Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Dynamic
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until today, I was periodically getting "Could not download software update" on the media unit. Today a messages pops up asking if I wanted to download and install the latest software so I said yes :)

After about 5 minutes of downloading packets, installing and restarting, I am now on version UC.19.12.70 which I have absolutely no idea what changes or fixes it has, will try to search around the web for that.

Thought I would share for the rest of you looking at updating the head unit.

I have a non-navigation 8"

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
422 Posts
I had the dealer install the updates when in for service. Weeks of failed home wifi downloads forced me to do this. Thankfully, their USB drive update was included with the free service. Cabin air filter too.

Now the Subaru app opens on my connected iPhone when starting the car. The app wants me to enable location always, instead of only when using the app.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
29 Posts
I had the dealer install the updates when in for service. Weeks of failed home wifi downloads forced me to do this.
Are you folks saying that after you get the latest update from the dealer, we can do future software updates over WiFi at home???

There was an option to update over WiFi on my 2019 from the beginning but it doesn't do anything, it was just a placeholder for future functionality apparently. Are you saying the latest dealer update now enables this functionality?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
17 Posts
Yes, you can update software using home WIFi( my ‘19 Limited is non-Nav 8”). There is a pdf with all the steps available on the My Subaru site( you need to set up an account with email and password. All manuals are also on site.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
29 Posts
Did you have to get the latest upgrade from your dealer before the home WiFi thing would work?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
180 Posts
Did you have to get the latest upgrade from your dealer before the home WiFi thing would work?
The only updates I’ve done have been at home and on WiFi. The car will only connect to 2.4GHz and not 5.0 GHz FYI

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Dynamic
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only updates I’ve done have been at home and on WiFi. The car will only connect to 2.4GHz and not 5.0 GHz FYI
Same here, parked outside my house connected to my 2.4 GHz wifi. It kept failing for few days, until it found an update and downloaded successfully.

Enviado desde mi Mi A1 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
422 Posts
My Subaru connected to my iPhone hotspot and my home wifi, checked and the settings showed the connection.

I even sat with the car idling within wifi signal. Only saw the unable to update message.

Made sense to let the dealer deal with it while there for service.

Turned the auto check and update off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting. I tried to update my 2019 Forester today and the menu only has 'WIFI Hotspot' listed. There is no option in the menu to connect to WIFI. Maybe it's because I have the 6.5 inch screen?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
199 Posts
Interesting. I tried to update my 2019 Forester today and the menu only has 'WIFI Hotspot' listed. There is no option in the menu to connect to WIFI. Maybe it's because I have the 6.5 inch screen?
WiFi update is only available on the Sport and Touring trims. It is unclear why this is, exactly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
WiFi update is only available on the Sport and Touring trims. It is unclear why this is, exactly.
I have the Sport trim with a 6.5-inch screen and I don't have the option to connect to WiFi. My belief is that it is only available with the 8.0-inch screen on the Limited trim.

Does anyone have the option to connect to WiFi with the 6.5-inch screen and which trim do you have?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Sport
5 Posts
I have the Sport trim with a 6.5-inch screen and I don't have the option to connect to WiFi. My belief is that it is only available with the 8.0-inch screen on the Limited trim.

Does anyone have the option to connect to WiFi with the 6.5-inch screen and which trim do you have?
Yes, I do as well. I have a 2019 Forester Sport. Navigate to Settings>General>WiFi Settings

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, it's not there. I only see 'WiFi Hotspot' and 'WiFi Hotspot Settings' when I go to Settings>General.

Maybe I have an old software version that does not have that option. What version of the software do you have? I have Rel_UA.19.01.70

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just updated to Rel_UE.19.22.70 now via USB and confirmed it's in the same location. If you've updated your system at some point, could it be possible that the update didn't complete properly or was corrupt causing this to be missing for you? Maybe worth trying another manual update?

Or like you mentioned, maybe excluded from the version you have currently as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I do not have the setting either.
Rel_UE.19.22.70
Premium 6.5 screen
Edit: @DukerBytes I reread the thread and noticed you have a Sport trim. Can you confirm you have the 6.5 inch system? If so, would you mind taking a photo of the settings screen? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yea, I have the Sport trim model. Pics are attached here, initial pics are steps I take to directly get to the wifi settings... then the rest is scrolling through the entire General Settings just for comparison. If there's anything else you'd like to see just let me know and I'll make an attempt to provide :)
p.s. Just to avoid any confusion as well, I did still have to update via USB drive as I wasn't able to successfully download the update via wifi. Could successfully connect to my mobile hotspot for wifi but kept getting the download failed, would you like to retry error message every time.

Steps to Wi-Fi Settings:

General Settings List:

·
Registered
199 Posts
@DukerBytes Thank you for the detailed photos. You have the Sport trim with the 8” headunit.
The WiFi Update option is available on the 8” and not the 6.5”.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see, my apologies as I didn't realize there were multiple sizes available for the sport trim and wasn't aware that mine was above base model. Appreciate the clarification!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was considering an update to the 8” screen. I had weighed against it due to the cost, but your photos have me thinking about it again...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts