Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in San Francisco on a VERY steep hill (22% grade) and my short 6' driveway transitions quickly from the street slope to level garage floor. As a result my front driver's side tire lifts off the ground when pulling into the garage.

I just replaced my 1996 Subaru Legacy L (255k miles) with a 2019 Subaru Forester Limited. The Legacy easily pulled into the garage despite the front driver's side tire lifting off the ground. So imagine my shock when the brand new Forester is now having issues.

As I pull into the garage the front driver's side tire briefly lifts off the ground. In the Forester this wheel spins while in the air and leaves marks and tire shavings as it touches back down while spinning. (Not good for everyday activity.) In the Legacy this wheel didn't spin when off the ground. I've tried using X-Mode with only slight improvement.

Why does the 2019 Forester have this issue and the 1996 Legacy does not? How can I stop the wheel off the group from spinning so I don't have to replace the front driver's side tire every 6 months?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,512 Posts
@audreyln -
Wow -
You have got to have one bizarre set up to only get one wheel off the ground... So not only 22% grade to flat but also at an angle?
What was the contractor thinking...

The difference in behavior between the two vehicles may be a difference is in the wheelbase or wheel size between the two cars..
In any case the wheel spin when elevated off the ground sounds normal.

As far as needing a tire because of that... Not an issue - It may be cosmetic for the garage floor, but insignificant to your tire.
You might try a little less power going over the threshold or a little more speed before it and then foot off the pedal as you cross it.
Either method should lessen the effect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My understanding is that it is detected that the wheel is spinning and the brake is applied to the spinning wheel. This applies to each of the four independently. At least this is how its supposed to work. So the wheel should not keep spinning when off the ground entering the garage. On my 2016 Forester, something similar happens. If I put the front wheels on a two foot snow bank with the back wheels on flat, packed snow, I find the front wheels spin and burn rubber (no automatic braking) in the snow and no power is applied to the back wheels. Back wheels are inactive. This is not how the system is supposed to behave IIUC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts