Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trip odometers on my '19 Fozzie are always "counting", even if they are not selected. For example, if I reset them both, then select "A", and drive 10 miles, "A" will show 10, but if I then select "B", it will also show 10. B should show 0, since it had not been selected since it was reset.

They worked OK at first, but at one point I reset them both and since then they've been doing this. I have tried various combinations of reset & select, but without change.

The car is brand new and under warranty, but if I can fix this on my own I would rather do that than take it to the dealer.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring
29 Posts
Now all I have owned are Subaru vehicles, but as far back as I can recall with regard to trip meters with dual counters, that is how they have operated. As for my usage, I would designate one of them for a long measurement and the other for shorter or incremental measurements.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The trip odometers on my '19 Fozzie are always "counting", even if they are not selected. For example, if I reset them both, then select "A", and drive 10 miles, "A" will show 10, but if I then select "B", it will also show 10. B should show 0, since it had not been selected since it was reset.

They worked OK at first, but at one point I reset them both and since then they've been doing this. I have tried various combinations of reset & select, but without change.

The car is brand new and under warranty, but if I can fix this on my own I would rather do that than take it to the dealer.

Thanks,
Bob
I have never encountered a vehicle with dual trips that operate the way you think it should- there is nothing to fix. Have you actually thought this through? Whats the point of a trip odometer if it has to be selected to work? Why have 2 if one only works when it's selected?

As mentioned already, most people use one for current tank and one as overall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... Have you actually thought this through?
Well, yeah ... I only posted because I wanted to use them independently.

Whats the point of a trip odometer if it has to be selected to work? Why have 2 if one only works when it's selected?...
Here's the point: you can keep track of specific activities. You can reserve one odometer to record business miles or charitable activity miles (necessary for taxes) or whatever to want to isolate. Only want to record those miles when doing that thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rainlake, elDubDub - thanks. I guess that I can live with it. Not much better than my '92 Volvo & keeping track in a notebook.

I guess that I was wrong about "They worked OK at first"

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring
29 Posts
Well, yeah ... I only posted because I wanted to use them independently.

Here's the point: you can keep track of specific activities. You can reserve one odometer to record business miles or charitable activity miles (necessary for taxes) or whatever to want to isolate. Only want to record those miles when doing that thing.
I can certainly see your use case, and possibly a suggestion for an option!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here's another cool use for independent odometers: use A for highway and B for off-highway. Then each would accumulate total miles on and off and would give you a cumulative and real-time MPG for each. Which you can only get currently by writing down each on & off highway mileage and MPG, calculating the gas used and adding it all up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
All the use cases can easily handled by use your phone. That been said, manufacturers really should keep up what drivers want, like Tesla do

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2020 has the dual system and I find it useful as I use the "A" for tracking distance between fill-ups and "B" for short trips between fill-ups. As I've only had the vehicle a few weeks I'mm still playing with the various displays and have noticed that if you select one, say "B" it shows up on the display on the upper dash and then when you reset it it zero's the gas consumption etc so you can see what your getting on that portion of the trip while retaining the "A" distance for overall. I find it useful but then I really like gadgets.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks,
Bob
You reset both, now both are runming. Then if you want to see how far itis to the grocery store simply reset B to zero. A will tell you total miles since reset, B will also show you miles sinc you reset B.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You reset both, now both are runming. Then if you want to see how far it is to the grocery store simply reset B to zero. A will tell you total miles since reset, B will also show you miles since you reset B.
Sure, but there's no way to see how many miles were driven to the grocery store this month. I.e., a running total.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts