Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who decided to get slightly bigger tires 235/60-18 vs. the stock 225/55-18, was the “larger tire look” the primary reason for going with slightly bigger tire? Or was there any other “functional” reasons? Based on what I’ve seen so far, 235/60-18 with no lift has slight rubbing under certain dry driving condition such as at full turn with suspension compressed. I thought about going 235/60-18 too, but I see two potential issues with this setup.

First. If this 235/60-18 tire has slight rubbing in certain dry condition, most likely it will get lot worse when mud or snow starts building up on the tires. We all know that these AT tires will collect ample amount of mud/snow in off-road or winter driving, not to mention the same buildup on the inside wheel walls.

Second. The larger tire diameter can seriously impact the vehicle’s active safety system. Any slight miscalculation on the vehicle speed can result delayed response and increased stopping distance, not to mention other active stability/safety control. Couple feet or even just few inches in stopping distance could mean the difference between having an accident or avoiding one.

Also while I took my 2019 Forester Sport in for first 6k miles service over the weekend, I had a chance to chat with the service manager. And he said using any non-OEM size tires with larger tire diameter WILL results void on the vehicle warranty. He emphasized that it’s critical to maintain same tire diameter if different wheel/tire setup is used for the pretty much same reasons I described above, and using larger tire will put more stress on the driveshaft, brake, engine, steering and etc…. He said that heavier tire won’t be a problem as long as the outer diameter is same but using bigger diameter tire will result void in driveshaft warranty, and he seen it happened before.

To be honest, I’m not sure if I agree with him on warranty void if larger diameter tires are used. But some of the things he said kind of make sense as tires are the only thing that the car makes contact with the road, so using different diameter can have a huge impact, lot more so than most people even realize. To me, it’s not worth the risk so I’ll stick to OEM 225/55-18 tire size when I upgrade before this winter season starts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was specifically told by my subaru dealer that larger tires and even a lift kit will NOT void the warranty. I made sure of this because my dealer has a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain. He said if you modify the suspension then only the suspensions warranty will be voided. If you modify the tires then etc... At this particular shop he said they have warrantied highly modified STI's and Crosstrecks with lift kits and massive AT tires. Your dealer could be different so id check with them

I got the 235/60R18 because I wanted an all terrain tire that could do some off roading with a little more sidewall and more width for better traction. I didnt like how the stock tires seemed to wobble. As soon as I got the new tires I immediately noticed more stability on the road. Ive gone off road but nothing a stock subbie couldnt handle already but Im doing a little more every day. Its just a personal choice that I made wanting these tires. Not for everyone of course. I personally dont experience the rubbing however I have 5mm spacer on all 4 wheels. I had the wife drive up 1 tire on a 6 Inch curb and turn full lock and I can stick a pinky finger in there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you check 2019 Forester Owner's Manual, there are numerous areas that emphasize NOT to use different or larger tires than OEM. Of course dealers will do and say anything to increase their profit, including selling bigger AT tires, and they'll promise you everything is under warranty.

But if something goes wrong with some "mod", including with slightly larger tire diameter, it's ultimately up to the Subaru HQ to decide if that setup voids warranty or not, not the local Subaru dealers. And most likely big corporation will do anything to find excuses not to pay whenever they can. And whatever the local dealer says has no legal binding unless it's clearly written by a lawyer AND backed by the Subaru HQ. Any legal dispute with a big corporation is a LONG and HARD battle, not worth your $$ and time.

I'm planning to keep my Forester for a long time and possibly give it to my daughter when she is old enough to drive, so even a slight chance of warranty void is NOT worth it to me. And the service manager I talked to told me that he seen it numerous times that cars with bigger tires voided vehicle's main warranty, and he said it's all up to the HQ.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is in every car manufacturers handbook. Ultimately its up to you to decide what you wanna do. I think everyone here who chose to go with non spec tires knew the consequences.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
267 Posts
Also these arent giant tires. This is the stock tire size on the Toyota Rav4 adventure.
Considering dealers also sell crosstreks and foresters that are lifted and with larger A/T wheels.. I don't see an issue with the warranty.

If you check 2019 Forester Owner's Manual, there are numerous areas that emphasize NOT to use different or larger tires than OEM. Of course dealers will do and say anything to increase their profit, including selling bigger AT tires, and they'll promise you everything is under warranty.

But if something goes wrong with some "mod", including with slightly larger tire diameter, it's ultimately up to the Subaru HQ to decide if that setup voids warranty or not, not the local Subaru dealers. And most likely big corporation will do anything to find excuses not to pay whenever they can. And whatever the local dealer says has no legal binding unless it's clearly written by a lawyer AND backed by the Subaru HQ. Any legal dispute with a big corporation is a LONG and HARD battle, not worth your $$ and time.

I'm planning to keep my Forester for a long time and possibly give it to my daughter when she is old enough to drive, so even a slight chance of warranty void is NOT worth it to me. And the service manager I talked to told me that he seen it numerous times that cars with bigger tires voided vehicle's main warranty, and he said it's all up to the HQ.

View attachment 524478 View attachment 524479 View attachment 524480
Luxman, Dealers want to cover their asses so these are just standard blah blah blahs. I have a BMW X5 that I modified with 22" wheels. Originally it came with 20" stock on my Msport line. Also note that the standard X5 stock wheels are 18" and 19". So take that information with a grain of salt.. Life is too short to drive boring cars.. Enjoy it now.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was specifically told by my subaru dealer that larger tires and even a lift kit will NOT void the warranty. I made sure of this because my dealer has a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain. He said if you modify the suspension then only the suspensions warranty will be voided. If you modify the tires then etc... At this particular shop he said they have warrantied highly modified STI's and Crosstrecks with lift kits and massive AT tires. Your dealer could be different so id check with them

I got the 235/60R18 because I wanted an all terrain tire that could do some off roading with a little more sidewall and more width for better traction. I didnt like how the stock tires seemed to wobble. As soon as I got the new tires I immediately noticed more stability on the road. Ive gone off road but nothing a stock subbie couldnt handle already but Im doing a little more every day. Its just a personal choice that I made wanting these tires. Not for everyone of course. I personally dont experience the rubbing however I have 5mm spacer on all 4 wheels. I had the wife drive up 1 tire on a 6 Inch curb and turn full lock and I can stick a pinky finger in there.
I plan to get the 235's on my Sport when it arrives at the dealership. ( Its on order now ). Have you experienced any kind of rubbing at all?

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
Every manufacturer has their disclaimers. Burden of Proof falls on Subaru to determine whether or not a particular aftermarket part or mod caused said damage.

Here is Subaru’s Official Statement:
ED6D7AD7-5B89-4E2A-88D3-2B9A3D59B4FE.jpeg

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah lot of the wordings you have to pay attention is "can" and "could". If SOA thought it would affect the vehicles intended performance, then the wordings should be more definite.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a VW GTI "HEAVILY Modified" with intake, downpipe, full exhaust, stage 2 tune, new wheels, 255s rather than 225s, 1.5" lowered etc...
VW honored the warranty when the had gasket blew or the coil packs were failing and when the water pump failed. They did an assesment and determined that based on the history of the vehicle maintenance that it had nothing to do with the mods. When I was at the dealer I questioned them very heavily about mods and warranty and they took me into the garage and showed me an STI with pretty much track ready mods all over. Even had all seats removed and a roll cage. New wheels/tires and who knows how many mods under the engine. They were fixing it "under warranty" after something failed ON THE TRACK. I thought this was rediculous and I wouldnt even warranty that but aparently they did. Im not saying there wont be an issue later and Im not saying you should change anything on your vehicle. Just saying bad customer service has the tendancy to bite big companies in the donkey and from what I have heard from all of my subaru owners friends they seem to care a lot about keeping their existing customers and from what Ive seen seems to be true. Friend of mine had their CVT fixed way out of warranty expiration because it was a known issue and hes got a lift and larger AT tires. I hope they continue to give good customer service like this because if they dont I have no brand loyalty and dont mind ditching them forever.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I plan to get the 235's on my Sport when it arrives at the dealership. ( Its on order now ). Have you experienced any kind of rubbing at all?

Thanks
I personally have NOT experienced rubbing at all. Ive crawled under and checked the typical spots other users say they see rubbing. Even before I installed 5mm spacers I had no rubbing but that was only for a week before I threw on the spacers. HOWEVER, several other users claim there is minor rubbing at full lock turn when the car is on a slope. This has been confirmed by several users. Im not sure why I do not have the issue. Maybe its the spacers. From what i have seen even the rubbing is very minor and nothing to worry about but it seems even something like a 3mm hub centric spacer would work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts