Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019's windshield got smashed by a rock on the freeway the other day. Put in an order for an OEM replacement and was notified today that it won't come in till end March or later! Unacceptable. How could Subaru not have such a critical and frequently broken part such as a windshield in stock? Any recourse? Any ideas? Thank you very much.

·
Registered
17 Forester XT
37 Posts
Nothing new. The previous generation had inventory issues during the entire production cycle. Its seems Subaru is still adjusting their supply channels to their ever increasing sales.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
833 Posts
The reason for the delay is that the OEM acoustic glass windshields are out-of-stock and back-ordered because so many are breaking! :surprise:

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,607 Posts
I remember the guys saying they weren’t defective and that I was following too close

So much dumb

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
530 Posts
If you think Subaru manufactures the glass for your vehicle, you're sorely mistaken. This comes from a supplier and there can be any number of issues that caused this, either by the fault of the supplier, or poor engineering by Subaru.

Pretty hard to point fingers from the customer's side of this issue, given that we have zero insight.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium ES CVT (Sold)
137 Posts
While Subaru does not manufacture the glass, they are fully responsible for any defects. It is their job to ensure that the supplier provides adequate glass. Which they have completely failed to do. They are fully aware of the defect in the 2017-18, yet they did absolutely nothing to address the issue on a full vehicle redesign, let alone fix the problem on the existing vehicles.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,607 Posts
If you think Subaru manufactures the glass for your vehicle, you're sorely mistaken. This comes from a supplier and there can be any number of issues that caused this, either by the fault of the supplier, or poor engineering by Subaru.

Pretty hard to point fingers from the customer's side of this issue, given that we have zero insight.

There is a Subaru logo on the glass. They are responsible for their product. In addition, if the 19's are a problem like the 17's/18's, then that is an even bigger issue, as they were aware of the problem prior.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
530 Posts
While Subaru does not manufacture the glass, they are fully responsible for any defects. It is their job to ensure that the supplier provides adequate glass. Which they have completely failed to do. They are fully aware of the defect in the 2017-18, yet they did absolutely nothing to address the issue on a full vehicle redesign, let alone fix the problem on the existing vehicles.
I work in the automotive industry for a vehicle manufacturer. Our Warranty Department is located on the other side of my cubicle wall. I author the owner's manuals, as well as service bulletins and federal recalls. I work closely with our engineers to correct field issues as we learn about them. To address some of what you said:

Subaru is responsible for making the customer whole in the event of a defect, but that does NOT mean they are responsible for "ensuring that the supplier provides adequate glass..." There aren't Subaru inspectors at the glass plant watching each windshield come off the line. There are spot checks, but every part does not get inspected by Subaru (but the supplier might). Completely failed to do? They're replacing windshields that failed, that's all they're required to do by law.

As far as the carryover of the defect from '17-18 to '19, you do understand that these are two different vehicles. They do not share windshield glass part numbers. They may even use different glass suppliers for each generation. Besides that, once the 2014 forester was released, the work began on the 2019, so they may have been working on the 2019 glass before the '17s were even released.

There is a Subaru logo on the glass. They are responsible for their product. In addition, if the 19's are a problem like the 17's/18's, then that is an even bigger issue, as they were aware of the problem prior.
While they're responsible for their product, just because their logo is on the windshield doesn't mean they manufactured it. We require suppliers mold/cast/print our logos and part numbers on our own proprietary parts, we basically don't manufacture anything, we assemble parts from different suppliers.

Again, '17-18 and 2019 are two different animals. As stated above, they were probably well into the design of the 2019 before the new glass was OK'd for production on the '17s. By then the supply lines were running and it would be cost prohibitive to scrap tens of thousands of windshields for a redesign, when only a fraction of the total population are seeing failures.

Is this a customer dissatisfier? Absolutely! Am I defending Subaru or SoA? NO! But it's really easy to make angry statements and say "They should have known! They should have done better!" when you don't really understand how the automotive manufacturing process works. I do have some empathy for them, but if it was my car I would be livid about the backorder.

·
Registered
14 Forester Cvt
26 Posts
cracked windshield

1st day my wife drove her '19 touring, she had a windshield crack from a little rock while on the interstate.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,607 Posts
Again, '17-18 and 2019 are two different animals. As stated above, they were probably well into the design of the 2019 before the new glass was OK'd for production on the '17s. By then the supply lines were running and it would be cost prohibitive to scrap tens of thousands of windshields for a redesign, when only a fraction of the total population are seeing failures.

Is this a customer dissatisfier? Absolutely! Am I defending Subaru or SoA? NO! But it's really easy to make angry statements and say "They should have known! They should have done better!" when you don't really understand how the automotive manufacturing process works. I do have some empathy for them, but if it was my car I would be livid about the backorder.

I'm really not livid about it. It's annoying is all. It changes the way I drive in winter especially. Subaru Canada has acknowledged the issue. It's just important for people to know they are complete garbage...and that if they live in harsh environments, that aftermarket should be highly considered.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
530 Posts
I find it interesting that you work for a different automotive manufacture, yet you drive a Subaru.... I wonder how many others do the same?
Basically nobody here drives our products. It's not because the product is bad, there are other hurdles to ownership...

I'm really not livid about it. It's annoying is all. It changes the way I drive in winter especially. Subaru Canada has acknowledged the issue. It's just important for people to know they are complete garbage...and that if they live in harsh environments, that aftermarket should be highly considered.
Honestly, I doubt aftermarket will be any better. Most aftermarket parts companies try to make money by undercutting the OEM's part price. They do this by cutting corners where they can, which sometimes means a lower quality part that still meets design requirements.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,607 Posts
From a durability for chips/cracks perspective, aftermarket will be better and even the 2 Subaru dealerships here have said so...not that I needed them to.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento
43 Posts
Not sure if an aftermarket windshield will work? I am under the impression that the glass used on the Forester's with "Eyesight" are built thinner to accommodate the cameras in the "Eyesight" safety system. If glass is too thick it creates false images to the camera system and prevents proper calibration. This is bad because it means that all windshields must come through the Subaru system and it also makes them more susceptible to nicks,cracks etc. When a windshield is replaced on the Forester with "Eyesight" it requires a complete re calibration of the system. It is very costly and could run in the $1,000 - $1,500 range.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,607 Posts
The calibration doesn’t cost anything...for me at least. And lots of people here are running aftermarket on their xts without issue I’ve heard.

There are other brands where the windshield is $7,000+ and they are electing to run aftermarket without issues on theirs as well.

·
Registered
2018 forester tour 2.0XT turbo
13 Posts
Same here, first day out with my 18, ended up with a crack in windshield, does Subaru use some kind of cheap glass, ever little stone that hits windshield is making a chip. So annoyed!!

1 - 20 of 129 Posts