Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring AWD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a 2019 Forester Touring there doesn’t seem to be a good place to put an iPhone when plugged into what appear to be the only USB outlets for Apple CarPlay power. As anyone found an alternative?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
627 Posts
This is one thing keeping me from going with the new Forester. I'm not a fan of the USB plugs in the forward cubby hole. I like them hidden in the center arm rest area. But it seems putting the USBs front and center is the trend as other manufactures are doing it as well as other Subaru vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This was suggested on another thread and it's been working great. Attach the suction cup to the inside vertical wall of the forward console cubby on driver's side. Let the iPhone bracket rest on top of the console's raised drivers side lip.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BQZM6XS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
2019 Forester
112 Posts
I found a vent magnet clip I use on the vent next to radio. For me works fine short cable keeps it neat. Some people will complain blocks AC from vent but I have t had an issue.

·
Registered
2019 Foz Limited
19 Posts
I keep it in the cubby hole turned sideways, control it on the screen. I have a very short usb-lightning cord to plug it in.
Same with my iPhone X. But some of the large format phones (iPhone Xs Max for instance) probably won't fit that way.

I use a 12" Anker Powerline II cable that allows me to twist the phone in without any issue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This serves its purpose considering the poor design of the interior.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Holder-iPhone-Samsung-Smartphone/dp/B076B5L4H6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1CNQZUI432HSG&keywords=cd+phone+mount&qid=1557055756&s=gateway&sprefix=cd+phone%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-4[/ame]

·
Registered
39 Posts
following the advice on another thread here, I got this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WQHN3D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nf7YCb3CNTYJ8

It works okay but I’m worried that it is wedged pretty tightly into the gap and is rubbing both the center and the seat every time my wife and I switch and readjust the seats.

I purchased the same item and it is pretty tight in my 2018 Forester 2.0XT. I too am afraid its rubbing but since I drive the car 99% of the time I'm hoping it will be okay.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
653 Posts
I really like to keep my iphone attached to the windshield. I attached a 10 foot cable to teh top USB port, ran it through the hole where the blue LED light is located in the cubby and then routed teh cable under dash, up driver A pillar across roof under headliner and out the center through the plastic wire cover used for the mirror wiring. I locate the suction cup holder just left of the mirror. It does not affect Eyesight.

You can do this with a 6 foot cable to the center console area as well. This is very clean and assures that your phone is connected to car play while locating it in a place that fits your phone.

I have some photos and details on my modz page here. Page 1
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/my-2019-subaru-forester-sport-let-modz-begin-792005/

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring AWD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys-- after trying a few of your great suggestions (gotta love Amazon Prime!), I went with an iOtti vent clip and a black cable and it holds it without rattling or being in the way of anything, very neat display without any alterations to the car. Still allows for full use of the passenger vent. I've used iOtti for several generations in my Honda Element and loved the quality. I may get a shorter cable (this is a 3-ft MFI Anker but I already had it). I'll attach a few pics. Thanks again for ALL the awesome ideas and help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
13 Posts
Hey guys, awaiting arrival of a Subaru Forrester sport to the dealership that we plan on purchasing later this month. Been following this and a couple other threads regarding placement of the iPhone for use with Apple CarPlay. What is the actual measurement of the front dashboard cubbyhole? In reading, it sounds like the iPhone ( iPhone eight) will not fit completely in the cubbyhole. Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
251 Posts
Hey guys, awaiting arrival of a Subaru Forrester sport to the dealership that we plan on purchasing later this month. Been following this and a couple other threads regarding placement of the iPhone for use with Apple CarPlay. What is the actual measurement of the front dashboard cubbyhole? In reading, it sounds like the iPhone ( iPhone eight) will not fit completely in the cubbyhole. Is that correct?
I don't have the tools to do a precise measurement, but the cubby is approximately 6 x 3.5 x 4 inches (WxHxD).

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,299 Posts
Not a 2019, but in my 2015 with an aftermarket Android Auto head unit, I started out stashing my phone in the cubby (which is where the USB cables from the back of the unit emerge).

I was having occasional GPS connection issues, and realized that I might need to get the phone up in the clear, so I added a vent mount like SubieGirl19's (I'm also a big fan of iOttie). Cause, effect, or coincidence, I've had no problems since.

So if you're having issues with AA or Carplay and your phone is down in the cubby, try getting it up higher or at least not buried under the dash down behind the firewall.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts