Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Package 15
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I recently invested in a foam cannon and I'm using the Griot's Garage "Foaming Surface Prep" and "Poly Gloss" afterwards. Really satisfied with the results. When the car is especially dirty, I'll do a contact wash with Griot's Brilliant Finish car wash between the two foaming steps.

My question is when is the best time to apply the wax in this whole thing? Ideally I'm looking to apply wax twice a year, getting about 6 months of coverage between the two applications. Lately I've been using Meguiar's NXT 2.0 Tech Wax with good results, and this is the first time I'm applying it to my new Forester.

I'm thinking I'll just skip the Poly Gloss one day and do the Tech Wax immediately after the contact wash. Hopefully I won't have to clay it, but I do have Griot's Synthetic Clay if needed for stubborn areas. I'm thinking the wax won't cling as well if I do it after the Poly Gloss.

Thanks

Links:

Griot's Foaming Surface Wash Product Page
Griot's Foaming Poly Gloss Product Page
Griot's Foaming Surface Prep Product Page

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
469 Posts
Not sure what Poly Gloss is, sounds like a spray on thing. And washing doesn’t replace iron removal or clay bar. Twice a year mine get a shot of IronX to remove the iron particle contaminates, followed by a clay bar treatment, followed by a coat of Jescar PowerLock+ and that gets followed by a coat of Collinite 845. That will last me the next 6 months. Except during the summer when I need some car time, at least my new one will get a couple more coats of the Collinite

·
Registered
24 Posts
You need to clay before wax as it removes all the pollutants that settle in in between time. The wax does a better job with a smooth clean surface

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
What is the rough cost do something like this on a bi-annual basis. I need to get better at maintaining this aspect of my 2018 XT.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
469 Posts
Everything is like $20.
A bottle of iron remover.
A clay bar kit.
A bottle of Jescar Power lock
A bottle of Collinite 845
A bag of microfiber towels
A bag of foam applicators
A bucket with a dirt trap and some sponges

So all of that times $20.

A DA polisher adds $150.
Polishing pads, and waxing pads about $12 each.
And polishing compound, about $20 a bottle.

Don’t forget a gallon of degreaser and a gallon of general purpose clean concentrates. And spray bottles for each. And containers to store everything in. I try not to add it all up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Everything is like $20.
A bottle of iron remover.
A clay bar kit.
A bottle of Jescar Power lock
A bottle of Collinite 845
A bag of microfiber towels
A bag of foam applicators
A bucket with a dirt trap and some sponges

So all of that times $20.

A DA polisher adds $150.
Polishing pads, and waxing pads about $12 each.
And polishing compound, about $20 a bottle.

Don’t forget a gallon of degreaser and a gallon of general purpose clean concentrates. And spray bottles for each. And containers to store everything in. I try not to add it all up.
This is extremely helpful!! Expensive up front, but I would imagine you can get a few uses out of most of them?

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
469 Posts
The bottle of Collinite 845 will last me probably 10 years. The bottle of PowerLock will probably last 10 years. You use so little of the those products.

I did everything by hand last summer on the ‘19. Looking forward to using the DA polisher on the ‘12 & ‘13 when spring gets here.

If I picked the minimum to do, it would be a clay bar and the Collinite 845.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
4 Posts
Sounds like what you're looking for is Sealant and not wax. Wax is designed more for supreme gloss with some protection, however not designed for long term protection. Sealant on the other hand may not give you that intense gloss that wax may give however its designed to last quiet a while. You can definitely go 6 months on a coat of sealant. In general most waxes at most will provide 2, maybe 3 months of protection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts