Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sport
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I got 4x7" lamps that I want to keep on top of my roof rack.
I wired them to see how they looked, my only issue is I have no idea where I should wire them through.
Would trying to lift that molding beneath the roof rails reveal a hole down the side pillar into the engine bay?
Or would making a hole lead to inside the pillar and down to the engine bay?

Please help.

·
Administrator
13,864 Posts
@fozflowa I would probably go up via the B pillar; pop out where the door wiring exits for the rear door and gaffa it to the outside of the B pillar between the doors with color matching tape which I did on my Mitsubishi Triton ute for a cell antenna on the roof basket. I did have white tape there originally but it didn't stick very well so changed it to black - even so I think it's quite subtle and no holes drilled!

·
Registered
2019 Sport
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW...good luck with that and not having to drill a hole in your roof...install a grommet and then weather seal it.
my friend who had an older model gave me an idea of how he had a light bar in his roof. The weather seal inner door, just pop it open and can tuck the harness inside there and that actually leads to the engine bay. Only drawback of course is part of the harness will be showing into the door from the roof. Better than drilling a hole? I dunno... If I need to drill a hole I rather just take it to a mechanic to deal with that. The only way I'd drill a hole is if I could lift that one molding beneath the roof rail the arrow in my picture is pointing to and if it leads to the inside of the A pillar and down to the engine bay. Which I guess is what I want to find out.

@fozflowa I would probably go up via the B pillar; pop out where the door wiring exits for the rear door and gaffa it to the outside of the B pillar between the doors with color matching tape which I did on my Mitsubishi Triton ute for a cell antenna on the roof basket. I did have white tape there originally but it didn't stick very well so changed it to black - even so I think it's quite subtle and no holes drilled!

View attachment 532131
View attachment 532132
beautiful rig! Yeah that's what I think my friend suggested. So once in between the door you run it through the pillar or through inside weather seal?

·
Administrator
13,864 Posts
@fozflowa Thanks; it's my long distance outback touring wagon (as you can tell by the red dust in the pic below).

I run it down the outside of the pillar in-between the doors then in through the grommet which carries the wiring for the rear door; down inside the B pillar to the bottom where wiring exits; then runs forward in the door sill and up behind the dash. From there you could run it into the engine bay. You will need to remove a few trim panels of course.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
562 Posts
Here's a couple options should you prefer to go through the roof.

Blue Sea Systems sells "cable clams". Waterproof cable feed throughs for boats.
Cable Clams - Blue Sea Systems

Solar array cable feed throughs are available from a variety of vendors. The bulkhead fittings are sized for PV cables, but you can find them for other cable sizes. I've used these successfully.
Solar Double Cable Entry Gland

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
237 Posts
I’m a fleet manager and we have hundreds of roof holes, we have not had a single problem since switching to Blue Sea products. They work for boats, and they work for firetrucks - you can’t find anything wetter...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also thought about adding LED light to my rooftop rack, but decided not to due to wiring challenges. Instead I got remote controlled LED search light. It has strong magnet so it can be attached to the roof, and wire needs to be routed through the sunroof. Let's face it. The rooftop lighting will be only used during offroading, so this setup works perfectly for me. And it's only about $100 from Amazon and super bright. Best of all, you can control on/off and 3-axis movement using remote.

·
Registered
2019 Sport
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey guys, so it is indeed a challenge and I think at this point it's probably better left to someone that is more of a pro than I am. Mostly due to the wiring. I'm a total noob when it comes to electronic connections etc, so one thing that would definitely help is wire all 4 lamps into 1 switch/wire. I spoke to a local shop and the guy said he could do the job. I think he'll probably ditch the harness and wire it all together into 1 wire that can be tucked next to the windshield and trimming down the A pillar into the engine bay. He said he can also get the switch into the cabin through the firewall which I couldn't even find access. Job suppose to get done tomorrow. I'll update with the outcome. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
16 Posts
Don’t know about the newer cars(mine is a lowly 03). I pulled the headliner down, inspected everything and drilled a hole next to the moonroof, wrapped the wires in loom, covered that with marine glue lined shrink tube and siliconed it all up. Runs down to the a pillar and to the firewall where all my wires run from the cabin into the engine bay with a specialty grommet. No leaks so far(3 years running) though I do need to update the silicone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,864 Posts
^ a cable gland would've be simpler and neater. ;) I've used one to bring my roof mounted solar panels cable in through the canopy roof on my ute. Provides an excellent seal and well-tested considering all the outback driving I've undertaken.

·
Registered
2019 Sport
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, I got it solved. All 4 lamps wired into 1 that is tucked between the windshield and the A pillar.
Happy with it, looks clean and no holes drilled.
Can't wait to test these lights out. 2 settings parking and driving.

Pics below of the job done. Sorry my car is pretty dirty right now.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
42 Posts
Wow, nice and neat. Great job!

Where's that gap go where you have the cable run? Does the cable stay outside the entire time and pop out down at the base of windshield? Or does it run down the inside of the door and in through the grommet on the door?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
399 Posts
On my 2014 Foz, I added a light bar to the back of my roof-top basket. I ran the wire along the roof-rack rail and then into the rear hatch. Then I make a small slit in the rubber that surrounds the wires for the rear wiper and lights and then ran the wire above the headliner and down the rear quarter panel to where the rear 12-v socket (cigarette lighter and spliced it in there. Then wrapped a bit of black tape around the rubber "tube" and done...

You need a long wiring kit to get along the length of the roof, but it's cleaner and easier than cutting a hole in the roof or other metal body panels.

I'm planning on adding some additional lights at the front of the basket and will just zip-tie the wire (in that corrugated wire wrap stuff) along the basket to the same point.

I do know that some have tucked the wiring into the channel between the windshield and the a-pillar, but I've not tried that... you'd probably have to use some epoxy to seal it into that channel.

·
Registered
2019 Sport
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, nice and neat. Great job!

Where's that gap go where you have the cable run? Does the cable stay outside the entire time and pop out down at the base of windshield? Or does it run down the inside of the door and in through the grommet on the door?
outside, you can see in the 2nd picture it runs down, tucked between the windshield and the A Pillar and goes under that weather plastic molding thing almost at the base of the windshield.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts