Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Forester Premium, purchased last October. I’ve now experienced this twice where the moon roof is closed and I wanted to open it and went to press the button to do so and nothing happened. All other switches and electronics seem to be operating properly.., just not the moon roof switch. In both instances where this happened, it started operating normally again after I had stopped, parked, and shut off the engine (and turned it back on).

I can’t replicate the issue, and I’m now at 1 year (so electrical component warranty is out, since I didn’t extend)... but even if it was covered, since it’s sporadic and can’t be reproduced, it’s not like I can have them check it out. But if others are having this issue, maybe we all can figure out a common factor.
Anyway, I’m grasping at straws!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
191 Posts
4 months of ownership. <5k miles. I have not had this happen. Hopefully it isn't an issue waiting for after the nth use.

·
Registered
196 Posts
when you say restart, you mean turn off ignition & turn on?
Yep exactly. Pulled over. Full turn off and restart of car.

Which means it's some kind of body control module issue. Which this car seems to have plenty of issues with. I'm looking at you rear hatch controller.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep exactly. Pulled over. Full turn off and restart of car.

Which means it's some kind of body control module issue. Which this car seems to have plenty of issues with. I'm looking at you rear hatch controller.
gotcha, hasn't happened to me yet. 1200+ miles.

·
Registered
2019 Forester touring Cvt
11 Posts
Had the same issue. Restart fixed it. Long list of little annoying issues with this car.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys. I traded my 2019 in for a 2020 Touring and it’s happened twice on the new car too! So it’s definitely a consistent issue. But I can’t get it to replicate for the dealer so I’ll just have to live with it.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,321 Posts
Hey guys. I traded my 2019 in for a 2020 Touring and it’s happened twice on the new car too! So it’s definitely a consistent issue. But I can’t get it to replicate for the dealer so I’ll just have to live with it.
Here's what I would do. Next time you go to the dealer for an oil change or other service, tell the service adviser that you are having an "intermittent" problem with the moon roof. The service adviser should document that for the tech who will work on your car. A good tech may know what the fix is even if he/she cannot replicate the problem. If the tech does nothing at least you have the problem documented. If you can eventually replicate the problem but are out of warranty, that documentation may get you a free repair.

In your original post you indicated that the warranty on an electrical component is only one year. I would think that a moonroof problem as you describe would be covered for 3 years/36k miles. No?

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's what I would do. Next time you go to the dealer for an oil change or other service, tell the service adviser that you are having an "intermittent" problem with the moon roof. The service adviser should document that for the tech who will work on your car. A good tech may know what the fix is even if he/she cannot replicate the problem. If the tech does nothing at least you have the problem documented. If you can eventually replicate the problem but are out of warranty, that documentation may get you a free repair.

In your original post you indicated that the warranty on an electrical component is only one year. I would think that a moonroof problem as you describe would be covered for 3 years/36k miles. No?
I did do that with the 2019. They filled out this form, just like they did with the head unit consistently crashing when using CarPlay, and said to keep them updated. I’ve only had the 2020 since Feb, so not needed to go to the dealer quite yet but intend to mention it then as well. Hopefully by now enough others have mentioned that it’s upgraded to one of their “aware, no fix yet” issues.

As for the warranty, MULTIPLE times while purchasing the 2019, it was HAMMERED into us that the electrical components and systems like EyeSight and such were just a ONE year, 12K warranty. Now, we bought the very first 2019 Forester sold in the entire state... so I don’t know if they had been told that a shorter warranty was coming out or what... but it’s all moot now because we traded that one in for a 2020. And I throughly read the warranty booklet BEFORE signing the paperwork because I wanted to know from Subaru of America’s written documentation what was covered. And as mentioned, it’s 3 yr/36 K.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
195 Posts
As for the warranty, MULTIPLE times while purchasing the 2019, it was HAMMERED into us that the electrical components and systems like EyeSight and such were just a ONE year, 12K warranty.
According to the warranty booklet, the 12/12 warranty is for replacement parts. The 2019's have 36/36 warranty on everything. Even for wear parts like brake pads. One of my gripes when I bought my 2019 was how aggressive they were in trying to sell me add-on warranties. But at least they did not lie like that.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,321 Posts
Accessories not installed by a Subaru factory or port-of-entry may be another example of a 12/12 warranty item.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
843 Posts
I did do that with the 2019. They filled out this form, just like they did with the head unit consistently crashing when using CarPlay, and said to keep them updated. I’ve only had the 2020 since Feb, so not needed to go to the dealer quite yet but intend to mention it then as well. Hopefully by now enough others have mentioned that it’s upgraded to one of their “aware, no fix yet” issues.

As for the warranty, MULTIPLE times while purchasing the 2019, it was HAMMERED into us that the electrical components and systems like EyeSight and such were just a ONE year, 12K warranty. Now, we bought the very first 2019 Forester sold in the entire state... so I don’t know if they had been told that a shorter warranty was coming out or what... but it’s all moot now because we traded that one in for a 2020. And I throughly read the warranty booklet BEFORE signing the paperwork because I wanted to know from Subaru of America’s written documentation what was covered. And as mentioned, it’s 3 yr/36 K.
What a dealership claims regarding any new vehicle warranty is irrelevant... a warranty is an agreement between the manufacturer and the purchaser. In the case of a vehicle, the dealership only acts as an agent for the manufacturer, and can neither add nor subtract from the warranty coverage guarantees of the manufacturer specifically listed in the owner’s warranty coverage specifications, which by law are provided to the purchaser in every new vehicle sale.

A dealership can add its own additional coverage or extend the warranty at its own expense, but that is an arrangement between the dealership and the purchaser, and the manufacturer isn’t obligated in any way to adhere to it.

So, get the documentation out that you received in the sales transaction, and you can see exactly what is warranties, and for how long.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts