Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First - my apologies if the has already been addressed elsewhere. I looked and couldn't find the same situation. I have 2019 Forester Limited with 39,500 miles on it. I replaced all 4 tires about 3,000 ago and had a 4 wheel alignment. Just one time recently the entire vehicle was vibrating, including the steering wheel. It felt exactly like when a tire is out of balance or you're in need of an alignment, or one tire was deflated too much. It became bad enough that I pulled over off the interstate. I visually inspected the vehicle and saw or heard nothing. I turned the car off and restarted it and it immediately went away and hasn't happened again. Any idea what may have caused this? It only happened once but I am concerned.

Thanks

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,672 Posts
By any chance were you driving in slush or snow when or shortly before the vibration occurred? Sometimes snow or ice will build up on the inside of the rim causing an out of balance vibration. Happened to me once when I drove through a berm left by a snow plow. Thought I screwed something up but it was just snow packed on the inside of the wheel rim.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, the night before I drove 2 hours in a HORRIBLE snow storm. The vibrating occurred the next morning when the roads were plowed. Think this may have caused it?

(BTW, the Forester performed great in the snow, along with my new Hankook Kinergy 4S2 All Weather tires.)

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,672 Posts
Chances are you were driving slowly in the snow storm and your vehicle never reached a speed where a vibration would be noticed that night. If the car was parked overnight in below freezing temps the snow/ice buildup on the inside of the rim may have remained. The next day you got up to a speed on the interstate where the out of balance caused by the snow/ice buildup was noticeable. Coincidentally the snow/ice buildup on the rim dislodged when you pulled over to investigate, especially if you drove over a wheel-jarring rumble strip as you pulled onto the shoulder.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, ForesterBill! This sounds like what it was!!!! I feel much better now. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts