Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone having an issue with the STARLINK Emergency Service light going red and getting a health notification?

I’ve taken it in several times, they replaced the head unit with no change.

I have a 2019 Sport (Dark Blue) with standard head unit.

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
114 Posts
I’ve been seeing this since I purchased the car last April. Dealer “ thinks “it is due tomekeeping a Scan Guage II connected to the OBDII port,and he may be right, but there is no prohibition about doing so and it did not occur with my 2017 Touring. SOA does not respond to either email or snail mail on the subject.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
239 Posts
I had a
@johndixs I had a gadget (an "Automatic" dongle) connected to the OBD II port, and also got error messages from Starlink. I removed the dongle, and the problem disappeared. The Starlink service does almost everything the Automatic device did, so I gave the Automatic device to a friend.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
545 Posts
It's a known issue, complete with a Subaru TSB. From the TSB...

This Service Information Bulletin provides insight in response to both customer and retailer feedback resulting from the use of OBD-II port connected devices. These devices are often employed by insurance companies to monitor driver activity for premium calculations (premium discounts). Commonly referred to as discount tools, driver monitors or dongles, the use of these devices can interfere with normal STARLINK system operation.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10168623-0001.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all!! I have an Automatic plugged into to my OBD-II port. Just pulled it out. Will see if that does the trick!
Thanks! Love this forum and all the Subaru peeps!

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
114 Posts
Is anyone having an issue with the STARLINK Emergency Service light going red and getting a health notification?

I’ve taken it in several times, they replaced the head unit with no change.

I have a 2019 Sport (Dark Blue) with standard head unit. View attachment 528601
Sorry for the delay in answering,but I believe the problem has been resolved.
This is the fourth vehicle in which I have installed the same ScanGuageII. With the third vehicle,a 2017 Forester Touring,I sent in the ScanGuage for an update.That was 2016 and the version received was 4.22. Last weekIwas looking in at the ScanGuage site and found out they were now at version 4.53, so I sent in the unit and received it back ( very quickly, I might add ) and reinstalled*. So far the overhead Starlink light remains green. Crossing my fingers.
*I did have to re-enter two X-gauges that I like: Fuel level and Transmission fluid temp.

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
114 Posts
Revision 1 re ScanGuageII with version 4.53: I’ve noted that if I start the car outside,i.e., in view of the satellites, I get an immediate Starlink green light,andit remains on throughout the drive (no tunnels here in South Florida ). However, if the car is started in the garage, the Starlink red light illuminates and remains on throughout the drive. I’ve not checked this aberrationout against the auto start/stop system,but will today. I’d expect the green light after an auto stop/start sequence.

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
114 Posts
Revision 1 re ScanGuageII with version 4.53: I’ve noted that if I start the car outside,i.e., in view of the satellites, I get an immediate Starlink green light,andit remains on throughout the drive (no tunnels here in South Florida ). However, if the car is started in the garage, the Starlink red light illuminates and remains on throughout the drive. I’ve not checked this aberrationout against the auto start/stop system,but will today. I’d expect the green light after an auto stop/start sequence.
Revision 2 of the experience with software version 4.53.
If the car is started in the garage with the red Starlink coming on before the car is moved outside where it can see satellites,the red light remains on,and that stays is maintained thru any number of engine stop/start cycles at traffic lights. In order to get the Starlink system to go green, the car must be stopped,engine shut off and one must wait until the ScanGuageII system shuts off as evidenced by the display going blank. If the car is started before that, the Starlink will then stay in its prior, red light, or OFF status and not cycle to green.

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
114 Posts
Revision 2 of the experience with software version 4.53.
If the car is started in the garage with the red Starlink coming on before the car is moved outside where it can see satellites,the red light remains on,and that stays is maintained thru any number of engine stop/start cycles at traffic lights. In order to get the Starlink system to go green, the car must be stopped,engine shut off and one must wait until the ScanGuageII system shuts off as evidenced by the display going blank. If the car is started before that, the Starlink will then stay in its prior, red light, or OFF status and not cycle to green.

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
114 Posts
Post #10 can be deleted as it is an unintentional copy.

What I can add to this discussion is that in my 2019 Touring with ScanGuageII plugged in but with the Starlink red light on, I’ve experienced a number of instantaneous failures of the adaptive cruise control system, in traffic,at the posted speed limit,on an interstate. I sent a snail mail to SOA after the first one, but did not receive a response. Should an accident occur,the legal jockeying might be very interesting, as:
1. There is no prohibition in the owners manual as to running with the ScanGuageII plugged in.
2. There is a mail at SOA on record ( I did phone them, and they acknowledged receipt of that letter.) explaining this system failure mode.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
595 Posts
Post #10 can be deleted as it is an unintentional copy.

What I can add to this discussion is that in my 2019 Touring with ScanGuageII plugged in but with the Starlink red light on, I’ve experienced a number of instantaneous failures of the adaptive cruise control system, in traffic,at the posted speed limit,on an interstate. I sent a snail mail to SOA after the first one, but did not receive a response. Should an accident occur,the legal jockeying might be very interesting, as:
1. There is no prohibition in the owners manual as to running with the ScanGuageII plugged in.
2. There is a mail at SOA on record ( I did phone them, and they acknowledged receipt of that letter.) explaining this system failure mode.
While it’s always difficult to predict how the courts may decide issues, I don’t think there’s any legal requirement for a manufacturer to detail every single possible incompatibility with every possible external attached device to a product, whether it’s a vehicle or a toaster.

And, if unless a manufacturer specifically states a 3rd party device is compatible with its product, I suspect a plaintiff wouldn’t get very far if an actual case were ever to be brought because of such an incompatibility...

Apple states iPhone owners should use only approved chargers for its iPhones, and I don’t think many courts would find Apple liable if I decide to hook my phone up directly to my wall outlet and end up electrocuting myself, even though I’ve never seen any Apple instruction specifically prohibiting it.

Of course, that’s just my opinion...

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
114 Posts
While it’s always difficult to predict how the courts may decide issues, I don’t think there’s any legal requirement for a manufacturer to detail every single possible incompatibility with every possible external attached device to a product, whether it’s a vehicle or a toaster.

And, if unless a manufacturer specifically states a 3rd party device is compatible with its product, I suspect a plaintiff wouldn’t get very far if an actual case were ever to be brought because of such an incompatibility...

Apple states iPhone owners should use only approved chargers for its iPhones, and I don’t think many courts would find Apple liable if I decide to hook my phone up directly to my wall outlet and end up electrocuting myself, even though I’ve never seen any Apple instruction specifically prohibiting it.

Of course, that’s just my opinion...
Thank you for what sounds like a”learned “ legal opinion,and I see your point. Do you think the failure of SOA to acknowledge my letter of last year, stating the issue and the safety concern, changes the situation at all?
Just to provide further background, the information provided at the Linear Logic website ( the manufacturer ) makes it clear the intended usage of this equipment includes usage during active driving activity. Current Subaru Forester models are included in the list of vehicles they say are covered functionally by their device.
I would also repeat some personal history with this product and Subaru. Prior to my current 2019 Touring version,I owned a new 2017 Touring model. This same ScanGuageII performed flawlessly with that vehicle,and absent any interface problems with Starlink functions. When I picked up the 2019 Touring model,I simply took the same ScanGuageII and installed it in the new car,and the problems began.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
213 Posts
State Farm uses a stand alone devise that links to my smartphone. It sits in my glove compartment. Is this a simular devise, but plugged in? For good driving I'm supposed to get a discount, but even thought I'm good to very good in all measured area, my 6 month discount amounts to several dollars and not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
114 Posts
State Farm uses a stand alone devise that links to my smartphone. It sits in my glove compartment. Is this a simular devise, but plugged in? For good driving I'm supposed to get a discount, but even thought I'm good to very good in all measured area, my 6 month discount amounts to several dollars and not worth the trouble.
Hard to say it is similar without seeing it, Dan,but if you google scanguageII you can see what their system looks like and does. In essence, it makes just a good deal of the data measured by the vehicle’s on board data system available to the driver thru a display. The display is limited to 4 data streams at any given time,but the driver can,by virtue of pushing a button on the display, call up any of a number of other parameters.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
595 Posts
Thank you for what sounds like a”learned “ legal opinion,and I see your point. Do you think the failure of SOA to acknowledge my letter of last year, stating the issue and the safety concern, changes the situation at all?
Just to provide further background, the information provided at the Linear Logic website ( the manufacturer ) makes it clear the intended usage of this equipment includes usage during active driving activity. Current Subaru Forester models are included in the list of vehicles they say are covered functionally by their device.
I would also repeat some personal history with this product and Subaru. Prior to my current 2019 Touring version,I owned a new 2017 Touring model. This same ScanGuageII performed flawlessly with that vehicle,and absent any interface problems with Starlink functions. When I picked up the 2019 Touring model,I simply took the same ScanGuageII and installed it in the new car,and the problems began.
The lack of response from a manufacturer regarding the difficulties caused by the attachment of a 3rd party device really is irrelevant IMO...there’s certainly no legal requirement for Subaru to respond (though it might be nice to get, at a minimum, a standardized reply acknowledging the receipt of the letter), and in fact, that could be due to instructions from its legal team.

Again, Subaru doesn’t have any control over what any 3rd party manufacturer may say or claim regarding how it’s product interfaces with a Subaru.... Just because a device worked on a previous model means nothing legally. Going back to my earlier iPhone example, Apple isn’t liable for a 3rd party app that worked on a previous model phone that no longer works on a later model phone. (I have an app on my iPhone that allows me to code the different modules in my BMW, provided by an app maker residing in a Germany. It works well on my current BMW. If I purchase a new BMW, and the app doesn’t work correctly on that vehicle, even though the app maker states it should work exactly the same way...would Apple be at fault? BMW perhaps? Its difficult to see how...)

Another poster mentioned having some difficulty with an Insurer-supplied device that connects to the ODBII port, used to offer rate discounts. I’ve seen others with the same issue, and the solution provided by dealers was “stop using it and unplug it”, which is what, I assume, they did.

Here‘s a good “though experiment” that may provide some clarity...

If using the Scan Gauge causes Starlink issues, then there’s only 2 possibilities... either the vehicle is faulty or the 3rd party device is faulty. So, imagine going into the dealership and telling the your intent is to invoke your state’s “lemon law” provisions, because Subaru refuses to address the “fault”.

How might you imagine that conversation going?

·
Registered
2019 ForesterTouring 2.5
114 Posts
The lack of response from a manufacturer regarding the difficulties caused by the attachment of a 3rd party device really is irrelevant IMO...there’s certainly no legal requirement for Subaru to respond (though it might be nice to get, at a minimum, a standardized reply acknowledging the receipt of the letter), and in fact, that could be due to instructions from its legal team.

Again, Subaru doesn’t have any control over what any 3rd party manufacturer may say or claim regarding how it’s product interfaces with a Subaru.... Just because a device worked on a previous model means nothing legally. Going back to my earlier iPhone example, Apple isn’t liable for a 3rd party app that worked on a previous model phone that no longer works on a later model phone. (I have an app on my iPhone that allows me to code the different modules in my BMW, provided by an app maker residing in a Germany. It works well on my current BMW. If I purchase a new BMW, and the app doesn’t work correctly on that vehicle, even though the app maker states it should work exactly the same way...would Apple be at fault? BMW perhaps? Its difficult to see how...)

Another poster mentioned having some difficulty with an Insurer-supplied device that connects to the ODBII port, used to offer rate discounts. I’ve seen others with the same issue, and the solution provided by dealers was “stop using it and unplug it”, which is what, I assume, they did.

Here‘s a good “though experiment” that may provide some clarity...

If using the Scan Gauge causes Starlink issues, then there’s only 2 possibilities... either the vehicle is faulty or the 3rd party device is faulty. So, imagine going into the dealership and telling the your intent is to invoke your state’s “lemon law” provisions, because Subaru refuses to address the “fault”.

How might you imagine that conversation going?
Not well. They already know that the Starlink install in the vehicle works per-spec without the ScanGuageII connected. Also,the fact that it functions fine when the car is started outside combined with the arguments you made above, tend to point at some software standard (and perhaps an update provision in same )for the OBDII system that is poorly understood by one of the parties. Be nice to have another data point from another ScanGuageII owner with the latest update version 4.53.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an Allstate Insurance "DriveWise" box connected and would receive daily error messages...

Removing the DriveWise device corrected the issue immediately..

I reached out to Allstate about the issue and they acknowledged the issue.. They are planning on discontinuing the device and changing to a phone App in the near future..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts