Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased oem and installed myself. The deflectors came with 12 little pieces of two sided tape. The instruction set said as a last step to the install, open the door and remove the weather strip, then attach these little sealers to the inside of the door.
I can see no reason to do this, as all the weatherstripping is in place and the deflectors don't affect the weatherstripping at all.
Can anyone tell me why this step is necessary ?
Those tape pieces weren't with the 2016 kit.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
25 Posts
New member/owner here, just installed a full OEM set purchased from the superstore. All four pieces had tape strips on the perimeter and 2 brackets that clipped into the the weatherstripping channel. I agree, don't know why you would need tape inside it. If the perimeter tape is worth its salt and applied properly it should hold. My brackets are pretty ugly and don't see much use for them either.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a set sitting in my garage as it is simply too cold and the car is too dirty (salt) to even consider install. I did install a set on my '16 Legacy when the car was new. The kit came with clips and tape. I cleaned the attachment area first with windex and then with rubbing alcohol to insure an oil free surface. I don't know why you would not install the tape as the whole process for all 4 windows took about 20 min to do.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
42 Posts
Has anyone located any "In-Channel" window deflectors for their 2019 Forester? i.e. no tape, adhesive, or clips they just slot into the channel. I had a set of EGR's for my truck that I traded in and loved them (https://www.autoanything.com/deflectors/egr-in-channel-window-visors) but they aren't offered for the 19 Forester. All the deflectors I find seem to use tape or those weird clip brackets.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
50 Posts
Has anyone located any "In-Channel" window deflectors for their 2019 Forester? i.e. no tape, adhesive, or clips they just slot into the channel. I had a set of EGR's for my truck that I traded in and loved them (https://www.autoanything.com/deflectors/egr-in-channel-window-visors) but they aren't offered for the 19 Forester. All the deflectors I find seem to use tape or those weird clip brackets.
Weather tech does not have them yet for the 2019. Waiting for their version. They lasted a long time on my outback without tape.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
576 Posts
Weather tech does not have them yet for the 2019. Waiting for their version. They lasted a long time on my outback without tape.
I had the WeatherTech in-channel ones in another vehicle a couple years ago. The front worked well. But the rears were terrible and wouldn't stay in the channel for very long due to poor double-sided tape. Eventually had to use weather strip sealent to get them to stay in place. I actually like the Subaru stick on ones way better...they're more secure and easy to isntall.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
2 Posts
I called WeatherTech and they said maybe January 2020. I have a '19 Limited (Chrome on top of the doors) and I too hate the look of the ones that mount outside.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport
27 Posts
Not sure what those little things are for. I followed the instructions during the install of the OEM deflectors and jammed them into those little channels after pulling back the weather strip. Not sure what they are supposed to do, but I put them in there and no problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New member/owner here, just installed a full OEM set purchased from the superstore. All four pieces had tape strips on the perimeter and 2 brackets that clipped into the the weatherstripping channel. I agree, don't know why you would need tape inside it. If the perimeter tape is worth its salt and applied properly it should hold. My brackets are pretty ugly and don't see much use for them either.
Sorry im very late to the discussion..i just got the in-channel visor for windows (subaru store brand)...it had zero instructions/directions and each visor has 2 clips as well as 3m tape,etc...do you have to remove the weather stripping then clip into something...then tape and reapply the weather strip? I see no reason for the additional pcs unless for filler stripping or between the 2 butt-ends. There is a pdf for installation that shows 5 clips and removing weather stripping..but I'm thinking you maybe just use the 2 clips to secure it but w/o removing any strip or going that far into the channel itself. Is for 2020 forrester. Also have the bugshield and came with no paperwork. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,929 Posts
For the bug shield/hood protector instructions, swing on over to the latest thread about the "Bug and Rock" protector....one of the nice members posted the link to the downloadable PDF for the install instructions...I printed my set out so I can have them at hand when I do the install on a warmer, less blustery day.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you..did you do the window visors too? I just learned that the ones that have 2 pre-installed clips basically go into the same part of the door/window frame..and you apparently remove the weather strip temporarily..then insert the clip up to the stopping point, then apply with tape..then reinstall the weather strip. That sound right to ya? ( if you did them). I found directions where it shows 5 clips to put on the visors, but all 4 of mine have 2 clips already in place..so it seems to b common sense i think..thanks in advance.
Gavin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts