Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CTV
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Forester. I notice a definite vibration which is noticeable when driving. I feel it through my left resting leg especially noticeable when using the foot rest. Is this because of the boxer engine or is there an issue? Anyone else experiencing this issue>

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,918 Posts
It's not the boxer... it is actually one of the smoother running engine designs in terms of vibration.
There are a lot of potential causes, and pretty difficult to say what is going on based on a symptom which you haven't described very well.
Engine vibrations are typically rpm dependent, and may come and go as those change.
Wheel / tire issues can vary by speed - if a tire is out of balance, that's a good source and easily corrected. It could also be a tire defect (out of round).
Some tires interact with the road surface better than others and you can sometimes get vibration from that (e.g. road rain grooves).

If you have a 2019, it has to be under warranty.
Have the dealer check it out.
If you want the car back in a reasonable time, be able to note what / where / how you notice the issue if it's an intermittent thing.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe
42 Posts
I’ve reported the same thing. It’s especially prevalent when going over 45mph and really pronounced on the highway. Had wheels road force balanced but that didn’t help. Not really sure what to do at this point.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe
42 Posts
I’m taking the car back into the dealer on the 28th. The service manager will be riding along with me so I can demonstrate the vibration. Just got back from a movie and my wife and I couldn’t stand the ride on the highway. It was terrible when doing 75-80mph. It felt like the entire car was a vibrating massager (not in a good way). I honestly dread the though of taking this thing on the highway and can’t imagine having to do any more than 30 mins on a long stretch at those speeds. I really hope they can figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CTV
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope you can solve the problem and pass on any recommendations from the dealer. My vibration isn't that bad but I feel it through the floorboards by my left leg and lightly in the steering wheel. Also, I feel every bump in the road. Do you think it might be the tire pressure? This is my fourth Forester and haven't had this experience as bad before.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe
42 Posts
There seems to be more vibration than before at any speed. I’m coming from a ‘15 Forester, which I felt was a little tighter on the suspension side but seemed to cruise without much vibration at any speed. This new one has a very tight “super sprung” feeling at almost any speed. I’m hoping the high speed vibration issue is something separate from that, but either way, unless something can be done, I really wish I had my old Forester back.

This new global platform is supposed to be using some type of stronger steel and I’ve heard every review mention how they’ve reduced NVH, but it’s the exact opposite as far as vibration.

As far as tire pressure, I have a compressor and bought a digital tire gauge. I made sure the tires were cold and filled them to spec. It didn’t seem to make a difference. Also, the rim size shouldn’t matter. My old Forester wore 17” rims and this is 18”. My wife’s car is a 2013 Santa Fe, with 19” rims and is smooth.

Kind of sucks when you spend this money and an 6 year old Hyundai with 103k miles is smoother than your brand new car.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe
42 Posts
I hope you can solve the problem and pass on any recommendations from the dealer. My vibration isn't that bad but I feel it through the floorboards by my left leg and lightly in the steering wheel. Also, I feel every bump in the road. Do you think it might be the tire pressure? This is my fourth Forester and haven't had this experience as bad before.

Have you reported it to your dealer? Hopefully one of us will find a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
Not something I'm getting. I looked specifically for it on my test drive and since after delivery. It's different from my Forte, of course, but nothing stands out as vibration. I did have a problem at one point with the Forte that sounds similar and IIRC it was both a balance and alignment and maybe some suspension "things" (not a mechanic obviously). It did seem to be more pronounced at certain higher speeds which suggest maybe there is some harmonic interaction going on making a particular frequency more obvious and damping others?

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe
42 Posts
I hope it doesn’t come down to them denying it because they know it’s a costly amount of engine mount or suspension replacement work.

I predict more people that received one of the “batch” of plagued Foresters, will start speaking up.

We all are within warranty so I’m hopeful Subaru will take care of us, as this doesn’t seem to be model specific.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CTV
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was just corresponding with my Service Manager. He hasn't heard anything from Subaru Canada about vibration issues. He does, however, want me to bring in my Forester for a diagnosis and see if they can rectify this problem. I hope so because driving is no pleasure any more. I had a similar situation with a Forester many years ago and it was simply a fault with one of the tires. Hope it's that simple this time. Such a shame when you spend over $30,000 for a new car.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe
42 Posts
Took it to the dealer today and we went for a test drive. The service manager could sense the vibration so we changed the tires to "Avids?". That seemed to mask the problem but it was still there. Apparently there are some Subaru engineers visiting on Friday for another vehicle so I left mine there for them to look at.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CTV
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reply. Interesting about the tires. I had a similar problem with my 2014 Subaru and it was a defective tire. Hopefully, that's all it is this time. I will be interested to know what the Subaru engineers have to say. My vibration seems to be getting worse. I feel it in my resting foot and up through the steering wheel. Did they do a balance on your wheels before replacing the tires? I go to the dealer on Monday to see if they can figure out the problem. On the service order they've put "suspension diagnosis". I sure hope it's not the suspension. Other than the vibration, how is your ride overall? I seem to feel every bump in the road. This is my fourth Forester and I haven't had this problem before to such an extent.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe
42 Posts
I feel the vibration through the wheel pretty much all the time, especially when you are barely holding it, at any speed. I noticed it's worse at around 1100 rpm in general. If you're cruising at 35mph in "I" mode and then change to "S#" mode, its lessened slightly. Once I hit around 50mph, the vibration is worse (and also much more apparent through the floorboard) and changing modes doesn't seem to have an effect. I know all cars vibrate to an extent, but this vibration is especially annoying. I don't remember having anything like it with my 2015 Forester Premium. It definitely does feel like I feel more of the road in this model. The suspensions seems tighter, but cushioned for the bigger bumps. So you can feel all the small stuff, but the bigger stuff it's as brutal. Kind of odd if you ask me. The wheels were balanced the same day as I bought it when I first came back to report the vibration. I also ended up going back for a road force balance.

I'm also hoping this is not something that is only noticed by some people (like you and I), but affects the entire model line.

I'll let you know what happens. Definitely let me know if they find anything on your end as well. I'm hoping between the two of us, we can nail down what it is. I've also read that in some cases, this kind of thing can be caused by the drivetrain balance.

The ride overall, is actually pretty good. It handles well and the steering is tight. My only complaint is the vibration at this point.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester
16 Posts
I got significant vibration today for a couple of minutes while driving around 60 mph just in the city. Just without any reason at all.
Then it started gradually disappear and after several miles the car got to normal.
My wife noticed the vibration too and got very scared.

This is after 800 miles from the purchase. So technically brake-in is not yet over. Before that, in the morning, I noticed strange sound for a couple seconds in the bottom back, when drove via paved road, covered with 6 inches of show. I thought that was some external obstacle.
But vibration appeared only after 30 minutes or so after that incident.

One of the test-drive cars from the dealer has vibration issues as well, of unknown nature, too. But mainly when in Parking :(

1 - 20 of 95 Posts