Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2019 Sport last week. First time Subaru owner. Noticed a lot of wind noise (louder than any vehicle I've owned) this afternoon while on the freeway going 60 MPH with my music off. Sounds like it might be coming from the moon roof? I don't know if this is normal but I've owned similar sized vehicles with moon roofs and I've never heard wind noise this loud. Is this common on Subarus? Anyone with a 2019 forester sport with the same issue?

·
Administrator
15,347 Posts
G'day & Welcome @Touchaivang

It really depends what you've eaten recently; onions does it for me :grin2:

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.

Not completing your Public Profile could result in future threads you create being
until your Public Profile is updated!

·
Registered
2006 2.5 X Forester L. L.
4 Posts
I had a 2005 Dodge magnum with moon roof and roof rack. Had horrible wind noise from the moon roof area. One day when washing it, I noticed the front bow for the roof rack was on backwards.. I turned it the other way, and the noise disappeared. Who knew they were aerodynamically designed!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,918 Posts
Have you tried opening and closing the moonroof?
Does it make a difference?
I would check that you have a good seal on the moonroof glass... even a tiny opening for the wind can cause a howl.

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
Not really. I did notice that at, oh, a lot of miles per hour in major gusty sidewinds that it was some noisier and the hood danced a bit. Try opening and closing all of the windows a couple of times, too. I seem to recall a discussion of the window seals needing to be set in some someplace.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you have the cross bars on?

The Subaru 'aero' bars have an asymmetrical shape. You'll notice it when you look at the side profile. Make sure the skinny side is facing the front of the car. My '19 had one put on backwards, but it is easy to flip. Also, the sun roof is huge. It will help noise if you move the front cross bar so it sits behind the end of the sun roof opening.... Or take the bars off completely until needed.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
6 Posts
I've had issues with wind noises, but it was on a drive back with super crazy gusty wind. To get a sense of how crazy the wind was, I passed about 3 or 4 big rigs tipped over in what should be a 5 hour drive. I also noticed in the wind, it felt like the hood was bobbling like crazy, like it wasn't latched on. I checked, it was latched on... maybe just too thin a piece?

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
59 Posts
I agree. I have 2020 Sport. I find there to be lots of road, wind and engine noise as well as being very rough choppy going over small to medium road imperfections.

For $31k you’d think you’d have a more refined drive

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,967 Posts
no offense, but $31K is not a lot of money these days when it comes to cars.

You're driving a small SUV - it's not a luxury sedan. So you have a stiffer suspension (helps with handling on and off road) and you have the aerodynamics of a brick. Pushing that brick through the air at 60 MPH (or more) creates noise. You have a HUGE sunroof - more noise from a big hole in the roof. You've got roof-rails - more noise.

If you want library hush quiet, buy a luxury model. $31K is middle of the road (at best) in the realm of buying cars now a days... Hell, look at pick up trucks that have some that bump up against triple-digit price points very quickly.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
59 Posts
I just noticed my crossbars. I think they are reversed. This could be adding to the wind noise

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I agree. I have 2020 Sport. I find there to be lots of road, wind and engine noise as well as being very rough choppy going over small to medium road imperfections.

For $31k you’d think you’d have a more refined drive
Funny..... I find my wife's 2020 Premium to be rather quiet and the ride quite smooth for this kind of vehicle. .....but a lot of that is going to be subjective based on your own expectations, experiences, comparisons, etc.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,967 Posts
I just noticed my crossbars. I think they are reversed. This could be adding to the wind noise
Yep, that could. If they're the factory bars, they're aerodynamically profiled with a flat tear-drop type shape. But even having them on the right way - you're still going to get noise. The noise comes from the air splitting and getting disturbed as it goes over/around a shape - whether tear-drop shaped, box shaped or whatever.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yep, that could. If they're the factory bars, they're aerodynamically profiled with a flat tear-drop type shape. But even having them on the right way - you're still going to get noise. The noise comes from the air splitting and getting disturbed as it goes over/around a shape - whether tear-drop shaped, box shaped or whatever.
Yeah, he may even just want to remove them for a while and see how much of a difference that makes before reinstalling them (properly obviously). .....or just leave them off for good / until needed.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
59 Posts
Removed them. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Will see if this helps. I’m Sure it doesn’t help living in Reno which is more often then not very windy and gusty.

My previous car was an Audi Q5 with acoustic glass. I’m sure this didn’t help either. But $50k for Audi with acoustic glass vs forester premium for $27,500. Hmmmm. I think I’ll deal with a little extra noise

🤪

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,967 Posts
One other thing about the cross bars - they MAY be different widths for the front vs the rear. While the rails MAY look straight, there is probably a small angling from front to rear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts