 2nd replacement for this [email protected]#$% module. The first was in April 2019. That solved the "gate won't go down" problem but since then one person or another has left it open overnight a few times.

All of this stuff should be capable of being updated via network. Or at least by USB stick. Having to drag your vehicle into the shop and replacing an entire hunk of hardware is something out of the '80s. '90s at best.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Sport
11 Posts
Thanks for posting @Move Zig. I'll watch for the letter.

Good decision by Subaru.
I didn't know about this recall and did not even get any letters from Subaru. Just went in for my 24k service and tech just told me that there was a recall. I'm guessing you can ask your dealer about the recall and they'll replace your ECU.

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Dynamic
112 Posts
Nice! I assume similar recalls would be available in other markets for the same date of manufacturing? Anyone outside of USA seen/heard of a similar recall? I've had the rear gate not opening once or twice, gotta check the mfg date on mine, could be within the range.

Enviado desde mi motorola one action mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,063 Posts
This recall is noted as an open recall in my MySubaru app. I’ve not received a letter, but will contact service tomorrow.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,063 Posts
Just had the recall done. I waited a little over an hour. When I got home I measured the dark (parasitic) current. The continuous hatch-open 4 amp current is no longer an issue. Very pleased that Subaru finally made this right.

Below are the new amp readings (all interior lights off):
35 milliamps with the hatch closed.
3.3 amps after opening the hatch.
125 milliamps after waiting about 20 minutes with the hatch open.

20 minutes is the time when the "battery drainage prevention function" kicks in. The dashboard graphic showing an open door/hatch remains on until around 20 minutes as well. Previously, it never went out.

On the negative side - the nut for the battery negative cable was WAY over-tightned. I had to exercise great care loosening it to measure dark current so as not to crack the sensor.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
101 Posts
I saw the notification on my dash this morning while running an errand, and another on the MySubaru app. We'll see how it goes, I have an appt this week to bring it in.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring Continuously Variable
17 Posts
I just received a recall notice for replacement of the rear gate electronic control unit. The notice doesn't provide a lot of detail but I assume this is related to the problem of occasionally being unable to remotely open and close the rear gate, which has happened to me a few times. The notice says that the recall applies to "certain" 2019 Forester models. The Service Program number is WRJ-20.

·
Premium Member
2019 Sport w/ Opt 24 pkg CVT
39 Posts
I'm so glad to hear about this and got the notification on my Forester's screen yesterday. The rear liftgate on mine has been a problem many many times and was basically possessed. I'll be happy if this fixes it once and for all!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring Continuously Variable
17 Posts
I'm so glad to hear about this and got the notification on my Forester's screen yesterday. The rear liftgate on mine has been a problem many many times and was basically possessed. I'll be happy if this fixes it once and for all!

View attachment 547688
It's been very annoying. In the past I was able to work around it by manually opening the rear gate and then remotely closing it, but the last time it happened I couldn't open it all. Then an hour or so later it started to work again. I'll be happy to get it fixed. It's really the only problem I have had with my Forester.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
found a copy of the WRJ-20R campaign bulletin. Doesn't tell us much beyond what we already know. Attached it, and a copy of the recall letter to the first post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need to schedule this repair. For those who have had it done already, roughly how long will it take? Do I need to arrange a loaner, or is it something that is done in a couple of hours or less?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have not personally had this done. The labor listed is half an hour for replacement. Checking in, getting your forester in queue, the dealer performing any other checks and getting the car back to you, possibly a couple of hours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have not personally had this done. The labor listed is half an hour for replacement. Checking in, getting your forester in queue, the dealer performing any other checks and getting the car back to you, possibly a couple of hours.
Thanks so much for the info. My dealership is really good about sticking to appointment times, so fingers crossed it can be done in less than a couple of hours.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts