Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not all Foresters are the same.

I enquired recently on this forum about skid plates for 2019 Forester. After some Web browsing I ordered a set of Triple Armour plates from Primitive Racing, Oregon, USA. They had just redesigned the sump plate to incorporate a bolt on Bumper protection extension. The package of four items arrived within a week of placing the order. Amazing service and big thanks to Primitive. However upon going to fit the skid plates - shock horror - the rear diff plate and the sump plate did not fit. I checked on the included Primitive fitting instructions and saw from their photo of the underside of the US model Forester that there was a difference in how the Forester plastic dust pan was connected to the underside of the bumper compared to the NZ model. Also the Primitive supplied bracket for attaching the rear diff plate did not match my rear diff. After I sent pics and a few phone calls to Primitive we have concluded that the U Foresters have a different rear diff to our Foresters as well as a different underbody profile up front. Blake at Primitive says it looks like our Foresters have a WRX pattern diff and they will make up a bracket to suit. The sump skid plate as supplied by Primitive has a front up turn of 20 degrees (inside angle 160 degrees) My son in law works at a sheet metal works and we put the plate (5mm aluminium) in a brake press and reduced the angle to 5 degrees or so and it fits like a glove. The transmission skid plate was fine. I guess Foresters supplied to Australia and NZ would be to the same configuration. The Primitive Plates are really well made and look good and will give more peace of mind when venturing off the beaten track. Thanks to Blake and the lads at Primitive, really good service and advice. Its not their fault that Subaru don't standardise on their products, talk about a curve ball! So there you go. Have fun. IMG_20190907_160904.jpg IMG_20190907_143728.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
114 Posts
That's interesting that the NZ and USA have different components like that. I wonder why that is?

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@deeve Don't know. I will ask Subaru NZ. The Primitive Skid Plates have been fitted to the US market Sport and the top end Tourer. Maybe the US models have a better approach angle or something.. Some reviews quote an approach angle of 22.degrees while others say 19 degrees. One drawback of the Skid Plates is that they reduce ground clearance by about 20mm. I have Pitelli Scorpion AT Plus 225/65r17 tyres which increased ground clearance by 13 mm so now have nett loss of 7mm on the original 220mm. Semantics really and neither here nor there in the general scheme of things. What I do have is that the vitals are very well protected on back country trails etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts