Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Europe...

I'm trying to set up Auto-Dimming Mirror with Compass and HomeLink® (H501SSG304) and Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirror with Approach Light (J201SFL301) to the European model of new Subaru Forester 2019. I went to the local dealer and we tried to install H501SSG304 first, which is required prior installing external mirrors. Internal mirror has to be connected with 5 pin connector, hidden in the roof, where I believe some pins are 12V power and rest are routed to external mirrors to guide them when to dim and power too. BUT.... Thanks to Subaru marketing, there is no required cables/connector for this for the European market.

Unfortunately, it appears that Subaru believes that Europe is still in the stone age and Subaru owners would never need auto-dimming mirror with Homelink - they probably think we do not have garages or in best case, they are non-automated. Auto-dimming mirror without Homelink cannot be connected too, for the same reason – no any free connector.

My local dealer has no access to U.S. service manuals, but said they would try to find unofficially electrical/wiring diagrams and use custom wiring to connect everything.

My question is to American fellows – for those who has account at https://techinfo.subaru.com, do you see there already service manuals and diagrams for new Forester? Does it have electrical wiring diagrams for mirrors?
I have no issues buying subscription for 3 days, but would hate to waste money if there are no diagrams I need.

Sorry for my English - it is not my native language...

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
632 Posts
You're welcome. If you need further help - just PM me. OK to use your native language (your English is quite good by the way). I use Google Translate a lot in my job and can dialogue with you in most languages. Jackie should be able to help.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dropped PM to SubaruPartsGirl (Jackie), and also contacted Gentex, original producer of the mirror, with all details and asked them if they can help clarifying the use of each of 5 wires/pins.
No luck in the last case - Gentex has rejected to help.

Hope Jackie can help somehow. :( I'm ready to order full proper wires to connect everything properly, as sson as will get information what are proper part numbers - there are three possible part numbers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m curious to find this out myself too. I upgraded and installed the Homelink mirror myself and found it to be easy so it’d be good to know how difficult it might be to do the exterior approach lighting as well.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester
16 Posts
Did you have that 5-pin connector in the roof to connect internal mirror?

For external ones, if you google part number + "installation instruction", it will lead you to PDF with exact instruction how to install, but you must have 4 available wires pre-installed in your external mirror body.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes the connector was there to connect the internal mirror into. It was covered by a thin sheet of white styrofoam-like material and then taped onto some other wires or connectors. Anyway, it wasn’t loose like you’d expect and have seen on YouTube installation videos. Mine was on the right side of the overhead panel you need to remove so for European models it’s possible that it might be on the left. Anyway, you might’ve just missed it.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We removed entire panel, and I put my hand insize as much as I could.
I also had no "free" wires behind extra mirrors.

But I will check one more time during next visit. Maybe it is really taped and we did not notice. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
2 Posts
Connectors

A question on the US model if I may. Do you know if the '19 Forester has the additional connector in the outside mirror housings to upgrade to the auto-dim version if the car did not originally come with the homelink (or auto dim) internal mirror? I want to add both to the model we're getting. I added the auto-dim externals to my 16 Legacy a couple years ago, but it already had homelink AD interior. There were comments on the Legacy forum that if the car didn't come with the AD internal, you didn't have the external mirror connectors. Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
2 Posts
Thanks Peter. It's encouraging that the older Foresters have wires for the outside mirrors in the HL mirror connector. I'll check around to see if someone has done the complete install, but chances are it will work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Greetings from Europe...

I'm trying to set up Auto-Dimming Mirror with Compass and HomeLink® (H501SSG304) and Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirror with Approach Light (J201SFL301) to the European model of new Subaru Forester 2019. I went to the local dealer and we tried to install H501SSG304 first, which is required prior installing external mirrors. Internal mirror has to be connected with 5 pin connector, hidden in the roof, where I believe some pins are 12V power and rest are routed to external mirrors to guide them when to dim and power too. BUT.... Thanks to Subaru marketing, there is no required cables/connector for this for the European market.

Unfortunately, it appears that Subaru believes that Europe is still in the stone age and Subaru owners would never need auto-dimming mirror with Homelink - they probably think we do not have garages or in best case, they are non-automated. Auto-dimming mirror without Homelink cannot be connected too, for the same reason – no any free connector.

My local dealer has no access to U.S. service manuals, but said they would try to find unofficially electrical/wiring diagrams and use custom wiring to connect everything.

My question is to American fellows – for those who has account at https://techinfo.subaru.com, do you see there already service manuals and diagrams for new Forester? Does it have electrical wiring diagrams for mirrors?
I have no issues buying subscription for 3 days, but would hate to waste money if there are no diagrams I need.

Sorry for my English - it is not my native language...
Any luck with the installation?
I just bought the auto dimming internal mirror but I couldn't find the connector in the roof.
I live in Colombia, South America...so apparently they don't include it here either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any luck with the installation?
I just bought the auto dimming internal mirror but I couldn't find the connector in the roof.
I live in Colombia, South America...so apparently they don't include it here either.
Hi!
Here in Chile I'm with the same problem, I have the 19 Forester Touring but it does not have the connector in the car to install the mirror. I'm looking for another aftermarket alternatives because I really want this auto dimming mirror.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts