Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked in my garage, the vehicle recognizes both of my router bands and has the correct names. ( My Ipad will boot up and work with either band when standing at the most remote point in the garage ). But when I attempt to connect with either band, 1) it does not present a screen asking for the PW, and 2) it will not connect, even if I go back and start from scratch using the add a new connection button, which then provides a cue for entering a PW. I do have the latest basic software release in the vehicle.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response jmw15. It looks like they certainly planned to do it-why else put all the software partially in place. Anyone know the wi-fi status on other 2019 Subaru models?

·
Registered
228 Posts
WiFi works on our Touring, delivered Nov 2018. Still has same software that it was delivered with. The WiFi connects just fine with my home WiFi and I've even used it to update the Maps.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Very odd. You are the first to report a successful connection. I will have to try again. Mine were delivered in March and April.
I used the usb to install my map and radio updates.
Edit: My car connects to the WiFi, but goes nowhere. The latest software is 18.38.50.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is the same version in my week old Touring and though my car recognizes both frequencies coming from the router, it will not connect.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I'm curious to know the wi-fi module being used in the vehicle. could it be that the wi-fi not connecting is because the wi-fi module only connects to one band like 2.4 or 5 GHz only and the signal one is trying to connect to on another band.

TS out

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
WiFi works on our Touring, delivered Nov 2018. Still has same software that it was delivered with. The WiFi connects just fine with my home WiFi and I've even used it to update the Maps.
The WiFi on my 2019 Touring also worked on the first try. I activated it for the one month trial period, but didn't continue with it as I saw no benefit over the digital plan for my iPhone. I'll reconsider if I find myself with frequent passengers or making some long road trips.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The WiFi on my 2019 Touring also worked on the first try. I activated it for the one month trial period, but didn't continue with it as I saw no benefit over the digital plan for my iPhone. I'll reconsider if I find myself with frequent passengers or making some long road trips.
Different topic. You're talking about the WiFi hotspot. Something I've never used. I believe this thread is about connecting to your home WiFi.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It's my understanding the head unit software update using WiFi isn't enabled yet. But what does work using WiFi is the map region updates as I've done it. Also attached are pictures of mine connected to my home WiFi. My home WiFi SSID name is called WiFi for both 2.5 and 5ghz so I can't tell you which one it's connecting to.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm curious to know the wi-fi module being used in the vehicle. could it be that the wi-fi not connecting is because the wi-fi module only connects to one band like 2.4 or 5 GHz only and the signal one is trying to connect to on another band.

TS out
Not sure about other ISPs (Internet Service Providers) but my Spectrum internet separates 2.4 and 5 GHz. My Forester can see both wifi networks and I just pick which one I want to connect it to. It connected to both and both showed no updates which is because Subaru hasn't turned on wifi updates (at least that's what I've heard).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
justjeepin
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing